I'm getting my mesa head in a couple of weeks so I'll try to get a couple of EL34s for spare too. Are JJ's the best good choice? Just checking. Also I don't know if instead is it a good idea to get 4 6L6s and try how the amp sounds with these (JJ's again?). I've also read good things about TESLA...
Which Mesa?

JJs aren't a bad choice, but it really depends on the sound you want. I use Tung Sol 12AX7s and Ruby 6L6s in my Boogie. If I were to retube, I'd probably go Winged C tubes in the power amp section and keep the Tung Sols. Electro Harmonix are another good option.
Hi, I'm Peter
This is for your Royal Atlantic you are getting (or similar)?

JJ and Tesla are the same thing basically.

JJs are darker sounding
Tung Sols are brighter sounding

=C= in the power section is a good choice if you can afford them. They are darker sounding as well. I like mine.

Get at least one NOS JAN Phillips 5751 and the JJs for the rest of the preamp. That is my opinion.

PS: I'm an EL34 fan so my opinions are based on that.
Yep, for the Royal Atlantic (finally coming), I would love to buy some winged C's but I still have to buy a cab, I guess I'll try with JJ's then. Thank you. I'll stick to a pair of EL34's, more familiar with that sound (eventually will try the 6L6's so I can try how it sounds with these too).
^ don't know buddy.

All I know is that the owners/naming of tubes and tube brand names is perplexing. I've given up trying to keep track of all of it. Maybe Cathbard has a better answer.

http://www.tubedepot.com/jjtesla.html?gclid=CMWyxqq3rasCFQPt7QodPSePIA
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=JJ+Tesla+KT88+Tubes+Matched+Quad+McIntosh+Dynaco+Etc
http://thetubestore.com/tesla.html

(from thetubestore.com)
JJ Electronic

These tubes are hand made in the newly reorganized Tesla factory, recently relocated in the Slovak Republic. This legendary tube factory has built many OEM tubes under brand names such as Telefunken, Siemens, Amperex, Mullard, and Brimar.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 20, 2011,
these are the best new production el34s.

http://thetubestore.com/el341.html

however keep in mind that since it's a mesa you need to tell whoever your buying tubes from that the tubes are for a mesa or use mesa tubes.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
311, I'm thinking on getting a Splawn Nitro instead the RA. I need info on Nitro's cleans and clipped sound! Have to decide quick though.
It's true, tubes actually labelled Tesla are better than a JJ but only marginally. I had a quad of Tesla EL34's in my JCM900 for ten years. I replaced them because they were sounding flat but they still worked good enough to keep as spares.
The SED winged C valves are the old Svetlanas. Tubes labelled Svetlana currently in production are in fact made by New Sensor (the Sovtek guys). Back in the day Svetlana were an "also ran" tube but by today's standards they are the best tube made. The price reflects this however. You'll pay twice as much for a SED as a JJ.
If you can find actual Tesla tubes for the same price as JJ or somewhere between JJ and SED, snap them up. If not, SED are best but I don't think they are twice as good. Depends on how much money you have to waste.
So to sum up. Buy the Teslas if you can afford them, if not just buy a set of JJ's and call it a day. If you are real broke, Shuguang EL34 tubes work pretty well; I'd prefer them to anything that comes out of the New Sensor factory.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 21, 2011,
^ Thanks Cath.

And I stand corrected on the Tesla/JJ thing.

Quote by Perverockstar69
311, I'm thinking on getting a Splawn Nitro instead the RA. I need info on Nitro's cleans and clipped sound! Have to decide quick though.

Not sure man. Splawn Nitro's are wicked beasts for sure. Unfortunately, they are very modern(ly) voiced maybe to a fault and some complain they have a hard time getting mid gain (Marshall rock) out of them but I've heard some convincing clips otherwise. Find FastRedPonyCar's demo on youtube. Great demo. He shows how the Nitro can do great tones at all gain levels. Also, because of the way it is voiced some complain that it is not the best amp for dropped tunings (like C and B) because of all the extra inherent bass in this amp. They may be hard to find as well.

