I want to learn how to play the guitar, so I have been going to guitar center by our house. I have been there three times already. Two times by myself, and once with my cousin, who is a professional musician. After searching around the store and searching on amazon.com, I have nailed it down to the fender dg60 and the Fender fa135ce. Both are about the same price, except one is an acoustic (the dg60) and the other is an acoustic electric (fa135ce). For the money, my guess is the acoustic electric would be the better choice since if I do eventually get good, I wouldn’t have to buy another guitar to be able to plug it into an amp (and it has a cutaway). But then, I read somewhere online that acoustic electrics could malfunction because of all of the components that go into making the guitar an acoustic/electric. First of all, is this true? And since I am a beginner, is it worth it to invest in a acoustic electric, or should I stick with the acoustic (dg60)? Since I am a beginner, both guitars sounded relatively the same.

Also, I noticed Amazon, sells the guitars at a bit of a lower price with free shipping (and no taxes!). Is there a danger to have a guitar shipped to me?
these are both entry level guitars. if you get good, you're going to want to step up to a guitar that sounds better and has better build quality - a solid top, at least. if you want to play through an amp, or hope to learn to play those very high notes, get the acoustic electric. sure, the electronics could malfunction, although that's not as common as you might think. and even if they do, you can get them fixed, and in the meantime at least the guitar will still play acoustically.

btw, a lot of very good players never get an acoustic electric - they have their guitar mic'ed when they're on stage. still, if you want to plug in to play with friends, an acoustic electric could come in handy.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Sep 21, 2011,
Should there be any danger with ordering it online and having it shipped? My cousin told me the guitar could possibly warp during shipment.
i've never heard of that happening, and i know guitar store owners as well as lots of players who buy online, myself included a guitar could get damaged in shipping - it happens - but the the common issue is getting one that the factory didn't get right - finish issues, neck or other problems. if you buy from a seller with a friendly exchange policy, they should take care of you in case of damage or problems. i've done well that way with musiciansfriend, guitarcenter and americanmusical. haven't bought a guitar from amazon, but they've been great about exchanging other items.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
You'd probably be safe ordering it online. The catch is that even two of the same model guitars may sound different. To be honest, if there's one in store you've played, and you like, I'd buy that one rather than buy online.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
^^^agreed. good luck. practice lots!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix

Yairi DY-61 and I don't need anything else
Should I invest my money into one of these beginner/intermediate guitars or go for something like the takamine s35. Last time I checked on amazon, it was about 70 dollars. One of the cheapest guitars I've seen so far.
Quote by Bloxy
Also, I noticed Amazon, sells the guitars at a bit of a lower price with free shipping (and no taxes!). Is there a danger to have a guitar shipped to me?
I've bought acoustic guitars from both Musician's Friend and zZounds. Both companies have placed the guitar's original factory cardboard box into another larger box for shipping. Both instruments arrived in perfect condition.

One supposes that Amazon would treat a guitar order in a similar manner, but I can't speak from experience.

Your location might influence who you should order from. I live in Philly, and my first choice would be zZounds, who ships from North Jersey. From them to me, UPS ground is overnight, guaranteed! And if you place your order by maybe 2:00 PM, they'll ship the same day.

Amazon's, "Free Super Saver Shipping", is a longer more circuitous process, which I stay away from for major purchases. I do use it for CD/DVD, Pet Meds, and small things I'm in no hurry for.

The only time you'll pay sales tax on the internet, is when the seller has a brick and mortar operation in your home state. In other words, I pay no tax or shipping charges from my previously mentioned suppliers.

If possible, I would always go for the acoustic electric. It's much cheaper to buy the guitar with electronics than to retrofit it later.

Even low level amplification can give you a fuller sound by adding some delay or reverb to the guitar's basic sound.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 23, 2011,
If you are able, I would recommend saving for a solid-top acoustic. You may be able to find something cheaper in plywood today, but you may feel frustrated with the tone -- or how hard it is to get a good tone out of it. I suspect you may be happier if you hold on until you can find one with a solid top. You, will, after all, be spending many hours with your new guitar, so you may as well invest your time in a guitar that will reward you with good sound and playability.

As for a cut-away & electronics, my experience is that on lower end guitars, the upper frets may not have such a good tone anyway, particularly if the intonation on the guitar isn't particularly accurate (common on cheap guitars). For good sound all the way up the fret board, you may be looking at buying a better guitar than the one you can find for $70 on line.
Quote by Steve BP
If you are able, I would recommend saving for a solid-top acoustic. You may be able to find something cheaper in plywood today, but you may feel frustrated with the tone -- or how hard it is to get a good tone out of it. I suspect you may be happier if you hold on until you can find one with a solid top. You, will, after all, be spending many hours with your new guitar, so you may as well invest your time in a guitar that will reward you with good sound and playability.

As for a cut-away & electronics, my experience is that on lower end guitars, the upper frets may not have such a good tone anyway, particularly if the intonation on the guitar isn't particularly accurate (common on cheap guitars). For good sound all the way up the fret board, you may be looking at buying a better guitar than the one you can find for $70 on line.
With what's been posted thus far, it does beg the question, "can you even buy an acoustic-electric for $70.00"? Even $300.00 guitars can have lots of plywood. One shudders to think of the materials employed at the $70.00 price point. Perhaps the wood remnants from a, "This Old House" project, and some Wheaties boxes.

Quote by Bloxy
Should there be any danger with ordering it online and having it shipped? My cousin told me the guitar could possibly warp during shipment.
Well, it might warp because of the fact it's a $70.00 dollar guitar, but shipping would have zero influence on that.

Once upon a time, there were $15.00 guitars. Now they cost $70.00. As I recall, they were nasty contraptions. The debate between acoustic and acoustic-electric becomes sort of moot at this price point. The fact is, you'll have to, and most certainly will want to, upgrade to another instrument very soon anyway. That is, if all goes well with your progress.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 23, 2011,