Page 4 of 23
I personally wouldn't class you as a human being, but to each their own.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by GezzyDiversion
I personally wouldn't class The Doors as prog. but each to their own.

honestly, that's 1/2 the reason I suggested Cooper's WTMN for First Listens.

In response to morph's post- if you listened to over 1/2 of WTMN but you didn't listen to the tracks Years Ago, Steven, & The Awakening, then you can't make a fair judgement. Honestly, if you count the first Doors album as a 1st listen, there is no reason not to have WTMN. Either put up WTMN or take down Doors

Still, I know Alica isn't prog, but whatever.
Last edited by guitgrinder at Sep 22, 2011,
see the thing is, the Doors were really creative and innovative for their time. They fused ideas and broke barriers, or, 'progressed' rock music to a whole to a new level of spirituality. Cooper is just a dude in make up with a shock gimmick
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by guitgrinder

In response to morph's post- if you listened to over 1/2 of WTMN but you didn't listen to the tracks Years Ago, Steven, & The Awakening, then you can't make a fair judgement. Honestly, if you count the first Doors album as a 1st listen, there is no reason not to have WTMN. Either put up WTMN or take down Doors

I did listen to Years Ago, Devils Food, Welcome To My Nightmare, The Black Widow, Some Folks, The Department Of Youth, Only Women Bleed, and Cold Ethyl. Steven and The Awakening I did not, though, but I shall right now as I type this.

Alright I listened to those two.

Steven has a lovely Piano in it, but the problem is, is that the piano is playing the same thing through out the song and it's a cliche measure that most people have heard of and is usually the first thing that comes to alot of peoples minds when they think of classical music. The Awakening seemed rather boring and also repetitive.

Honestly, this is like someone calling Voltaire Progressive. I mean yeah, he has some quirky bits here and there and some of his songs have out of tune and dissonant violins and such. Alice has some odd and eerie stuff in his music on this album and I can see how someone would consider it Progressive, but it doesn't really do anything but create shock value.

Everyone needs to listen to this. One of the best prog-folk albums I've ever heard, and Annie Haslam is a phenomenal vocalist.
Are Pentangle considered progressive folk?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Dear progface,

Do include Alphataurus - S/T and Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh in the A-list albums. Absolutely top-tier stuff

VDGG - Godbluff and Pawn Hearts at A; H to He, Least We Can Do, and Still Life at B

Thank you dahling
Philosophy > Life
Last edited by MoogleRancha at Sep 22, 2011,
Well, In the Court... is probably the pinnacle, but it's also a good entry point into prog so...

I like Red, Larks', In the Court..., In the Wake..., and Starless and Bible Black the most.

I guess Islands and Lizard too.
Philosophy > Life
I have neglected to give Larks a listen, all those other albums I know and lurve. <3

The Court is my favorite though, it and Red, then comes Starless.
So, does anyone else like Le Orme or does everybody like them?

Also, a few bands that I've been spinning,

Bein Vecchio Charlie
Luciano Cilio (Although not really prog)
Jacula

Any other recommends?
^ I absolutely adore Le Orme. Felona E Serona, Contrappunti, and Uomo di Pezza are classics.

I recommend the big RPI guys, i.e. Alphataurus, PFM, Banco, etc.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by Born Headless
So is Red the pinnacle of King Crimson? Best album(s)?

In The Court and Islands are easily the best.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by MoogleRancha
^ I absolutely adore Le Orme. Felona E Serona, Contrappunti, and Uomo di Pezza are classics.

I recommend the big RPI guys, i.e. Alphataurus, PFM, Banco, etc.

Magnifico! Grazie.
Quote by guitgrinder

i'm sorry but

Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I have a feeling this thread is going to leave me penniless.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I did listen to Years Ago, Devils Food, Welcome To My Nightmare, The Black Widow, Some Folks, The Department Of Youth, Only Women Bleed, and Cold Ethyl. Steven and The Awakening I did not, though, but I shall right now as I type this.

