Hey guys, I been playing for 4 and a half years. One my of friends asked me to teach him how to play guitar. I'm going to his house tomorrow. The problem is that, I don't know what to teach him. I was thinking about teaching him first, how to tune a guitar, the names of the strings, and a few basic chords like C, D and G.

Does anybody have any other ideas what I should teach him or is what I had planned good enough?
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

You should spend quite a bit of time making sure he has the position with the picking hand, and that he knows how to press the frets down so they don't buzz or sound out of tune. After he gets the basics, some chords could be good.
yeah, you should teach scales and a few open chords and a simple song with those chords so they have something interesting to practice the chords. I always start with knockin on heaven's door - the bob dylan version. G D Am and C
Don't listen to anyone with "teach scales". Don't teach scales. Scales are boring and you don't need them till later on.
Teach:
String names, how to hold a pick, how to play a string, open chords, powerchords, play a song, play a harder song, start a song with a solo.

Inbetween this give him a list of simple excersises with note names on the fretboard (starting with the first 5 strings, then from 1-8th fret, then 1-12th fret, then common guitar licks to practice.

Then that makes teaching theory real easy because it'll all fit together nicely with things he's been playing. But there's no need to teach scales so early on. People just want to play a song amirite?

If you're just going for a quick lesson and not in depth teaching, ignore the 2nd + 3rd paragragh, just teach them "wild thing". 4 open-chord song.
Introduce chords slowly though.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
Don't listen to anyone with "teach scales". Don't teach scales. Scales are boring and you don't need them till later on.
Teach:
String names, how to hold a pick, how to play a string, open chords, powerchords, play a song, play a harder song, start a song with a solo.

Inbetween this give him a list of simple excersises with note names on the fretboard (starting with the first 5 strings, then from 1-8th fret, then 1-12th fret, then common guitar licks to practice.

Then that makes teaching theory real easy because it'll all fit together nicely with things he's been playing. But there's no need to teach scales so early on. People just want to play a song amirite?

If you're just going for a quick lesson and not in depth teaching, ignore the 2nd + 3rd paragragh, just teach them "wild thing". 4 open-chord song.
Introduce chords slowly though.

Thanks. It's most likely going to be a regular thing.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

yep. note names, string names, how to hold the pick, hand positioning and the BASIC open chords is a good place to start. a beginner will have plenty to work on with these ideas
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads