Ok, so I just got a new computer. It's 8GB/640GB with a Core i5. It's a laptop. I figured I would get a laptop because the desktops didn't have any more memory than it, and I could use it at school.

Now, this is probably beat to death, but what would be an appropriate software for making IDM/Electronic? I also want to be able to add some guitar here and there, so it needs to have audio recording capability. All I need to be able to do for the guitar is to record with a Shure SM57. Maybe some small editing features for the guitar would be nice too. Main thing I need is a virtual synth and virtual drum machine on the program. Maybe some sampling abilities.

I'm looking at Pro Tools 9 or Fruity Loops Producer. Pro Tools seems like it would be easier to learn to use (because there is more support for it out there). Any other ideas?

Can my computer handle it? I can add a stick of memory to it as well if needed.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Last edited by Goin' Mobile at Sep 20, 2011,
Look into Reason. With version 5 you could do sample recording, but with 6 coming out this fall it is more of a full on production DAW. It has a great variety of drums and synths and is very CPU friendly and efficient. I have also found it to be extremely easy to use.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Another vote for Reason. While i didn't find it as easy as the main DAWs to use (Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, etc) it did have some really good sounds and production tools.
Reaper! It's free and laid out very similar to PT. I use both (Reaper is my preference). Reaper is free and amazing
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
Reaper! It's free and laid out very similar to PT. I use both (Reaper is my preference). Reaper is free and amazing

Lol, why Pot?

is that shit dope?
Quote by Afroboy267
Lol, why Pot?

is that shit dope?

YES!!

My surname is also Stoner, so I'm obligated by my congregation.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Reaper isn't "free" it's nagware. You're meant to buy it after the 30 day usage, but the program it's self wont stop you using it. I ended up buying it after a while cuz the licence is very cheap for home use (got mine for £35)
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Ok, thanks. I've heard good things about Reason. It has gotten some great reviews. But my friend told me not to get it because it's more for hip-hop. (which is why I didn't mention it)

Next question:

What is 64 bit? I asked my neighbor, who records, and he said, "It's irrelevant. It won't even matter because the sound quality on a CD isn't even 64 bit." Is this true? This matters a lot to me, because sound is VERY important. I don't want poor audio quality. And also, will Reason sound any different than Logic or Pro Tools or any other software? Which has the best sound quality, or are they all the same?
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
CD sound is NOT 64 bit. It is 16 bit. 64 bit is just more numbers which can lead to more resolution, it's basically just head room and matters little. Some people can mix in 16 bit from the off because they know exactly what they're doing.

If you don't know how 64 bit will benefit you then you probably don't need it.

But at a basic level it's the amount of times the Digital Signal samples the analogue sound.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 22, 2011,
Reason is not just for hip hop. It is very versatile in it's features and does not just focus on hip hop. I myself have used it a lot for industrial and electronica as well as adding synths and loops to some metal tracks.

Also, with Reason 6 coming out next week, you should be able to find some discounted prices on the Reason5/Record 1.5 duo, which could potentially save you some money because Reason is offering a pay what you want upgrade on 6 for registered Reason/Record duo owners.

http://www.propellerheads.se/paywhatyouwant/?utm_source=11sep21news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=11sep21news
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Errrr... The "64 bit" I assume you're talking about, is the DAWs architecture. If it is 64 bit, it will require you to have a 64 bit operating system to run it. 64 bit has huge advantages, in that you can use much more RAM in the OS and programs that support it (W7 Pro x64 supports up to 128GB of RAM, compared to x86 (32 bit) which is only 4GB, if I'm not mistaken).

Since your laptop came stock with 8GB of RAM, it should be running a 64 bit OS, so you can run 32 OR 64 bit programs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 23, 2011,