I just want an amp that sounds great, but isn't too expensive.
Any suggestions?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Didn't you specify sounds great?
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Mesa triple rec?

srsness time, some sort of POD and decent headphones?
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Amplifiers are like many things in life: you get what you pay for. Save your money and get something a lot better. It will save you from upgrading and wasting money in the long run.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Amplifiers are like many things in life: you get what you pay for. Save your money and get something a lot better. It will save you from upgrading and wasting money in the long run.

cheapas.ses will be cheapas.ses
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
What's your budget?

I tried a Roland Cube 40XL the other day and personally loved the sound from it and it was about £180.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by FatalGear41

...the cliche answer provided in so many threads on this site.

Why is that that regardless of what people are asking for advice about, no matter what budget they have posted someone always provides this answer? Yes, the more you pay, the better quality you will get, but that's not the point of their question. Not everyone wants their hobby to make them bankrupt. Reading between the lines, this is going to be this guy's first amp. How many of you still use the first amp you bought?

To answer the original post, these people are sort of right - unless you spend more money, you won't find anything which they would describe as "great". However, as I'm guessing this is going to be your first amp, you probably have different expectations of what "great" means than these people.

I wouldn't recommend the amp you posted a link to, that looks too cheap and even a beginner will quickly discover it's weaknesses. Depending on your budget, have a look at the entry level practice amps made by Squire. They make reasonable quality amps for the beginner.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
How many of you still use the first amp you bought?

I kept and used my first amp for about sixteen years. When I moved, I gave it to someone who desperately needed an amplifier and as far as I know he's still using it.

I wouldn't suggest someone get a high-priced professional amplifier right off the bat unless price was no object. God knows I've seen people do it over the years. My point was twofold: a $19.00 amp is never a good idea, and aiming low with your gear usually ends up costing you more money in the long run as you consistently upgrade your kit. Start off with something good to begin with and it will last you a long time. And if you decide to sell it or trade up, it will retain some degree of value. Playing guitar or bass is not a hobby to be undertaken on the cheap. It is going to require a degree of investment in order to go about it the right way. That having been said, we are in a tremendously better position than that of, say thirty years ago. There were practically no good, reasonably inexpensive instruments and amplifiers back then. We should all consider ourselves lucky to have so many choices, but a certain degree of expense is still necessary to go about it properly.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Id much rather get a 20 bag then buy the amp TS posted. Money much better spent.

The absoloute cheapest i would reccomend is the roland microcube. You should get a good deal for one on ebay.
I recently bought my first amp... a used Peavey Vypyr 30 for $80. It does its job. The cleans aren't the best; but I'll have a 60W Vypyr tube in a few years.
That is a horrible option, unless you can not put any more money than that. A cheap modeling amp like Line 6 spider, Peavey Vyper, Roland Micro Cube, Vox VT, Fender Mustang I will make playing much more enjoyable. I'm pretty sure all of these amps have at least 1 version that are <$99 new, so used will get you even cheaper.

I agree with beckyjc a $20 bag would be a way better deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a 20$ amp. Its my iphone. Chord +app cost 20$. It sounds worse then anything I could imagine. Until I saw what TS posted. At least get a stack.

Quote by DimebagZappa
It sounds worse then anything I could imagine.

Looool
Where's Waldo?
I'm not going to tell you NOT to get an amp with modeling built in, but in my case I opted for a Fender Frontman 25, which differs from most cheap amps by having a 10" speaker (instead of 8"), and 25W instead of 10 or 15. These are still only $99 street price, which seems like a heck of a deal. Styling is traditional Fender with black knobs, silver cloth, etc.

Not too many features, just clean and overdrive channels (switchable), bass/mid/treble tone controls, and reverb. Obviously its solid-state, and so the overdrive isn't "tube like", but it's reasonable sounding. I bought a cheap Digitech effects box to go with it.
blue voodoo
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Seeing as you claim to be a metalhead (one of many around here...) a Peavey Vypyr is probably one of the best options at the moment. the 15W version can be had on eBay for about $50.

A Roland Microcube or a Fender Mustang would also serve you well. Just remember, a crapload of gain isn't always the best for metal.
I pride myself on my humility.
Last edited by mtshark at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington
...the cliche answer provided in so many threads on this site.

Why is that that regardless of what people are asking for advice about, no matter what budget they have posted someone always provides this answer?
Yes, the more you pay, the better quality you will get, but that's not the point of their question. Not everyone wants their hobby to make them bankrupt. Reading between the lines, this is going to be this guy's first amp. How many of you still use the first amp you bought?

To answer the original post, these people are sort of right - unless you spend more money, you won't find anything which they would describe as "great". However, as I'm guessing this is going to be your first amp, you probably have different expectations of what "great" means than these people.

I wouldn't recommend the amp you posted a link to, that looks too cheap and even a beginner will quickly discover it's weaknesses. Depending on your budget, have a look at the entry level practice amps made by Squire. They make reasonable quality amps for the beginner.

So you are going to call FatalGear out for providing the standard answer (which is the truth) and then turn around and do what you just complained about?

And isn't the Squier (not Squire) amps basically cheap Fender Frontmans? Those are pretty horrid amps. I owned one.

TS - look at the Vypyrs as mentioned. They provide a variety of different amp tones and effects that will keep you interested as well as a headphone jack and a USB port for recording or playing along to a CD/MP3. They start at $99 and go up from there. Vox and Roland have similar products as mentioned.
Under $500- Bugera amps, Jet City, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Under 200- Peavey Bandit 112 (great clean tone and takes pedals very well)

Peavey Vypyr, 75 if you could find one. Great all around amp. Ive gotten pretty much any tone i've needed out of mine. Versatility out the butt
Quote by DimebagZappa
I have a 20$ amp. Its my iphone. Chord +app cost 20$. It sounds worse then anything I could imagine. Until I saw what TS posted. At least get a stack.

Seriously, get this if you want something small. It's not that bad but there are louder amps in that price range like that orange w/e thingy. Its small but loud enough for bedroom.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So you are going to call FatalGear out for providing the standard answer (which is the truth) and then turn around and do what you just complained about?

I didn't say I was disagreeing with what he said, but if you actually read the full paragraph and not just the first sentence that you highlighted, you'd see that I did have a very valid point.

And yes, the Squire amps are the cheaper version of the Fender amps, in the same way that the Squire guitars are the cheaper version of the Fender guitars. They're fine for learners, just like the cheaper model of guitar is fine for learners.

Bear in mind this is a 16 year old kid we're trying to advise. If he's thinking of buying a $20 amp, the chances are it will take him a LONG time to save up so he has $100 to get the Fender model, so going for the Squire is probably the best compromise.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by stealstrings
Just did a little search. I found this.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-g10-10w-1x3.5-guitar-combo-amp/430834000001000

So I probably won't need any more help.

Seriously - anyone who asks for advice on getting a good and cheap amp and then posts that and says his search is over doesn't deserve any help. Anyone who thinks a $20 amp can provide great tone deserves everything they get, especially as he hasn't returned to the thread to consider any of the good suggestions that have been made. I think all of the amps mentioned have merit (except possibly the Fender Frontman) and all would certainly be better than his $20 option. If I wanted to go as cheap as possible in a real amp I'd personally look at a Roland Cube and ideally the 30X simply as the Cubes have been around for a while so are readily available on Ebay at good prices. Alternatively I'd try something like a Digitech RP system and a set of headphones.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by stealstrings
Just did a little search. I found this.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-g10-10w-1x3.5-guitar-combo-amp/430834000001000

So I probably won't need any more help.

Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects