Ok so I've been trying to get rid of my combo in order to get a half stack. I got an offer to trade for a Randall tube combo, but I said I needed a half stack so he offered a Genz Benz cab. He says it's probably worth more than my amp (Peavey Valveking 112 50 Watt Combo Amp). The only problem is I can't find the amp anywhere on the internet with the price of it.

The amp model is Genz Benz GB 412SL, and the power is 400w/8 ohms.

Does anyone know how much this cab is worth? I just want to know because you never know if it's cheap or not. I see the GB 412 on other amps, and they're all worth quite a lot, but I haven't seen the SL slapped on the end. Help?
Quote by Sonogramophonic
Ok so I've been trying to get rid of my combo in order to get a half stack. I got an offer to trade for a Randall tube combo, but I said I needed a half stack so he offered a Genz Benz cab. He says it's probably worth more than my amp (Peavey Valveking 112 50 Watt Combo Amp). The only problem is I can't find the amp anywhere on the internet with the price of it.

The amp model is Genz Benz GB 412SL, and the power is 400w/8 ohms.

Does anyone know how much this cab is worth? I just want to know because you never know if it's cheap or not. I see the GB 412 on other amps, and they're all worth quite a lot, but I haven't seen the SL slapped on the end. Help?

just ask him what speakers are in it. thats all that really matters for assumed lower priced cab.

when you go higher into the cabinet world, cabs matter.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
just ask him what speakers are in it. thats all that really matters for assumed lower priced cab.

when you go higher into the cabinet world, cabs matter.

Ok I just did that. But I'm just trying to get a figure on how much it's worth. Cuz what I was hoping to do is to sell the cab if it's worth enough to get a stack.
Quote by Sonogramophonic
Ok so I've been trying to get rid of my combo in order to get a half stack. I got an offer to trade for a Randall tube combo, but I said I needed a half stack

Why do you need a half stack?

Not sure on that particular cab, but my 2*12 GB gflex cab which has pretty flubby and excessive bass when teemed with a bass heavy amp. This is probably due to the porting.
But yeah, speakers are more important than cab construction. Not saying that cab construction isn't important.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Why do you need a half stack?

Not sure on that particular cab, but my 2*12 GB gflex cab which has pretty flubby and excessive bass when teemed with a bass heavy amp. This is probably due to the porting.
But yeah, speakers are more important than cab construction. Not saying that cab construction isn't important.

Because I'm in a band and we're going to be playing shows soon.

And ok, I'll wait for him to let me know what kind of speakers they are. I just wonder why I can't find the amp anywhere on the internet.
Alright well he doesn't know what kind of speakers they are, but he sent me a picture of one of them from the amp. It's a 400w cab so each speaker is 100w. It's also an older model, so I guess they still make it but just with a different cover and grill cloth.
Quote by Sonogramophonic
Because I'm in a band and we're going to be playing shows soon.

And ok, I'll wait for him to let me know what kind of speakers they are. I just wonder why I can't find the amp anywhere on the internet.

Not a good enough reason. Sounds to me like you don't need a half stack.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish

Does it really matter? I want a half stack.
Quote by Sonogramophonic
Does it really matter? I want a half stack.

Why? To look cool?
RIP Gooze

cats
Better sound? Hardly. If at all.
Louder? Nope. Better sound projection might come from more speakers however.
More power? By power I assume you mean wattage, in which case, maybe. But more wattage =/= necessarily equal better.

And for a head and cab you'll be paying more money than a combo [especially if you get a 4*12] which will negate any of the above bonuses. Unless you have a budget of around $1200+
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Sonogramophonic
Alright well he doesn't know what kind of speakers they are, but he sent me a picture of one of them from the amp. It's a 400w cab so each speaker is 100w. It's also an older model, so I guess they still make it but just with a different cover and grill cloth.

what did it say on the back of the speakers? at least have him take the back off and send you a pic.

i buy cabs for the speakers that come in them, as i am a speaker OCD psychopath, then ditch the cabs as empty and sit aside until i build a new cabinet.

i have
22 Celestion V30's
6 english T75's
4 english K85's
a 15" Eminence legend
and a bass combo with two 10's.
its addicting.

so thats why i am asking. you might be able to ditch the cab for the value of the speakers. just a thought.

if it is a cab with K100's i would jump on it after he throws you some cash.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by mulefish
Better sound? Hardly. If at all.
Louder? Nope. Better sound projection might come from more speakers however.
More power? By power I assume you mean wattage, in which case, maybe. But more wattage =/= necessarily equal better.

And for a head and cab you'll be paying more money than a combo [especially if you get a 4*12] which will negate any of the above bonuses. Unless you have a budget of around $1200+

Better sound? Depends on who you talk to. You saying "hardly" and "if at all" means absolutely nothing to anyone other than yourself. I like the head/cabinet configuration more than combos.
Louder? Yes. Is that much volume necessary? Probably not.
More power? Yes. Is that much necessary? Probably not.

Let OP get a head and cab if he wants one. Some people do prefer that setup over combos. Like me, and many others.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by mulefish

Hey while we're at it, we don't need an amp. Nor guitar picks, pickups, floyd rose or anything that we don't need to play guitar. We can just tie some strings onto a piece of wood and jam away on that.

What's with all the hate on halfstacks here lately? I think him wanting a halfstack warrants a good enough reason to buy one.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at Sep 21, 2011,
What is this bullshit about not 'needing' a half stack? They have better sound spread for one thing, that's a good enough reason for me to own one, do you think that all those bands you see out there with 4x12s are wasting their time too? Honestly..
Quote by 3074326
Better sound? Depends on who you talk to. You saying "hardly" and "if at all" means absolutely nothing to anyone other than yourself. I like the head/cabinet configuration more than combos.
Louder? Yes. Is that much volume necessary? Probably not.
More power? Yes. Is that much necessary? Probably not.

Let OP get a head and cab if he wants one. Some people do prefer that setup over combos. Like me, and many others.

I'm obviously not going to hold his hand whilst he buys it. Nor am I going to criticize him forever if he doesn't take my advice.
If he had given a good reason for wanting a head and cab then that would be fine. The reason's he gave however, were not good enough for ts to not look at combos at all. I'm not saying avoid half stacks at all costs, I'm saying don't discard looking at combos without a valid reason.
How does a head and cab sound better than a combo? I'm talking say a 2*12 combo over the same 2*12 in head and cab form. Remove amount of speakers from the equation. The difference may be there, but it's a fairly small factor

Quote by Mopy
Hey while we're at it, we don't need an amp. Nor guitar picks, pickups, floyd rose or anything that we don't need to play guitar. We can just tie some strings onto a piece of wood and jam away on that.

What's with all the hate on halfstacks here lately? I think him wanting a halfstack warrants a good enough reason to buy one.

In regard's to the bold part see above.
He can get what he wants, but the reasons he gave for not even looking at combos were silly. He's not even trying out any combos. Sure if he want's a halfstack to feel cool he can go and do that, but in the cheaper range [which I'm assuming is ts's budget] they aren't worth it.

As to the non bold part. Well, that bullshit doesn't even warrant a reply
RIP Gooze

cats
Believe it or not, telling him he doesn't need a half stac kisn't helpful. TS, why would you sell that cab? Just trade for the cab and then buy a head.

Also, I have a 6x12 stack and my bassist has a 4x10. haters gonna hate.