I've been jamming with some guys who are into post rock. I do some tapping and finger picking mostly, but sometimes I like to introduce the bass overdrive and soar into an "In your face," loud, rockish kind of riff. (think muse's bassist) They guys I jam with don't really want to play that, so I'm forced to keep it to myself and stick to the ambiance-like post rock slow stuff. I'm not saying I don't like what we play, but I wouldn't mind getting together with a drummer to make some songs. maybe like a Muse/white stripes mix kind of sound, also with a heavy double bass thrash kind of drum feel. I'd probably get an effects pedal that could do some crunchy overdrive and/or distortion, but also some cool synths would be nice. What do you guys think of this? What would be some good effects/pedals to use? Any similar bands?
Also, totally irrelevant, but I got a new tattoo. Check it out.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Sep 21, 2011,
Guitar+bass+drums > bass+drums

I don't like tatoos, that's pretty gay.

Not literally.
nice nips

it will work if you try to fill the rhythm section too a la les claypool but just drum and bass rarely works as a full on band. it's fine for an occasional song, maybe even a whole album, but a whole band is really pushing it
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Sep 21, 2011,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_%28band%29

There's no reason you can't. There are quite a few bands who do just that, Om are just my favourite.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
DFA79, that is all. Yes it can be done, yes you should do it

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

bass + drums is better than guitar + drums. especially if the guitar's just gonna play parallel fifths anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahe9BPmMJAc

there was a UGer here forever ago and he played bass in this band. same concept as yours. he was insanely talented. "the password to bill gates" was always a personal favorite.

http://www.myspace.com/theinternetgrind
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Sep 21, 2011,
Thanks guys. I'm loving Death From Above and I like that other clip, primusfan. Mine would probably be more like DFA, but still encompassing a lot of heavier riffs and drums.
I've done it! It's a ton of fun. You really get to approach bass playing differently. It did get me addicted to pedals for a while though, haha... so watch your wallet.

Here's some more motivation for ya!

Big Buisness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgFiLV1wiiA&feature=related

Double Dagger (local friends... they have 3 people, but it's bass/drums/vocals): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkKSDVXD8vA&feature=related

Lightning Bolt (i was at this show!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7BDZ7KyNRE another, longer vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NitBom0ah7Y

Whitey Houston: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APXrFWi9KLM

Clatter (I'm not a fan of them, musically, but here it is anways): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhQ2F56Gn0

Gatechien: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8wWLPp_ak

Thrones (just bass and a drum machine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq6FSwz1dVg

Ruins (probably the most talented Bass/Drum duo i've ever heard): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC_IPdZdGm8&feature=related
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Im liking a lot of those. Any suggestions for good pedals?
What's your current rig? I have a russian big muff, it's in need of repair but it was great, instead I've been using a Dano Fab Tone, or my bad monkey to good effect, also budget friendly. I don't normally use them though, sometimes light chorus though for cheesy trip effect or both. Right now, I just got a 2 channel tube preamp, which lets me set an even thick clean tone and a balls to the walls distortion so I think with that I don't need anything, but Al Cisneros sleep stuff is making me want an auto wah/env. filter

I think 2 piece's are cool, of course bass ones might have less appeal at first thought, but it's for sure doable and cool. I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than guitar + drums when done right, I like the black keys minus most of the new album, and loved the white stripes.

Edit: that Clatter band was cool until 20 seconds in when she starts singing, became something disappointing
Last edited by askrere at Sep 21, 2011,
My current rig is an Acoustic 200 B200H, B410 cab, and Fender 24 bass. (wish it was a 5 or 6 stringer)

It get great tone and plenty of volume. I have no distortion. Last year I bought a Russian Big Muff PI new at GC, but it crapped out on me within a month. IDK what happened to it, but its still sitting here, lying around.
Did yours stop lighting up and working, but the bypass still work? Keep it around, once I get mine fixed I'll let you know what my issue was. They are no longer made, and started fetching kind of crazy prices here ($150+) when I only paid about $40 for it.

Ever gigged with that? how does it hold up to a drummer and guitars?
Haha... the world is preeeetty much your oyster with pedals, when doing the Bass+Drums thing.

I'll give you the rundown of my rig when i was doing my 2 piece:

Basses:
-Ibanez ATK300
-Harmony P clone

Amps:
-Sunn Colliseum
-Peavey Mark 3 (later replaced by a Sunn 2000s tube head)

Cabs:
-70's Acoustic 6x10 (peavey head)
-Ampeg 2x15 (sunn head)
-Sunn 2x15 (sunn head)

*the 2x15s were rated at 16 ohms, so i ran them both at 8 ohms... so loud.

Pedals:
-Ibanez Stereo Chorus
-Boss Bass Chorus
-Boss CH-2 super chorus
-Akai Headrush e2 delay
-Boss DD-3 delay
-EHX Memory Man
-Line6 DL-4 delay (w/expression pedal)
-Boss RC-20xl Loop station
-Boss BF-2 flanger
-DOD Phase90 phaser
-Boss RV-5 reverb
-Digitech Digiverb reverb
-EHX stereo Pulsar tremolo
-Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
-Digitech Whammy 4 octave-weirdness-alizer
-Boss OC-2 octaver
-EHX Bass Balls envelope filter
-EHX Green Russian Muff fuzz
-EHX White Civil War Muff fuzz
-Boss ODB-3 overdrive
-Ibanez TS808 overdrive
-DOD 250 overdrive
-Boss MD-2 distortion
-ProCo Rat distortion

a tuner, some line-switch boxes, and some DIY homemade 'noise circuits', and that was that.

