EDIT: I just read the 'no guitar questions thing'. Pardon me. Someone please change the section.

Correct me if this is in the wrong section.

I have been playing acoustic guitar for just about a year now. And I'm pretty decent at playing songs filled with powerchords. In other words, yes, i do listen to 'bad' music like Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41. I can play like, half of master of puppets. Now, I'm really interested in the bass guitar. I'm supposed to buy an electric guitar in a month or two. Now here's my dilemma. Part of me says buy a bass guitar instead of an electric, since I sort of love the sound and all. Part of me says that i should get an electric, since I've been practicing powerchords and lead and stuff all this while.

See, this bass guitar thingie came across my mind a month ago I guess. Till then it was going to be electric guitar. Then i started understanding the music I listened to more, and started to appreciate the bass much, much more. And well, a my friends do need a bassist in their band, not that it matters..

So could you like, advise me?

Thanks.
Last edited by FallenDestiny at Sep 21, 2011,
bass guitar either fits people with big hands, or people that don't care much about showing off. with a six-string bass, you can play anything you can on a six-string guitar in a lower octave. the only difference is how you apply it to a given song. most of the time it plays back-seat to the lead and rhythm guitar, but if you've ever listened to primus you'll see that a bass guitar can do amazing things and actually make the song. the original bassist for metallica was pretty damned good too. a great bassist excels at making the guitar sound good, and really the song in general, but the untrained ear won't notice it. so it's personal opinion, really. there aren't many good bassists out there, so you'd be a rarity if you were one. chords are really more for guitar in most genres of music, anyway.

EDIT: And 'power-chord' translates to two notes at the same time. You'd be surprised at what most people can't do with two notes. There are perfect fifths, which most popular metal bands play a lot of, fourths, thirds, among other obscure chords. Mixing them up goes a long way toward playing something 'cool-sounding' and shouldn't be overlooked, whether you're playing bass or lead guitar. From there, chords can be further broken down into scales, which make the composition as a whole, or a song, explicitly. It can be as complex as you'd like to make it, and contain only single notes or 'power chords,' and most people you'll meet can't even play something similar, ability-wise
. Unless your chords contain three or more notes, you're not playing a true chord, which people seem to misinterpret in my experience as anything that's not a perfect fifth. an example of a minor third would be x,4,2,x,x,x. Then you can build scales based on different combinations of notes, making two or three a satisfactory amount for making complex rhyrthm licks that haven't really been done. It's all about what sounds good to you, in essence. My favorite scale for power-chords is comprised of only minor and major thirds, but you can mix in perfect fifths and other power-chords to make it sound unique. It's x1.0xxx x42xxx, x53xxx, 75xxx,, x87xxx.. etc. Whatever makes it sound sad and dismal. There's almost an infinite amount of scales that you can apply power chords(2 notes at the same time) to. To hear examples listen to any death metal that contains two guitars or Avenged Sevenfold, and listen to the harmonies. Those are comprised of mainly those chords, and aren't by any means restricted to multiple guitars playing at the same time, considering most major and minor thirds are played on two strings within a fret or two of one-another.
Last edited by yourMainFriend at Sep 22, 2011,