I have never seen a video lesson or read a lesson from a famous professional guitarist on string muting, as if it's something they don't really focus on, even though their playing is always so clean.

For example, Paul Gilbert. From some angles that I have seen of his picking hand, it doesn't seem like he is muting unwanted string noise with his palm, yet his playing is clean without any unwanted string noise. Marty Friedman even says he picks the way he does because he doesn't like the sound of his palm rubbing against the strings, yet how does he play as he does without unwanted string noise (I'm talking about live performances, not in the studio where I know he will use other means to mute the strings).

So I'm wondering, how do they do it? Do they follow the same principles that many guitar teachers recommend (with the palm and index finger)? How do some guitarists mute even though it doesn't look like they are?
Control and Precision for one, will make less unwanted string noise.
Palm muting and fretting hand muting
Some people use hairbands around the nut
Noise suppressors (pedals)
Where's Waldo?
it's all in the technique.
some people (occasionally myself), use hairbands to deaden the strings.
well pickups and mostly humbuckers are suppose to reduce the buzzing of the strings by alot
Gating plays a massive part. You using a noise gate in your chain? I'm not great with using compression and gating but a mate is a soundy and he has the ability to clean my sound up a heap with a few tweaks (i use the POD HD500 for fx).

My tapping is pretty crap so i use a hair tie to dampen the strings which helps a bunch.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Marty Friedman...not in the studio where I know he will use other means to mute the strings

Not quite.

If you watch the video of them making the Youthanasia album, you can clearly see that Marty doesn't use hairbands or any bullshit like that.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Control and Precision for one, will make less unwanted string noise.
Palm muting and fretting hand muting
Some people use hairbands around the nut
Noise suppressors (pedals)

This, apart from noise suppressors. They won't remove string noise from your playing.
Brilliant left hand muting technique
Brilliant right hand muting technique
Precise picking
Precise fingering

Combine the four ?

Winner winner chicken dinner
Quote by mrbabo91

Brilliant right hand muting technique

The thing is, when I look at some pros, it doesn't look like they are using their right hand to mute any of the lower strings, which was my point. Some pros I have noticed have a completely floating hand, some avoid muting strings, etc.

My main question was how do they mute the lower strings if they aren't using their right hand.
Quote by zincabopataurio
The thing is, when I look at some pros, it doesn't look like they are using their right hand to mute any of the lower strings, which was my point. Some pros I have noticed have a completely floating hand, some avoid muting strings, etc.

My main question was how do they mute the lower strings if they aren't using their right hand.

They are either

1. Not using much distortion
2. Using a hairband
3. Using a noise suppresor (chances are it wont do much anyway)
4. Muting with the tips of their left hand fingers. This is very hard to do during lead lines though
I use the fingers I am not fretting with to mute the high strings (GBE) and then use the palm of my pick hand sometimes almost like a palm mute other times very very faintly on the low strings (EAD) depending on how the song is played, you really have to play around and see what fits your playing style really.

Often there's subtle things going on with the thumb, I often mute like that. Can you link me? Might be able to shed some light on it and if not I'd be interested to see it!
This might not be completely related, but I've been trying to learn from this guy's technique lately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIIx0fwVRs

Notice how well he mutes all the strings he's not playing with his right hand. When there's no string ringing, the right hand rests over the strings. He also chooses to fret a lot of the notes with his pinky for easier muting. Start slow and pay attention, it's a very important thing to work on.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
^ Bulb has ridiculous muting chops. Notice that when he's playing those lines on the low B he's muting the rests with the right hand AND two fingers from his left hand. One would create harmonics, two kills the string dead.

I watched this a few days ago and Drewsif has equally sick muting chops - watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtSOk_3gt0#t=46 and pay really close attention to his left ring and pinky - by spreading them a little he massively reduces the risk of a harmonic, and ends up with killswitch levels of total silence.

(and keep watching till 1:08 )