Otherwise - do it up man. Hella amp. I've never played one.

There is also a new Royal Atlantic vid out on youtube Rob Chappers - have you seen that?
Thank you, checked the video. Sounds amazing! I also play a lot of dropped C so, I'll stick to the Royal Atlantic, Splawn's looks really cool though, I thing they give you a formidable price for their stuff...
Quote by Cathbard
It's true, tubes actually labelled Tesla are better than a JJ but only marginally. I had a quad of Tesla EL34's in my JCM900 for ten years. I replaced them because they were sounding flat but they still worked good enough to keep as spares.
The SED winged C valves are the old Svetlanas. Tubes labelled Svetlana currently in production are in fact made by New Sensor (the Sovtek guys). Back in the day Svetlana were an "also ran" tube but by today's standards they are the best tube made. The price reflects this however. You'll pay twice as much for a SED as a JJ.
If you can find actual Tesla tubes for the same price as JJ or somewhere between JJ and SED, snap them up. If not, SED are best but I don't think they are twice as good. Depends on how much money you have to waste.
So to sum up. Buy the Teslas if you can afford them, if not just buy a set of JJ's and call it a day. If you are real broke, Shuguang EL34 tubes work pretty well; I'd prefer them to anything that comes out of the New Sensor factory.

Thank you Cath, very helpful as always. If I get famous would you be my guitar tech? PLZZZZZZ!
Just kidding . Thank you again man!
Out of personal experience, I've never liked EHX tubes - kinda brittle and harsh sounding to my hears.

I've been using Tung-Sols in the preamp and JJs in the power amp of my Ashdown for a while and I seem to like that combination myself.

You might want to look into KT77's as well - they are a direct replacement for EL34s. A UG user turned me onto them a couple years ago and I've been using them ever since. They have a huge, round bottom end and the upper mids and highs are smoother than an EL34, imo. Some people claim they have a bit more headroom, but I personally haven't noticed.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Out of personal experience, I've never liked EHX tubes - kinda brittle and harsh sounding to my hears.

I've been using Tung-Sols in the preamp and JJs in the power amp of my Ashdown for a while and I seem to like that combination myself.

You might want to look into KT77's as well - they are a direct replacement for EL34s. A UG user turned me onto them a couple years ago and I've been using them ever since. They have a huge, round bottom end and the upper mids and highs are smoother than an EL34, imo. Some people claim they have a bit more headroom, but I personally haven't noticed.

KT77's uh? Interesting... What do you think about these Cath? If I blow one or two EL34s would you think I can put the KT77's without biasing? Since Mesa Boogie amps have fixed bias...
you'd have to get a boogie specificed matched quad or get your amp modded so you can bias.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
you'd have to get a boogie specificed matched quad or get your amp modded so you can bias.

I like Mesa but that really sucks... ¬¬
Quote by Perverockstar69
KT77's uh? Interesting... What do you think about these Cath? If I blow one or two EL34s would you think I can put the KT77's without biasing? Since Mesa Boogie amps have fixed bias...

My Ashdown has a fixed bias. KT77s are direct replacements for EL34s meaning they run at the same plate voltage and have the same pin configuration. Most websites actually list KT77s as an EL34 variant.

Metalhedit:

What Min was trying to say is that Mesa tests tubes and finds ones that are biased close enough to what they feel their amps should run at and then sells them as Mesa tubes. Yea, buying tubes from Mesa will get you as close to "factory standard" as you can get, but its not necessary. There are tons of amps out there that are fixed bias that the company doesn't test and sell tubes for.

If you wanted to run KT77s (or any non-Mesa EL34) then you would be perfectly fine as long as your buying matched pairs/quads. They may not be biased to what the factory likes, but as long as they're matched they won't be far off enough to hurt your amp.

Metalhedit 2:

As for the second part of my edit - you just have to keep in mind that if you're buying non-Mesa tubes then you may buy a set one time that are biased on the lower end and the next set may be biased on the upper end, so you run the risk of not having consistent tone from one set of tubes to the next.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Sep 21, 2011,