Being a journalist/reporter/photographer (within the journalism field)

Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. Thanks for checking this out

So, im 15, in grade 10 and have aspirations to be a journalist (im VERY interested in being a war correspondant/military journalist (theirs a difference)). Are their things that can get me started on this kinda shit? Like TAFE courses or anything that would mean when i go looking for work when i leave school (or after college/uni whatever) i already have a leg up in getting a job?

Thanks

lol i accidently posted this in the drug thread first
I'd fix your bloody grammar and spelling first, son.

On a related note, I've got an English degree myself and I would say it's one of the most competitive and saturated job markets. I'd get some experience at a local paper or something as early as possible to make you stand out as an applicant later on in your career.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by genghisgandhi
Journalism will be dead by the time you're 22.

mother****e my ipod dock keeps shufling songs i

OT: i think that there will always be a need for journalists to go to war. people want to know whats going on, and im sure theyd mutch rather here (or see!) it from a regular person instead of some janjaweed guy or gadafi or some shit who are gonna be lying through their teeth (allthough i wouldnt put it past all the ignorant people in this world to believe it).

I think journalism will very much be alive when im 22.
Quote by the_astronaut

On a related note, I've got an English degree myself and I would say it's one of the most competitive and saturated job markets. I'd get some experience at a local paper or something as early as possible to make you stand out as an applicant later on in your career.

Yeah i dont really care to use proper grammer on an online forum. aslong as you can understand me thatts good enough for me. not having a go, just saying
Quote by the_astronaut

oops didnt see the other part.

Yeah, thats what i was asking in the main post. for some things that can help me get a leg-up in the journalism industry for when i leave school. thanks man
Quote by Owenlee55
mother****e my ipod dock keeps shufling songs i

OT: i think that there will always be a need for journalists to go to war. people want to know whats going on, and im sure theyd mutch rather here (or see!) it from a regular person instead of some janjaweed guy or gadafi or some shit who are gonna be lying through their teeth (allthough i wouldnt put it past all the ignorant people in this world to believe it).

I think journalism will very much be alive when im 22.

I pity your editor.
My cousin became a journalist for the CBC.
Just going from memory of what she did:

joined her school paper
in university she hosted a radio show, and she took part in various committees in University.
she tried doing the crap jobs at her local paper writing little things here n there during university.

Then she got her job at the CBC, I think she's 22?
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
I pity your editor.

As I've already pointed out, I don't try and use proper grammar while I am addressing someone on an online forum.

DAM NIGGA
Quote by Wesseem
My cousin became a journalist for the CBC. (biggest news station in canada).
Just going from memory of what she did:

joined her school paper
in university she hosted a radio show, and she took part in various committees in University.
she tried doing the crap jobs at her local paper writing little things here n there during university.

Then she got her job at the CBC, I think she's 22?

Nice dude. Do you know what courses she took? Because Im ****ed If I need to go to uni to do something like journalism. I'm going to have to change my grade 11 subjects around.
I'm a journalism student in my third year of college. Although there are no guarantees you'll get a job after college there are a lot of resources your school can offer you. All of my profs have done journalism professionally for years before teaching and they know lots of people in the industry. They also can hook you up with internships, help you land interviews, provide references, etc. I'm in visual journalism and when I was in high school I did basically anything I could involving photography. Yearbook, school paper, shooting at games, shooting personal work, etc. I'd say do the same. If you're trying to go into newswriting then work on your writing. Study articles you like and try to follow that style. Pick up an AP style guide and look through it, it will give you an idea of common terminology that journalists use and help you get a base foundation before you start college. Write as much as you can, write for the school paper, submit articles to the local paper, just practice in any way you can.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by genghisgandhi
If you can't make it a habit, you're never gonna be very good at it.

Well, thanks I guess. I will most definately try to use proper grammar from this point onwards.
Quote by soul_power
I'm a journalism student in my third year of college. Although there are no guarantees you'll get a job after college there are a lot of resources your school can offer you. All of my profs have done journalism professionally for years before teaching and they know lots of people in the industry. They also can hook you up with internships, help you land interviews, provide references, etc. I'm in visual journalism and when I was in high school I did basically anything I could involving photography. Yearbook, school paper, shooting at games, shooting personal work, etc. I'd say do the same. If you're trying to go into newswriting then work on your writing. Study articles you like and try to follow that style. Pick up an AP style guide and look through it, it will give you an idea of common terminology that journalists use and help you get a base foundation before you start college. Write as much as you can, write for the school paper, submit articles to the local paper, just practice in any way you can.

Thanks man. So, you can get into journalism without needing uni? What is an 'AP' style book? What courses did you (or are you) taking In college?
Quote by Owenlee55
Thanks man. So, you can get into journalism without needing uni? What is an 'AP' style book? What courses did you (or are you) taking In college?