Alright I listened to those two.

Steven has a lovely Piano in it, but the problem is, is that the piano is playing the same thing through out the song and it's a cliche measure that most people have heard of and is usually the first thing that comes to alot of peoples minds when they think of classical music. The Awakening seemed rather boring and also repetitive.

Honestly, this is like someone calling Voltaire Progressive. I mean yeah, he has some quirky bits here and there and some of his songs have out of tune and dissonant violins and such. Alice has some odd and eerie stuff in his music on this album and I can see how someone would consider it Progressive, but it doesn't really do anything but create shock value.

While I still disagree, I wil admit defeat, only because you have soundly explained yourself. Congrats!
I was expecting to see Univers Zero - Heresie on the list, but it doesn't appear to be there. I guess progbass must hate freedom...
Quote by NotFromANUS
I was expecting to see Univers Zero - Heresie on the list, but it doesn't appear to be there. I guess progbass must hate freedom...

Now I know they are under Eclectic Prog, but I could of swore I put Uzed on there somewhere. No excuses for Heresie though.

In my defense, I did 90% off the top of my head
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
Now I know they are under Eclectic Prog

Yeah, I actually ended up seeing that after reading this post and then looking back.

Whatever. Do what you want...
Don't be upset baby. The list still needs touchups. I'll take care of it on Monday
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Don't be upset baby.

I'm not upset. I'm just on my period or something. I was glad to see Wish You Were Here where it was, though.
I want to say I put it under Best Of.

It really is a great record.

Bob, while you are present, what is your favorite Dead Can Dance album?
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Bob, while you are present, what is your favorite Dead Can Dance album?

In short, I don't know. I'd probably go with The Serpent's Egg.
Quote by progbass
These proles want me to replace it with Dying Sun.

Well if lots of people say so, then maybe you should do it. That's how democracy works. Large groups of people come together to take something good and make it bad.
The French one started it. Maybe starting revolutions and riots is in his blood...
HESSIAN HAREM
Do whatever you want mate, just add it in there somewhere.

Also, can someone tab this song out ? It would make an awesome prog rock song if re-recorded with 70s analog recording and Rush tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EH6r9sSmQ

just listen to that bass and they keyboards. and the guitar leads. mmmmm
High Tide should be added to the list
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by illuminatiano
Do whatever you want mate, just add it in there somewhere.

Also, can someone tab this song out ? It would make an awesome prog rock song if re-recorded with 70s analog recording and Rush tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EH6r9sSmQ

just listen to that bass and they keyboards. and the guitar leads. mmmmm

silly me, there is a tab. (only searched for final fantasy vii before trying final fantasy 7)

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc_computer_games/final_fantasy_7_-_boss_battle_ver2_guitar_pro.htm

learning right now, so much fun to play

edit: gah, to hell with those sweeps bar 67
Last edited by illuminatiano at Sep 22, 2011,
I really like most of his work, though I must admit the FF9 soundtrack is far beyond his other works, with FF6 being the closest.

The Burmecian / Freija's theme will crush your soul. The title theme is really good too, I think its called "We will return to this place someday".

its largely a neo-renaissance styled suite, but very enjoyable even for those who don't care for that stuff.

he actually has a pseudo prog band that plays his compositions in a rock aesthetic called the Black Mages. I've been half heartedly searching for a rip of the music but to no avail
HESSIAN HAREM
I used to like prog rock more than I do now (or rather be in the mood for more often), but there's still a few album's a come back to every now and again.
Specifically

Which whilst it might split opinions, I feel is absolutely fantastic. Especially Ouroboros

Plus the more classic Floyd/Crimson/Yes etc.

Though I was wondering if I could be pointed in the direction of some of the best Prog/Folk?
Those Greenslade covers are phenomenal.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Being obsessed with space, I'm quite partial to that Ramases album cover, even if the spaceship looks like the top of a gothic cathedral taking off.

Have to check that one out.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.