Page 3 of 23
Led Zeppelin (as well as Hendrix and Beatles) each laid different foundations that progressive bands built upon.

As for Rome and Illum, I'll touch up the list as soon as I have access to a comp again. I would like to keep the best of as one album per band though, I wanted to put Larks Tongues there but opted for Red because it seems to be more universally appreciated amongst prog guys. I apologize for forgetting the Rush and DCD, which is why I asked for help with the list. Appreciate it guys
Quote by progbass
Led Zeppelin (as well as Hendrix and Beatles) each laid different foundations that progressive bands built upon.

Sabbath too? I mean I guess I could see that with songs like Black Sabbath, War Pigs, Rat Salad, and a few others... But...
Planet Caravan? War Pigs? NIB?

they had an obvious influence on the formation of metal, but compare Crimson's and Tull's heavier moments , along with the power chord riffing all over Larks' instrumental pieces, the folk and blues excursions, the list goes on.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Yeah that proto prog list seems kinda weird and pointless. Feels like maybe it'd be more helpful to turn it into a section for psychedelic rock that came before prog, since you already have Beatles and Hendrix in there. Doors' first two would definitely fit, as well as Cream and Pink Floyd's debut
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Are Marillion considered Neo-Prog? Granted, I have no idea what they're doing now or how their later albums sounded like.

Also, anyone has any suggestions for something like Gordian Knot? I might do a little track per track write up for Emergent for this thread if I find the time.

discuss
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by illuminatiano
the most important being, where the fuck is Dead Can Dance's Within the Realm of a Dying Sun ? That's by far my favorite and I know for a couple others as well (Sam I know for one).

It's by far my favourite as well.
Thread needs more capes.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.

Rick Daywakerman.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Thanks for the list. I've been meaning to listen to more older prog stuff, so I'll begin exploring it a bit more after my post-rock/metal/shoegaze faze is over.
I feel some of Alice Cooper's albums should be added... at least as "further listening" or something. I know he's not generally considered as "prog rock" & more as a shock rocker, but I feel that's based more on appearance than anything. He does a lot of concept albums, & Welcome To My Nightmare is one of the best albums of the era... and that album is pretty progressive. Just a thought.
uuh wat.

how is cooper prog?

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
uuh wat.

how is cooper prog?

This.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by romencer17
uuh wat.

how is cooper prog?

Ask yourself that same question but change it to Pink Floyd.

I kid, but I don't know much of Alice cooper but from what I remember he just makes conceptual music that sticks to basic formulas and takes cues from Horror Movies and stuff?
He's not for the most part. but Welcome To my Nightmare isn't just a standard rock album from the 70's. It has a whole theme & concept to the record & while it doesn't come off as an obvious choice, i feel many prog fan would find the album highly enjoyable if they sat & listened to it. i know I do. Seriously, if you've never listened to the whole album, or even if it's been a long time, I highly recommend it. I'd go as far to say that if you can consider the Doors as prog-rock related, you can sure as hell count WTMN; it's 10x more prog than anything the Doors ever did.

You don't have to add it to the list, won't hurt my feelings, but it's a loss for the listeners. To be clear, I wouldn't classify any other AC record as prog-related, but I feel this one can fit in without feeling too out of place.

EDIT: Let me modify my original statement & say that it should be added to Starting Out section of the 1st post.
Last edited by guitgrinder at Sep 21, 2011,
Well I listened to over half of Welcome To My Nightmare, so here is what I have to say about it.

I don't class it as Progressive Rock for a few reasons. First, there is no real progression in the music, nothing that really makes the message of the song travel through different voices and instead sticks to the same thing over and over, therefore it is repetitive. Second, each song tends to carry the same thing, catchy bluesy rock riff, a quiet/eerie verse, then a shouty and some what protesting chorus, all while ending with some spoken word bridge/outro or the chorus repeated. Most of the songs tend to take this on, thus as an album it doesn't give me a feeling of progression through the story either. Lastly, I feel as if it has the potential to be a Prog rock album, but it's urge to craft itself with cliches from other styles makes it very hard to appreciate what it's trying to display.

So yar. :3
alice cooper is definitely progressive, I mean just listen to this track. So ahead of its time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMudt64msU
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by Metal_Head1
Dude. Shut up.
He's redefining rock music.
Anyway: On topic, I grabbed Acid Mothers Temple's New Geocentric World.
Cool stuff, but very much mood music*
*DMT music

You're just jealous 'cause he's got a pretty face and razor blades like teeth.
Piper At The Gates of Dawn is clearly the best Floyd album.

I saw a guy wearing a cape today. Everyone made fun of him.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Will suggest additions/subtractions/modifications later in the morn

But certainly Foxtrot is A-list you nincompoop
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha

But certainly Foxtrot is A-list you nincompoop

Backed.

Also needs Jacula and Alphataurus.

and Faust.
Quote by Deplorable
Backed.

Also needs Jacula and Alphataurus.

and Faust.

Agreed on all counts.

^ I do not own a single sweater vest.
Philosophy > Life
I'm aware. Expect me in tweed every day as soon as I become a professor
Philosophy > Life
1st World Country Problem: Tweed jacket was in the wash today. Had to settle for a faux leather one.
Philosophy > Life
Had to buy a new shaper for my facial hair. Lost the other at the fitness club.
Philosophy > Life
My 1st world country problem: I downloaded an album and found out it was m4a's, so I found another download of two of the same bands albums. The download took 40 minutes and my computer overheated and shut itself off mid download.
ran out of my top shelf hash oil so I had to smoke just regular weed and hash.

bay area problems.

Sumdeus
I really want to be relevant to this generation, so I'll make an album with a washed-up legend who hasn't done anything worth mentioning since the 1970's, which wasn't even that great either. Did I mention that I completely lost any musical vision and integrity I ever had?

Hetfield problems.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
The sales of melodeath albums are constantly going down in Finland.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Need some more guitar-based prog. Recs?

Also, Matt, if you don't move Zappa's Apostrophe to A-level albums, I will wreak havoc on your bank account, and make sure you never work in Hollywood.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
I really want to be relevant to this generation, so I'll make an album with a washed-up legend who hasn't done anything worth mentioning since the 1970's, which wasn't even that great either. Did I mention that I completely lost any musical vision and integrity I ever had?

Hetfield problems.

Whoa now.

^ Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra

Camel - Mirage
Philosophy > Life
Last edited by MoogleRancha at Sep 22, 2011,