Page 1 of 2
godly tone, amazing amp built by a good friendly honest staff, and quality of amp that costs $1k more than you would expect.

i have had the KT88 Nitro for almost a year now. amazing amp, the only complaint is that it is buzzy as all hell at low volumes, but the tone after "bedroom" levels it screams and kicks you in the nuts and thumps your chest.

a lot of splawn players swear by scott splawn's cabs and his sig speakers. i haven't had the chance to buy one yet, but i play it with made in england K85's, and it just kills.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well respected brand. Hot rodded marshall tone. Ask 311. He has one.
Never heard anything bad about them actually...
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Well respected brand. Hot rodded marshall tone. Ask 311. He has one.
Never heard anything bad about them actually...

311 has a quickrod which is EL34 based. in addition to my nitro i have a Promod, which is identical to a quickrod except the promod is KT88.

i run my Nitro and Promod in stereo, and eargasm...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup

You have no idea how jelly I am every time I see your sig.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
You have no idea how jelly I am every time I see your sig.

thanks... lol. they are killer amps, 311 is responsible for me hearing a splawn, ever since the first demo i saw i knew i needed one and one is never enough .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Perverockstar69
Nice, so do you think is a better option instead the Mesa Royal Atlantic?

Depends on what you use it for, but IMO, yes, it is.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
311 has a quickrod which is EL34 based. in addition to my nitro i have a Promod, which is identical to a quickrod except the promod is KT88.

I can imagine
RIP Gooze

cats
nitro is more modern high gain.

quickrod is more hot rodded jcm800
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Perverockstar69
Main differences between Quickrod and Nitro?

Nitro is more geared towards modern metal stuff. Quick rod is more aimed towards the 80s hot rod marshall side of things although it still can get quite heavy.
Can the nitro do nice rock and blues tones besides doing br00tz, or should I go with the Quickrod? I want the amp for almost everything (funk, reggae, blues) but specially for stoner, alternative, hard rock and metal.
i dunno. I liked the quickrod but the clean channel didn't wow me.

Quote by Perverockstar69
Main differences between Quickrod and Nitro?

Nitro = More low mids
Quickrod = More high mids

The Nitro is a more modern take on a hotrodded JCM 800 and the Quickrod is a bit more of a classic approach.

I used to own an EL-34 Nitro, cool amp, I also had a KT-88 one for a while. The EL-34 is much more organic in its tone, it's clearer, but not quite as brutal as the KT-88 version. The KT-88 is much drier sounding to me, but it makes a better metal amp because the lowend on it is ridiculously tight. They both respond to cabs differently - The EL-34 version sounds pretty bad with V30s IMO, but a nice set of Eminence Texas Heats, or the Splawn Small Blocks and you've got a killer rig - The KT-88 version gets along with speakers much better and the typical V30 setup for metal sounds great with it.

A note about the KT-88 version: Converting it to use EL-34s is much more of a hassle than converting the EL-34 verion to use KT-88s, which only requires soldering in a single resistor to the circuit.

FWIW though, neither is my favorite hotrodded Marshall in that price range. Try to find a used Orange Rockerverb 100 (The MKI version - Yes, it makes a difference), or a Rivera K-Tre. Both are phenomenal amps that I certainly wouldn't mind having again.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 21, 2011,
ya. rockerverb 100 Mk1 and a rivera k-tre.

i would certainly not say no. definitely miss those 2 sometimes.

great cleans on those two guys too. and great reverb.

Both Derek (trashedlostfdup) and Derek (Matrix Claw) pretty much summed it up. I also responded in your other thread.

Normally threads with an OP like this I would point to the 'What Amp' sticky but I recognize you. Rockerverb (played) or the K-Tre (not played) would be good options as well.

I don't think I would get a Nitro if you also play blues and jazz. The Quick Rod would be better suited for the range of music you want to play. Quick Rods may also be better for down tunings. Splawns in general do not have the greatest clean channels but are very usable. They are your standared Marshall clean. That said - FastRedPonyCar has a great Nitro vid on youtube where he hits all kinds of stuff. Splawns are made very well and are super clear and articulate. Tight, dry and open too.

You live in Mexico right? How do you plan to get a Splawn in there?

Also MC - I thought in order to go back to EL34s from KT88's is was simply a matter of snipping that resistor off? Or did you type that wrong? Or am I misunderstanding the mod?

