I've noticed that a lot of lyricists in the pop-punk and "emo" (both old school and modern) styles will often craft pretty poetic lyrics that describe human emotions, but they're typically devoid of those very specific concrete metaphors that characterize more progressive styles. They're not extremely cryptic, and it's very easy to tell what they're talking about, but they just present it in a creative way. Some examples of what I'm talking about are (pre 2006) Mayday Parade, early All Time Low, Taking Back Sunday, post-2000 Green Day, blink-182 on a few select songs, basically any "teen angst" music that falls out of the very obvious Korn, Linkin Park type stuff.

I'm basically looking for a way to convey emotion without resorting to "I feel so ____" or "my heart is like a baseball bat". I'm trying to avoid blunt presentation of feelings, and also oblique, weird metaphors. Does anyone know what I mean/have some suggestions for what they do when trying to do this?

Thanks a lot, sorry if my question's pretty vague.
Think of anything that reminds you of what you're actually writing about, and write about that instead. For example, I use space imagery as metaphors for loneliness, heartache, etc. because space is mostly dark, cold, and empty.

You really have to think it through if you want to write really vague metaphorical lyrics. It's not easy, and there's a fine line between vague and incomprehensible.

Good luck to you, mate.
Thanks, I totally agree with what you said about there being a fine line between them. I think what's beautiful about this kind of writing is that the lyrics are extremely accessible, but they tend to avoid cliches in favor of inventing new and unique (but still comprehensible) analogies for things. And when they address cliche ideas, it's usually with some kind of poetic twist. The song in question I was trying to write I've pretty much finished up; I might post it in S+L tomorrow.
Tell from a third person perspective. Build up tension. For me with songs it's not about being clever; it's about them makin me care about their karaokes. Great songwriting (imo) comes down to this, talking about familar (relatable) characters in ways/perspectives never described before.