Hey guys, after playing for about two years and changing the strings several times on the three guitars we have in this house, there is one thing I have yet to understand: slack. When we say I put "a lot of slack", does that mean put more string on the tuning peg side of the nut or the fret side of the nut?

Also, more importantly, how much slack should I be giving my strings? How does this contribute to tuning? Does more slack make your strings more sensitive or less sensitive to turning the machineheads? I imagine this sort of question has been asked a hundred times, as I've seen on Yahoo! Answers and Youtube, but I'd like your input. Thanks guys
guitar slack is term for wraps around the tuning peg. more wraps=more slack

generally you should have like 3 wraps (can be bit less on low strings) otherwise you're risking the string slipping from the peg. What I do when i restring my guitars is I stretch the string to the peg and leave about 2" extra. Seems to work like charm(also lots of guides recommend that). You can leave a little bit less on the lower strings, low E especially.
Alright thank you. And I'm assuming that having more string around your pegs makes it less sensitive to turning it x degrees, or does it not affect it at all?
yea it probably does, but i don't think it's too much of a difference. Although if you put too much string on the peg it does reduce tuning stability
I use two wraps and stagger the excess string over and under the playable string, then bend it around the string and cut it. Much better tuning stability for tremolos, I've found. Probably wouldn't make much difference for hard tails but I do it anyway.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E