I'm planning on buying several pedals - the Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, the Boss DS-1, and an Ibanez TS9dx. My question is simple - it looks to me like the TS9dx is pretty much an upgraded TS9, with options for higher distortion. Does its TS9 mode sound exactly like the TS9, or is it different? Also, how playable are the other, higher gain modes? I play bits of everything, except for really heavy metal/screamo. I mostly play classic rock, blues-rock, and garage rock/grunge stuff. So basically, is the Ibanez TS9dx essentially the TS9 only with more stuff? And are those extra features any good?
I wouldn't get the TS9 just for the OD side of it, the OD isen't the best, but it makes a great pedal to tighten up loose, high gain tones.

I would look more at a Full Tone OCD if you are going the dirt pedal route for low, med gain stuff.

Technically yes, it should, but I doubt it.
The regular TS9 is about $10 less than the TS9DX.
The extra $10 isn't a whole lot really.
I have the TS9DX and its set on the TS9 setting.
For more dirt I used a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET.

You might find the extra features on the TS9DX useful. I didn't really though.
I would forget about the Tone Wicker, go try several muffs out and you will see the Tone Wicker doesn't stack up. As far as Screamers the Fulltone OCD is a great pedal. I just bought a Keely Fuzz Head which has Over Drive thrown in and it is a great all around pedal. Go try some pedals out and find the tone your looking for. Remember the videos you are watching is more than likely with different amps and guitars than what you have and the tone will be different. Take your guitar to a store and have them hook up the amp you own and then try several pedals. If they think you will be buying they will let you try out several of them and stay most of the day. They could even assist you will dialing in some settings. Going back tot he Tone Wicker, I was intialy interested in them also but when I tried one with a Blackstar amp like mine I was very disappointed. I ended up getting a Swollen Pickle Fuzz which can get a variety of tones. But thisd was with a Blackstar amp so not sure how it would sound with yours. Good luck and search around
Not sure if your limited on prices but check out this one and watch some videos (but also try one out)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/keeley-fuzz-head-guitar-effects-pedal/150357000000000

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
what amp are you using and why do you feel you need 3 different distortion pedals? skip the Ibanez and get a Digitech CM-2 Tube Overdrive. does the tube screamer thing and has a mod switch that ups the gain. has a better eq setup as well.
Thanks for replying, guys. I'll check out everything you've mentioned, and see what works. I want the Muff for garage rock grunge stuff, the Tube Screamer as a boost to my blues/classic rock stuff, and the DS-1 exclusively to cover Nirvana, since they're my favorite band, and Kurt Cobain used that pedal.

I'm currently on a beyond terrible practice amp that isn't even all that great for practicing, but I'm soon upgrading to a Peavey Valveking 112. I play a Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe Limited Edition.

Also, to JohnnyNash, I'd thought that the BM w/ Tone Wicker was basically the same thing as a regular Big Muff, only more compact, and with greater variety. I don't have any problem with the other Big Muffs though, so I'll try them all out and see how they work.
Quote by monwobobbo
what amp are you using and why do you feel you need 3 different distortion pedals? skip the Ibanez and get a Digitech CM-2 Tube Overdrive. does the tube screamer thing and has a mod switch that ups the gain. has a better eq setup as well.

Hmmm...I have (listed in signal order) :

Way Huge Swollen Pickle
TS - 808
TS9DX
Hardwire TL-2
ZVex Box Of Rock
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET

That's 6 dirt boxes.
But all that works for me.
Although I don't use the TL-2 very often. May get rid of that.
And I will likely get rid of the Swollen Pickle soon. Its getting replaced by a better fuzz pedal.

I also have a Vox AC30 that I run clean.
I get all my dirt from pedals.
Quote by CodeMonk
Hmmm...I have (listed in signal order) :

Way Huge Swollen Pickle
TS - 808
TS9DX
Hardwire TL-2
ZVex Box Of Rock
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET

That's 6 dirt boxes.
But all that works for me.
Although I don't use the TL-2 very often. May get rid of that.
And I will likely get rid of the Swollen Pickle soon. Its getting replaced by a better fuzz pedal.

