I'm looking into getting a Gibson SG Special and I was wondering, what is the difference between the special and say the Std, '61 reissuse, etc?
I know there's the cosmetic things like dot inlays, no neck binding, uncovered pups, and a gold sticker logo instead of an MOP logo.
But what about sound? I understand the Special has 490R/T pups, but how are these different from other SG pups?
I'm looking for your personal opinion on the sound and playability versus other SG's.
Thanks UG!
Last edited by thehardwayout at Sep 20, 2011,
i have a sg special faded, and it is an awesome guitar. ive played other sgs on occasion at guitar stores, but not enough to make a comparison to mine, but i can tell ya the faded sg can definately hold its own to the more expensive models. it has the same 490r/t as the special and they sound great with any style of music, sound good clean and with heavy distortion. playability is my favorite out of my other guitars, jackson rr3 and fender strat, more comfortable, love the shape of the neck, overall its awesome. so, being the cheaper model of your special, thought my input would help.
There's not a great deal of difference in the standard and the special, the pickups are different but the rest is mainly the finish, inlays and binding etc.
The 61 re-issue is a totally different guitar build wise, it has a 60's profile neck which is very different to newer SG's, the newer SG's have part of the body strengthening the neck joint which IMO spoils the feel at the upper fret access. The body is also slightly different, especially the thickness of the horns.
All of these guitars are nice but personaly I prefer the feel of the old 60's neck.
Ah, somebody else has noticed it costs an extra £200 odd if you want paint with your gibson.
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by TomMon
Ah, somebody else has noticed it costs an extra £200 odd if you want paint with your gibson.

I'd much rather save that 200 and just stick with the faded (stained) versions. Obviously they would be more susceptible to damage, but still....saving 1/3 the price.

But I would like paint with my Gibson please, and a Mountain Dew while you're at it, no ice.

Delboyuk kinda summed it up. Personally, i quite like the feel of the unfinished gibsons. Don't know how the wood will be 10 years down the line though.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Specials have less bling (no binding, simpler inlays, no high gloss but still nitro finish), slightly different pickups and are made of multiple pieces of wood. Also they have supposedly lower QC standards.

I personally really love the feel of the Faded finishes.
The '61 RI has a different neck-joint than the Standard/Special. It has better upper fret access, but the joint is weaker and the pitch is known to wobble if you apply anything other than a light grip on the neck.

I would suggest that you try the exact guitar you're intending to buy.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
The '61 RI has a different neck-joint than the Standard/Special. It has better upper fret access, but the joint is weaker and the pitch is known to wobble if you apply large amounts of pressure to the back of the neck, pushing it forward, whilst pushing the body back.

I would suggest that you try the exact guitar you're intending to buy.

Fixed!
Mainly it is a diff in cosmetics and electronics. I like the satin finishes in the sg better than the gloss, but the pickups in the SG specials (490T/R) are crappy as can be. Well I think they are, but you may like them. They sound very "thin" to me .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks everyone for the input! I want you all to know I got my SG Special and I love it. The sound is exceptional. The only thing I am able to compare it to are my Epi LP Traditional and my FSR MIM Tele. I can say the SG blows em both outta the water. My favorite parts are the neck and the weight. I love the top heavy feel of SG's and how the necks feel like they're a mile long. I see the diff between the '61 and other SG's in the neck joint. There is a little bit more upper fret access on the '61 but SG's in general have the best upper range fret access.
I'm happy to be a part of the SG family! Cheers!