AP style guide is basically a book put out by the Associated Press that most publications use for their general formatting, spelling, etc. It's basically a series of agreed upon terms that journalists use in their writing. That being said, I'm not sure if the standard outside of the US so you may actually use something else. I'm not sure if there's a difference between University and College where you are but I'm going to a 4 year university and I've been taking mostly classes offered through the journalism department. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, it may seem daunting now but you have plenty of time to figure it out and when you do go to college you'll have an advisor that will help you out with what you need to take. As far as going into journalism without going to college, I guess it could be done but it seems like it would be pretty different. I for one wouldn't know how to go about it.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Owenlee55
Nice dude. Do you know what courses she took? Because Im ****ed If I need to go to uni to do something like journalism. I'm going to have to change my grade 11 subjects around.

I'm not sure what the deal is with australia, but she had to take journalism in university..
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by soul_power
AP style guide is basically a book put out by the Associated Press that most publications use for their general formatting, spelling, etc. It's basically a series of agreed upon terms that journalists use in their writing. That being said, I'm not sure if the standard outside of the US so you may actually use something else. I'm not sure if there's a difference between University and College where you are but I'm going to a 4 year university and I've been taking mostly classes offered through the journalism department. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, it may seem daunting now but you have plenty of time to figure it out and when you do go to college you'll have an advisor that will help you out with what you need to take. As far as going into journalism without going to college, I guess it could be done but it seems like it would be pretty different. I for one wouldn't know how to go about it.

Ok, thanks man. About college, i was planning on going. I think you just read it wrong.
Here, college (TAFE) do mainly practical teachings (cooking, mechanic, plumber, mabye journalism) and university is, well, university.
Quote by Wesseem
I'm not sure what the deal is with australia, but she had to take journalism in university..

Thanks man. Do you know what courses she took?
The press is dying and the informative written word is being killed by illiterate people on the internet who don't know how to give an unbiased account of events.

That is how the world is going. Every one thinks they can be a journalist but most of them suck balls.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Owenlee55
Hey guys. Thanks for checking this out

So, im 15, in grade 10 and have aspirations to be a journalist (im VERY interested in being a war correspondant/military journalist (theirs a difference)). Are their things that can get me started on this kinda shit? Like TAFE courses or anything that would mean when i go looking for work when i leave school (or after college/uni whatever) i already have a leg up in getting a job?

Thanks

lol i accidently posted this in the drug thread first

I don't know where in Aus you live but UTS has one of the countries best Journo courses.

UWS also has a fantastic communications course where you can major in Journalism.

One real rule if you want to succed is GET AS MUCH EXPERIENCE AS YOU CAN! Especially at your local paper.

Almost every local paper in Aus is owned by Faifax or Cumberland, the two big news print companies so there is plenty of room to move and their cadetships are great if you manage to get one.

If you want to get into TV journalism start hunting for jobs in the news libraries of the big stations. They have terrible hours but it's easy work, good pay and you make great connections.

Good luck, and try to stick to the truth.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
Quote by ChemicalFire
The press is dying and the informative written word is being killed by illiterate people on the internet who don't know how to give an unbiased account of events.

That is how the world is going. Every one thinks they can be a journalist but most of them suck balls.

I know what you mean about the press is dying, but I think that there will ALWAYS be a need for willing individual to go out into the war zones and tell the people back home what's going on.
There will always be journalists, though the medium in which they work will surely change.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

Quote by israels_son
I don't know where in Aus you live but UTS has one of the countries best Journo courses.

UWS also has a fantastic communications course where you can major in Journalism.

One real rule if you want to succed is GET AS MUCH EXPERIENCE AS YOU CAN! Especially at your local paper.

Almost every local paper in Aus is owned by Faifax or Cumberland, the two big news print companies so there is plenty of room to move and their cadetships are great if you manage to get one.

If you want to get into TV journalism start hunting for jobs in the news libraries of the big stations. They have terrible hours but it's easy work, good pay and you make great connections.

Good luck, and try to stick to the truth.

Thanks man. Thinking about it, i am going to have to change my subjects around if I want to get into uni. How would i go about getting a cadetship(and what is one? Like an aprenticeship?)?. Thanks again man.
A cadetship is like an apprenticeship but with better pay ha ha.

They are applied for like a regular job, usually at the end of the year. It's easier to get them at local papers especially if you've been a work experience person who's proven they have a talent.

Quote by israels_son
A cadetship is like an apprenticeship but with better pay ha ha.

They are applied for like a regular job, usually at the end of the year. It's easier to get them at local papers especially if you've been a work experience person who's proven they have a talent.

Ahk cool. Thanks man.
No worries, I'm working my way up through magazines.

I went to UWS feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Quote by israels_son
No worries, I'm working my way up through magazines.

I went to UWS feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks man. I will do if I got anything.
Quote by Owenlee55
Yeah i dont really care to use proper grammer on an online forum. aslong as you can understand me thatts good enough for me. not having a go, just saying

You should. So many writers don't understand that writing on an online forum, or texting even, is practice. You should always go for proper grammar.