I also have a Vox AC30 that I run clean.
I get all my dirt from pedals.

interesting setup. i wasn't trying to say there was no reason to have more than one dirt pedal just wanted to be sure that the OP was clear on what he was trying to do (in his case yes but you know how it goes here sometimes)
Quote by monwobobbo
interesting setup. i wasn't trying to say there was no reason to have more than one dirt pedal just wanted to be sure that the OP was clear on what he was trying to do (in his case yes but you know how it goes here sometimes)

It works for me.
Actually had a DOD Flashback Fuzz in there. It was heaven when pushing it into the TS-808. Nailed the tone for the solo in American Woman.
The Flashback is broken ATM. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

And yeah, no reason to start out buying more than 1 dirt pedal. I didn't get any of mine at the same time. Save the Hardwire and the TS9DX I got at the same time.

"Shop smart. Shop S-MART".

One pedal at a time.
If somewhere down the road you think you might need something different for dirt, doesn't mean you have to get rid of another dirt pedal that is working for some of your stuff, but maybe not for others.

I've got 2 delays as well (Boss DD-7, TC Electronics Nova Delay).

Never limit yourself to only one of each type if you need more than one of each type.
But start off slowly until you can decide what it is YOU NEED.
aa stated OCD, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, GT500 (that is like a 2 in 1 as it has a distortion on one side and od on the other), catalinbred DLS. like 100 others are out there, just search.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a friend with a TS9DX and he swears by it. He had me make a switching pedal for him that hooks up to his TS9DX so he can switch modes with his feet. I've seen him play live a few times and he really does work that pedal. It's really quite impressive to see someone that has mastered the use of a pedal. If I hadn't ever seen him, I would have never wanted one.
I have a Boss OS-2, Ibanez TS-7, Ibanez TS-9DX, and had an Ibanez TS-9. I got rid of the TS-9 when I got the DX, it seemed a little pointless as the DX did all that the 9 did and then some. My DX is the only OD I really use now. I keep the others for that occasional need for a slightly different sound.
The Ibanez jet driver is one of the more versatile OD / dirt boxes I've used. I quickly kicked my Rothwell Heartbreaker to the curb
Look into the Green Rhino OD by Way Huge. Its basically a TS-9 with a bass boost/cut (because most people feel the TS-9 cuts some bass) and a curve knob to roll off the high end. Also has true bypass. Did i mention its the same price as the TS-9???

It's what I have anyway so I'm pretty biased towards it. I A/Bed it to the TS9 and it sounds practically the same with some added features.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Look into the Green Rhino OD by Way Huge. Its basically a TS-9 with a bass boost/cut (because most people feel the TS-9 cuts some bass) and a curve knob to roll off the high end. Also has true bypass. Did i mention its the same price as the TS-9???

It's what I have anyway so I'm pretty biased towards it. I A/Bed it to the TS9 and it sounds practically the same with some added features.

+1 i really liked the flexibility of the Green Rhino. however i feel there are other OD's out there, but very few as flexible as the Green Rhino in its price range. so if fleibility is you thing, go with the green rhino.

i have an OCD, MI Audio Blues Pro, and a BBE Green Screamer.

IMO the Blues Pro is one of the most under rated pedals out there. it even has a fuzz switch in it that gets you a little fuzzy as opposed to ODish (fuzz isn't the greatest, but fun to mess around with). the one i use most is the blues pro. i picked mine up off of here for $50 orsomething.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by CodeMonk
It works for me.
Actually had a DOD Flashback Fuzz in there. It was heaven when pushing it into the TS-808. Nailed the tone for the solo in American Woman.
The Flashback is broken ATM. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

And yeah, no reason to start out buying more than 1 dirt pedal. I didn't get any of mine at the same time. Save the Hardwire and the TS9DX I got at the same time.

"Shop smart. Shop S-MART".

One pedal at a time.
If somewhere down the road you think you might need something different for dirt, doesn't mean you have to get rid of another dirt pedal that is working for some of your stuff, but maybe not for others.

I've got 2 delays as well (Boss DD-7, TC Electronics Nova Delay).

Never limit yourself to only one of each type if you need more than one of each type.
But start off slowly until you can decide what it is YOU NEED.

love the AOD quote . i have several overdrives and distortion pedals as well as a fuzz myself. i don't have them all on my board though. totally agree with not limiting yourself. of course you have to start somewhere so i normally wouldn't suggest getting multiple pedals. personally i like to keep my setup as simple as possible. having said that i do have a seperate setup for hendrix stuff and swap out overdrives if i want to do SRV. i can use my main setup to do it all and would in a band that covers a lot of ground but of course there would be some toanl compromises.