So, just briefly what I am working on is buying an RG471AH (ash body) and I will be replacing the humbuckers with DiMarzio Breeds. I will be setting these up to coil tap, also. I am at about the 2/3 mark as far as saving the total money to do everything I'm going to want to do. I am having the following two problems:

1. I can't decide on what to replace the single coil in the middle with. Right now I've had several people tell me the DiMarzio HS-3, but I would really like to have some more suggestions and some reasoning as to why this or that pickup, etc.

2. I'm thinking about installing some onboard effects in the guitar, and I've looked at kits for adding chorus/rotary type effects and some delays and emulated tube distortion. I don't really have any experience with these and I'd be installing them blind (well, I'd probably install them on a junk guitar I have first just to make sure they don't sound abyssmal), and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions here, or if they've used any onboard effects how they've felt about them, etc.

The main type of music I play would probably be like post grunge and modern blues. I also play some thrash metal, doom metal and straight up hard rock. I need to make sure my sound is as versatile as possible, but really want it to shine with modern blues (think Robin Trower and then Joe Bonamassa...lean a little more towards Trower) and still pull off passable thrash metal tones. I use several amp modelers, multi-effects units, Blackheart Little Giant, Peavey Transtube, an Orange solid state. Bunch of variety in equipment - I'm an equipment addict. Anyway, any suggestions on pickups or opinions about onboard effects?
1. Is there not a single-coil version of the Breed? I know that there is/was with the Evolution, Vai's other pickup set.

2. I think it would be far easier/simpler/cheaper/efficient to just use effects pedals instead of installing them on the guitar itself. I know it's cool the customize your guitar but I can't see the point of doing that.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
1. Is there not a single-coil version of the Breed? I know that there is/was with the Evolution, Vai's other pickup set.

2. I think it would be far easier/simpler/cheaper/efficient to just use effects pedals instead of installing them on the guitar itself. I know it's cool the customize your guitar but I can't see the point of doing that.

1. There is a single coil Breed but only in guitars that come with Breeds stock. They don't sell it individually.

2. The point would be for the fun of installing it, for one. Also, would be able to carry my basic effects with me just in my guitar instead of getting my pedalboard or my multi-effects unit to just go jam with a friend, etc.
I would go with the Evolution to compliment the Breeds. I have the Breeds in my Soloist custom build and love them. As far as the effects IN the guitar I would forget that. You will enjoy the pickups alone not with all the extras. Get a good Tube Screamer and a Fuzz pedal and your set

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
I would go with the Evolution to compliment the Breeds. I have the Breeds in my Soloist custom build and love them. As far as the effects IN the guitar I would forget that. You will enjoy the pickups alone not with all the extras. Get a good Tube Screamer and a Fuzz pedal and your set

I was thinking about the Evolution middle, but I've heard a few people say they don't match up well with the breeds and make positions 2 and 4 sound like crap. I thought the pickups were really pretty similar between the breeds and evolutions, but I've had a few people swear differently.

Do you have any experience with onboard effects?
Sorry, I've never heard Evolutions except with Vai's stuff and a few YouTube demos - I've messed with guitars with Breeds in them before. I don't know much about Evolutions.