Hello, i recently picked up a very beat up, but wonderfully modified sg, and while its quite heavy, i was thinking of cutting the top horn off, but was not sure if this would affect the support of the bolt on neck or not, thanks.
its not going to kill a lot of weight, and its going to look weird, and you will have to refinish the new edge u just created. SG's arent that heavey anyway
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Here are my thoughts:
NO DON'T DO THAT
No SG is really that heavy
You'll have to refinish it
If it has a bolt on neck it's probably ply wood. You'll have to really work to seal and fill it when you refinish it.
It will probably look pretty bad

Aside from that, it's your guitar. Do as you wish.
dont do it just get a nice wide leather strap.

it will cost less then it will cost you to get a good finish once you have chopped the horn off and not look as stupid
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Quote by inkandlead
If it has a bolt on neck it's probably ply wood.

People are always guessing that... It sounds like it's an Epi SG Special, and that's not plywood. Very very very few guitars actually are.
These days, yes. But several years ago a lot of the lower end squier, epiphone, etc were still made of plywood.
Last edited by inkandlead at Sep 21, 2011,
I haven't seen a lot of plywood in guitars other than some Kramers and some garbage chinese strat clones.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Also it can kill your tone and some sustain EVH did it to a Ibanez explorer and killed it, it just never sounded the same. It also seems kinda pointless (excuse the pun) to do it. It won't change that much probably and it will be a whole lotta hassle.
Quote by CJ Noble
I haven't seen a lot of plywood in guitars other than some Kramers and some garbage chinese strat clones.

Yeah it's pretty much just the smaller brands that make really cheap guitars. Also the era of Kramer that used plywood, was the era when they were going bankrupt. The modern woods from Gibson/Epiphone are quite nice.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Yeah it's pretty much just the smaller brands that make really cheap guitars. Also the era of Kramer that used plywood, was the era when they were going bankrupt. The modern woods from Gibson/Epiphone are quite nice.

Yeah Gibson really did a good job picking up the brand, though I must say even the plywood Kramers were really cool guitars.
If you think and SG is heavy you may as well play a traveler guitar.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA
^^This guitar player did it?

I see a telecaster and a hacked up mustang, no SG. an SG has terrible balance as it is, cutting off that horn would mess it up way too bad
Last edited by CJ Noble at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by CJ Noble
I see a telecaster and a hacked up mustang, no SG. an SG has terrible balance as it is, cutting off that horn would mess it up way too bad

You seem to be right haha. At first glance it seemed like one.

But its probably a good representation of how it'd look.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220