My friend cheaped out and got an AC15vr over the real thing and played a weekend long venue with me and some friends. It handled it alright and he played with a very slightly breaking up tone with a pedal board to add overdrive and effects. It was a whole heck of a lot louder than I was expecting, which made me wonder how much louder an all tube AC15 will sound in comparison. I think they both sound good, but I'm definitely partial to the tone, dynamics, and harmonics of an actual AC15.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Lolz, 1 12AX7 for a power tube? Is that even possible? I thought those are just preamp tubes...odd. doesn't seem like a real hybrid amp, just one of those gimmick ones, but if it sounds good, hey.

When you add tubes into a power amp, they just naturally sound louder, since they can push more wattage than the rating calls for.
Get an actual AC15 over the vr.
You will be glad you did.

Heck, add a few hundred (or about $1000) more to your budget and get an AC30.
Well, maybe not $1000.
Lets see....
My stuff:
AC30 Head : $900
1 - Celestion G12K-85 (got mine off craigslist, 3 for $40 total) Around : $100.
1 - Celestion Gold : $300 (give or take).

The 2x12 cab I built ( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399362&highlight=CodeMonk+Cabinet+build )
All parts were under $200. Not including the router I bought.

Sonic Heaven IMO.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 20, 2011,
I'm not getting a VR. I was just wondering how much louder it would sound. I'm aware that watts are watts, but I've heard some 30 watt amps sound louder than say...a 50 watt amp.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I'm not getting a VR. I was just wondering how much louder it would sound. I'm aware that watts are watts, but I've heard some 30 watt amps sound louder than say...a 50 watt amp.

Entirely depends on the amp, and the speakers. It's very complicated, but good rule of thumb, tube watts have more volume behind them than SS watts, not because they are more powerful though.
Usually a all tube amp will pump out about 2-3 times more volume than a solidstate/hybrid amp of the same wattage.
There are more factors than just the wattage though ,like speakers and output transformers...
The reason being is that I'm juggling getting a some Fender Hot Rod series, because they are loud and clean enough for using a lot of pedals. I prefer the tone of Vox though, but an AC30 (which has the appropriate volume and useful features like an fx loop) is out of budget (all items searched for on used market). I played a Vox AC15 which had a good tone, but the cleans start to break up between 9 and 10 oclock. I don't know how high I can push the master volume without getting power tube distortion.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by CodeMonk
Get an actual AC15 over the vr.
You will be glad you did.

Heck, add a few hundred (or about $1000) more to your budget and get an AC30.
Well, maybe not $1000.
Lets see....
My stuff:
AC30 Head : $900
1 - Celestion G12K-85 (got mine off craigslist, 3 for $40 total) Around : $100.
1 - Celestion Gold : $300 (give or take).

The 2x12 cab I built ( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399362&highlight=CodeMonk+Cabinet+build )
All parts were under $200. Not including the router I bought.

Sonic Heaven IMO.

That looks pretty awesome. Clips?
I am a fake mountain.