Hi everyone... I'm looking for some advice/opinions on guitars and insane, extreme heat.

My entire house has to be heated to 135-140 degrees next week to be rid of some insects upstairs.

The exterminators would like to put my guitars/amps in a small room and open the door for one minute at that temperature to kill any insects.

This, however, scares the pants off of me, and seems unnecessary as the guitars aren't even on the same floor of the house as the bugs.... except for a 40 year old acoustic (which has a gigantic crack in it from a summer afternoon in my trunk).

Alternatively, I could seal all of my gear and store it for 18 months until all insects have passed on. Rubbing alcohol is a contact killer, so I'd planned to clean all the guitars and get them out of the house for the day...

Has anyone else had experience with extreme rapid temperature changes?
Take them into your backyard and lay them on a towel? Take them to a friend's house? Take them to a relative's house?
wow! i would contact a few of the companies and ask them for their advice. I am sure they will not give an iron clad gaurantee in case they are wrong but i would ask none the less. that is a really bad situation! damn man. let us know how it turns out.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
They take up to 18 months to die, so to be 100% sure I'd have to seal all my gear up in plastic and store it in offsite storage for 18+ months before using it... which is seriously not an option either... even the exterminators said that it's unlikely they'd hide out in gear... but the thought of exposing my guitar children to 140 degree heat makes me feel almost as sick as the thought of bugs :-/ From what I've been reading, the glue used for guitars becomes liquified at 140...

JMKAM - I suppose could always take them to an enemy's house... :-o
Fumigation will kill bedbugs. Find an exterminator who can seal them up in a bag and fumigate them. But do not expose them to 140°+ heat. The rapid change in temperature and humidity might warp the necks.
Definitely get them out of there. Even if it means leaning them up against the walls outside.
Take the guitars out. Leave the cases there and open.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I'd say put them in their cases and put them in your car (or one of your parents cars).
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
are them insects in your gear? else i wont understand why you'd store them for 18 months?

they heat your house to the 140 degrees 1 day right?

i'd definitly put my guitars in the garage or some other kind of storage. dont keep em in the house thats for sure.
bedbugs can be a bitch ha?

try to find a solutions, fumigating your gear instead? (like jpnyc said)

they can always hide in your guitars sure, but try to find another way to kill them besides the heat extermination.
They won't be hiding in or on your guitars, but they sure could be hiding in the soft lining of the cases, which is why I say leave the cases there. Otherwise, you could start the cycle all over again. Wipe down your guitars if you must and take them out, but leave the cases to get treated.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
like said.

leave all fabrics behind.

take out the guitars and look into a freezing (?) or other option for them.

they'll get messed up if you leave them in there.

edit:

ok well i was curios about this after reading the thread.
guessing that there must be a safe way to kill/check for bed bugs
when dealing with guitars. (especially acoustics)

anyway, it seems that if you have the time you can.

seal the guitars.

obviously not leave them in the heat treatment.

then one at a time, you'll need to clean out the guitars.

one pesticide site suggested putting vikane or
"Hot Shot no pest strips use DDVP as an active ingredient and may be a better thing than mothballs." in the plastic bags when storing the instruments.

which sounds like what they do when bed bugs are suspected in cars.

they fume them out.

i'm not a pro, just passing that new found info onto you.

i would start by using Murphys oil soap, (which seems like it kills bed bugs)
and where safe, rubbing alcohol, in the body of the guitar.

electrics would need to be taken apart as well.

that sort of thing. i'm sure one at a time, it's doable.

the extreme heat would be a mistake tho.

good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by firecrasher
They take up to 18 months to die, so to be 100% sure I'd have to seal all my gear up in plastic and store it in offsite storage for 18+ months before using it... which is seriously not an option either... even the exterminators said that it's unlikely they'd hide out in gear... but the thought of exposing my guitar children to 140 degree heat makes me feel almost as sick as the thought of bugs :-/ From what I've been reading, the glue used for guitars becomes liquified at 140...

JMKAM - I suppose could always take them to an enemy's house... :-o

Find a new exterminator, if it takes 18 months, they must be using air to kill the bugs or something. Heck, just using bug bombs yourself will only take a few days to kill everything...your exterminator sucks dude.
Please don't listen to the guy that said freeze them.

Also the house will only be heated for 1 day right? Just take them out. If the house will be at 140 degrees for 18 months I'd be more worried about you than the guitars. Not playing for 1 day isn't a big.deal

If its the chemicals you're worried about, leave the guitars elsewhere for a.few days. If you and the furniture can live with the chemicals then why can't the guitars.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Please don't listen to the guy that said freeze them.

Also the house will only be heated for 1 day right? Just take them out. If the house will be at 140 degrees for 18 months I'd be more worried about you than the guitars. Not playing for 1 day isn't a big.deal

If its the chemicals you're worried about, leave the guitars elsewhere for a.few days. If you and the furniture can live with the chemicals then why can't the guitars.

that's not what he's worried about.

he doesnt want to clean the house of bugs, then
re-infest the house by bringing bugs back into the house via the instruments.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
that's not what he's worried about.

he doesnt want to clean the house of bugs, then
re-infest the house by bringing bugs back into the house via the instruments.

Oh, ok then. Sorry for misunderstanding TS. Thanks for telling me kind sir ^^^

This has been mentioned before but just clean the instruments and take them, leave the case. If you're really worried try to check if there are any bugs inside by taking off the pickguard/opening the back etc. Like the exterminator said, I doubt they would be inside, especially if they were in a case.

For an acoustic, that may be an issue? Try shaking it like crazy and see if you find someone

Yeah, my post probably didn't help much So sorry for spamming............I guess?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The dude calling Jenny sir is killing me. But to TS: Do not heat them. Try looking into some of the alternatives already mentioned.
I think the best advice you've received so far is to call 1-800-GIBSON or 1-800-FENDER or whatever the manufacturer's phone number is and ask them.

But don't call 1-800-GIBSON or 1-800-FENDER because those ain't the right numbers. Obviously.
Quote by a_hub10
The dude calling Jenny sir is killing me. But to TS: Do not heat them. Try looking into some of the alternatives already mentioned.

Hahaha!!

yeah I'm just shaking my head here

^ and do you really think fender has bed bug techs?
!!!

omg. this is turning into a pretty funny thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
omg. this is turning into a pretty funny thread.

When people come in late, don't read the thread in its entirety, and are somewhat lacking in common sense, every thread has the potential. There has been plenty of common sense in this thread. Why others continue to disregard it is beyond me (or you too, apparently )
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Build a box out of 2x4s and osb. Insulate box with roxul. Use poly to make a vapor barrier on the inside over the roxul. Insert guitars into dust free heat sheilded box.
If you do this do not use regular insulation, roxul only.

Its what I do. It will work perfectly even through your house burning down.
Quote by jj1565
Hahaha!!

yeah I'm just shaking my head here

I'm deeply sorry ma'am. Did I get it right this time?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I'm deeply sorry ma'am. Did I get it right this time?

ha! yes, very good thanks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62