Splawn cabs are frickin' awesome with Small Blocks (made by Eminence).
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 21, 2011,
A relative is buying the amp for me and getting it shipped to me through https://www.ipsparcel.com/ , the money is already over the states (my relative is buying it today or tomorrow I think). I know if I buy the Splawn I'll have to wait until they build it and ship it. They are both in my maximum price range so thats why I'm considering these too but I do need versatility (a lot) so I think I'll stick to the Royal Atlantic anyway. But believe me that I'm considering on getting a Splawn after this (maybe a year or so). Thank you.
So roughly $150 or so to ship 60 lb amp head? Customs doesn't care if it is new or used? I don't know - I'm just asking. There are tons of clips on the splawn proboards - let me know if you need that link. Don't get me wrong - I have a lot of GAS for the RA. Have fun either way and make sure you do a proper NAD for us - we love the pr0nz.

This is the best clean tone (at intro) that I've gotten with my Quick Rod
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play809374

There is also a ZOSO Gear 1 clip which is pretty clean.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also MC - I thought in order to go back to EL34s from KT88's is was simply a matter of snipping that resistor off? Or did you type that wrong? Or am I misunderstanding the mod?

As far as I know, no.

Unless Scott has changed the design of the KT-88 version (which I believe he did for the 2010 model of both), the original version required more mods to allow it to use EL-34s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
As far as I know, no.

Unless Scott has changed the design of the KT-88 version (which I believe he did for the 2010 model of both), the original version required more mods to allow it to use EL-34s.

http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=nitro&thread=8594&page=1

There was something more formal on it but I can't find it. Maybe it was FRPC's thread on it.
ya it's just an issue with the bias voltage since kt88s need a lot more then el34s.

shouldn't be an issue with modern transformers though.

some of the vintage ones like the hiwatt came specced with a 40-50v bias tap so you could eek out just enough bias voltage for the kt88s if you eliminated all the resistors in the bias supply.

$132 for shipping, my relative is removing all tags from the head and packing it in another box so it doesn't look brand new. Maybe some stickers will help too.
Quote by Perverockstar69
$132 for shipping, my relative is removing all tags from the head and packing it in another box so it doesn't look brand new. Maybe some stickers will help too.
Dude, buy this guy's Nitro, he's in Mexico, too: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100890

IpponEdit: His NAD thread at ss.org: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/120366-finally-nad-splawn-mesa-content.html

Last edited by Ippon at Sep 21, 2011,
The Nitro's a solid amp. I preferred the voicing on the quickrod though. If you're playing "everything" it would be a better choice, although personally I would go with something like a Soldano Lucky 13 instead if you can swing it. At least for multi-genre cover work it has much better cleans. Of course it's all personal preference - a quickrod or nitro would be just fine too.

Scott's great to do business with.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Sep 21, 2011,
ippon knows where every amp is.

in the world.

i call him when i lose my ipad.

edit: never played a nitro, but i trust derek and 311 and derek and sometimes y.
ippon find me a lucky 13

the cleans on the nitro or promod are not terrible, but they can be a little work to get to sound good. what i find though is that the eq on the mids needs to be adjusted as you turn the amp louder. the clean sounds a lot better with the gain knob turned between noon and three, its not like a dirty clean, it stays pretty clean. fender twin cleans no. as far as cleans go however, i think they are just as good or not better than pretty much two channel high gain amp. a few do, but i cant remember off the top of my head.

as far as on a QR/PM in first gear, and lower the gain and roll back on your guitar's volume, it gets nice and gritty and it is very dynamic to your guitars volume.

also i dont know the proper term to say this, but the QR/PM/Nitro are very revealing in the sense that they wont hide any sloppy playing.

another thing that i dont know has been touched on, but there is an OD1 and OD2 for both amps. the nitro doesn't have the gears though unlike the others.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well, I JUST contacted the guy selling the nitro in Mexico, he is selling the head with a Mesa Boogie cab, an MXR smart gate and an MXR OD-GT for just 1800 USD !!!WOWWWWWWWWW

Edit: 2x12 rectifier cab.
This is the thing. My aunt brought the money to a relative in the states (she's over there right now and coming back saturday) so everything has to be quick, I'm waiting for a response from the guy selling the Nitro (I think is a really good deal to get all that stuff for the money) but I do like better the sounds I hear from the RA clips. I'll take my decision today I hope...
That's what I thought, but no luck, the guy sold the Nitro already . Sweetwater has 2 RAs in stock, already negotiating with them. Thank you anyway, that was a perfect deal... I'm sure I'll be really happy with my new RA anyway.
Quote by Perverockstar69
That's what I thought, but no luck, the guy sold the Nitro already . Sweetwater has 2 RAs in stock, already negotiating with them. Thank you anyway, that was a perfect deal... I'm sure I'll be really happy with my new RA anyway.
Goshdarnittoheck! You should've just called him and made arrangements.

Lots of nice Splawns and Soldanos are getting sold anyway; so, I'm sure you'll find a really nice one.

I almost bought a QR with Splawn 212 for $1100. It had a custom Purple tolex and lighting ala Hughes & Kettner. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2