I didn't use everything at the same time, but that's what i had around me, then.

Stereo pedals are VERY fun when you have some bi-amping ability. When you use a lot of dirt, you can become kinda' thin sounding... so the Delay, reverb and Chorus pedals work great to help fill out the sound. After that, play around!

As for amps... go used! Everything i used was made before the mid-80's. No single piece cost me more than $300 (including the 2000s, which i got in a trade). Old Acoustic, Peavey, Sunn, Kustom, GK and Trace Elliot solidstate heads sound amazing, considering you can pick them up super cheap of craigslist. For cabs, also buy used and buy big!! 2x15s and 1x15s tend to be cheaper than cabs loaded with 10's. So, if you need to be loud, buying 15's will get you there cheaper than the 10's.

Good luck!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Woa, thanks guys.
Askrere, I dont think I ever have gigged with it., but it's just as loud if not louder than my 2x10 avatar/carvin setup that I DID gig with. And yes, thats pretty much what happened to my big muff. Im not sure if it can still bypass, but Ill try it out later and see.
Quote by Din of Win

Cabs:
-70's Acoustic 6x10 (peavey head)
-Ampeg 2x15 (sunn head)
-Sunn 2x15 (sunn head)

*the 2x15s were rated at 16 ohms, so i ran them both at 8 ohms... so loud.

For cabs, also buy used and buy big!! 2x15s and 1x15s tend to be cheaper than cabs loaded with 10's. So, if you need to be loud, buying 15's will get you there cheaper than the 10's.

What kind of vehicle did you drive to carry all those cabs??

and yea 15's are the way to go, as of yesterday I now play through 3 1x15's. Maybe it's cause I've never used anything but 15's since I went beyond a shitey kona practice amp
Im thinking on a Gallien 1x15 for my rig. The new really lightweight ones.
Quote by askrere
What kind of vehicle did you drive to carry all those cabs??

Something like this:

and yea 15's are the way to go, as of yesterday I now play through 3 1x15's. Maybe it's cause I've never used anything but 15's since I went beyond a shitey kona practice amp

Hmmm... 3 15's sounds awesome! These days i usually get by with just my 1x15, 4x10, or both stacked together.
my biggest amp only goes to 300 when I get it working, need the option of more air.

oooh a rape van, just joking of course.
Quote by askrere
my biggest amp only goes to 300 when I get it working, need the option of more air.

Pshh, that's how i roll too! My main two amps these days are an 80's GK 400rb (200w), a 1967 Kustom200 Tuck n Roll (150w, IIRC), and my 70's Traynor YBA-3cs all tube (120w). I've had 600w and 750w amps, but i never needed that much... in my opinion, the extra power made everything really steril sounding. I like the gritty tone of a lower wattage amp being pushed. If that means i gotta get hella ripped lugging around more cabs, so be it. I completely preffer VOLUME out of more cabs than i do maore watts.

oooh a rape van, just joking of course.

Haha, it was pretty sketchy to be honest. The floor at a few points was completely rusted through. I got it right before the 1st Pirates of the Caribean movie came out... when it did we named the van 'The Grey Pearl' and painted a really crappy jolley roger on it.

Oh, to be young again
Din of Win, you're exactly right. I've found that many speakers + lower wattage is much much much better than higher wattage + equal or less speakers. In fact, my new rig sounds just a TAD quieter than my old Kustom 3x10 1200 watt combo and my avatar 2x10 + Carvin 1200 watt head.
Quote by Din of Win
Pshh, that's how i roll too! My main two amps these days are an 80's GK 400rb (200w), a 1967 Kustom200 Tuck n Roll (150w, IIRC), and my 70's Traynor YBA-3cs all tube (120w). I've had 600w and 750w amps, but i never needed that much... in my opinion, the extra power made everything really steril sounding. I like the gritty tone of a lower wattage amp being pushed. If that means i gotta get hella ripped lugging around more cabs, so be it. I completely preffer VOLUME out of more cabs than i do maore watts.

Haha, it was pretty sketchy to be honest. The floor at a few points was completely rusted through. I got it right before the 1st Pirates of the Caribean movie came out... when it did we named the van 'The Grey Pearl' and painted a really crappy jolley roger on it.

Oh, to be young again

Yea, I think the cab thing might be the way I go. Some guys offering me a peavey 6x12 for a guitar I paid $50 might as well take it and see if it handles bass, or sell it seems kind of unheard of. It's got Special Q 12" subwoofers in it? Never heard of it sounds odd.

Of course I drive a volvo so If i were to really use that I'd need to borrow a truck. probably
Quote by askrere
Yea, I think the cab thing might be the way I go. Some guys offering me a peavey 6x12 for a guitar I paid $50 might as well take it and see if it handles bass, or sell it seems kind of unheard of. It's got Special Q 12" subwoofers in it? Never heard of it sounds odd.

Of course I drive a volvo so If i were to really use that I'd need to borrow a truck. probably

WET

That sounds awesome.
Indeed enough so I think to push the fact my room is on the second floor out of my mind

Edit: sorry to steal from your thread if I am. but here's a pic. but I could say this is a good piece to look for maybe

Heres a pic of it's original look and the current look of what I am getting
Attachments:
6x12.JPG
photo(27).JPG
Last edited by askrere at Sep 24, 2011,