The habits you pick up while speaking and writing in every day activities (such as an online forum) contribute to your overall abilities as a writer. Writing is a skill of repetition.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
You should. So many writers don't understand that writing on an online forum, or texting even, is practice. You should always go for proper grammar.

The habits you pick up while speaking and writing in every day activities (such as an online forum) contribute to your overall abilities as a writer. Writing is a skill of repetition.

Never really thought of it like that. Thanks man.
Quote by Owenlee55
Never really thought of it like that. Thanks man.

No problem. I'm going for an English major and want to eventually become a high school English teacher. It was a tip my current professor gave me. I thought it was fairly wise (even though the hectoring from this site got me to try and write correctly here anyway).
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Get your degree in Commercial photography at a Tech school, Uni, whatever. Than try to get on at a local newspaper and get some experience in the field before you go off into battle. Than build your portfolio in said field to show that you know how to shoot photojournalism style images. Than just start applying for jobs to be a photojournalist.

This is just a guess at what you would do. I do have some photojournalism experience from college, but not much, and I never plan on becoming a photojournalist. But I would guess this is something close to what you would do.

Also another thing you could do is go to your local college and ask the photography advisor about getting into that field.
War correspondent, huh? (warning--wall of text follows, but I did include pictures )

Well, at some point you're going to decide which camp you want to belong to.

You can learn about this photographer/reporter in the book "We Were Soldiers Once and Young"

or

Mr. Browne went on to win a Pulitzer, but you probably get a more transparent view of this camp from his colleague who was there too, Mr. Arnette. If you're clever, you can read his book for free here: http://books.google.com/books?id=CagFseu-p1wC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false You may also want to Google "Operation Tailwind" +CNN to put Mr. Arnette's self image in contrast with views of others.

You'll find plenty of rationalization for Mr. Browne, Mr. Halberstam, and Mr. Arnette's decision to let the monk immolate himself, even though Mr. Arnette acknowledged it would have been easy to stop him. The photographer said he didn't even think of trying to stop him. If you do go to journalism school, be prepared for professors to punish students who fail defend the inaction. After all, Mr. Browne won a Pulitzer.

I'd offer similar counterpoint with Mr. Gallagher, but I'm not specifically aware of any--it might be easy to find, but I didn't look too hard. I would, however, assume many of those same professors feel that Mr. Gallagher should not have rescued wounded soldiers and certainly should not have defended himself when under fire. Mr. Gallagher did lose his noncombatant status, so the enemy would not have been committing war crimes if they targeted him specifically.

Your call. Some say the second picture won the war for the Viet Cong. Others say it extended the war 8-10 years. I'm not going to debate any of this here. Part of your preparation will be deciding where you stand, and you should probably re-assess that periodically as you gain experience.

By the way, thanks for the sacrifices your countrymen have been making fighting against extremism in the current wars. They've made incredible contributions and we don't hear enough about them.
Quote by Platinum Pro
Get your degree...I never plan on becoming a photojournalist...

Nice gear list.

I don't know about Down Under, but I know one well-established freelance photojournalist in the US who would have to work at least 2 years to pay for that equipment. Lucky for him he's semi-retired.
Quote by Owenlee55
im VERY interested in being a war correspondant/military journalist

So you want to go put your life on the line, but not get any kind of recognition for it?

Quote by Owenlee55

The fact that you spelled things wrong and used improper versions of words says you probably don't do it outside of an online forum either.

Also, I know there is a journalism job in the Army here in the US, maybe see if the military has a journalism spot for you?
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Last edited by Prototype4342 at Sep 21, 2011,
Telling the truth, as a journalist? Get real. Your only job as a journalist is to sneak "all hail Murdoch" into every story you can without actually informing anybody of anything (except that Murdoch is a great guy).
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Do yourself a favour and forget it. There aren't no jobs in journalism in America.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Telling the truth, as a journalist? Get real. Your only job as a journalist is to sneak "all hail Murdoch" into every story you can without actually informing anybody of anything (except that Murdoch is a great guy).

???
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
I'm a first year journalism student... it's pretty much impossible to get into the industry without a degree. I'd recommend a bachelor of Communication (the course i'm doing), UTS, UWS and CSU all offer great options.

Work experience is crucial in getting a job in the industry, even with a degree you aren't guaranteed a job unless you have experience. Be prepared to do unpaid work before being offered a paid position.

As for your HSC subjects... speak to your school's career councillor about it because to be honest, as long as you get the required ATAR, the subjects you take do not matter. B Comm has no prerequisites.

PM me if you want to know more man.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
we'll be getting all of our news straight from the soldiers soon...

Quote by pvtrichardjohnsonprivatestwitter
just blew the #colonel , he asked for it and now I'm telling lol, twas finger licking good
yo.

I BELIEVE
Page 1 of 2