Hey, dont know muchh about bigger amps, ie heads and cabinets. just lookin for a nice heavy crunch. never had a tube amp before, always wanted to try em out, just need the head...

budget- less than $700-800

genre- mostly metal. pantera, megadeth, really dig the exodus crunch

gear- gibson sg, esp ltd viper, randall rx120d head, carvin legacy 212 cab, digitech metal master.

home/gig- mostly gonna be at home, jammin with my friends.

city- las vegas

ive been lookin around for tube amps, lookin through reviews and what not, but again i dont know much and havent had my hands on many amps personally to know.
any suggestions would be appreciated
Take a look at the Randall Divalo. All tube, 50 watts, can take different tubes, 2 channels.

Or the Randall RT503h, I have heard can get exodus tone and has 3 channels.
Last edited by Grawgos at Sep 21, 2011,
(Obvious Question) Do you have a cab? Because you cannot (like 99% of the time) use a tube head without a speaker cabinet connected.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
(Obvious Question) Do you have a cab? Because you cannot (like 99% of the time) use a tube head without a speaker cabinet connected.

What's the other 1%? I wasn't aware you could ever do that...

TS check around craigslist. You can get great deals there. Anything by Mesa is usually good and Peavey 5150/6505 is great. Even the Peavey Valveking sounds pretty good and you can get them used for under $400
I hate my sig
you can find a crate BV150 way under your budget.....and yes im recommending it because i have it an its amazingg. its a 150w head you can probably find used somewhere $500 or less
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by QuantumMechanix

TS check around craigslist. You can get great deals there. Anything by Mesa is usually good and Peavey 5150/6505 is great. Even the Peavey Valveking sounds pretty good and you can get them used for under $400

+1

I see a:
Peavey XXX
Crate V50
Laney AOR
Bugera 6262
Line 6 Spider Valve
Marshall DSL
Ampeg VL1002
Peavey XXL
B52 AT100
Randall V2
Mesa Rocket 44

..on the Vegas CList
Is one of your friends you jam with a drummer? If so, ignore any suggestions under about 20W, 50W is preferable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by QuantumMechanix

There's a Traynor Head that has a Line Out that lets you operate it in Standby, using the Line Out, without a speaker connected. Handy for silent recording or practicing, or even gigs where you have monitors and don't wanna lug a cab around *shrug*. That's one that I know of, so I'm sure others exist.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
There's a Traynor Head that has a Line Out that lets you operate it in Standby, using the Line Out, without a speaker connected. Handy for silent recording or practicing, or even gigs where you have monitors and don't wanna lug a cab around *shrug*. That's one that I know of, so I'm sure others exist.

even better the crate has a "slave out" which i hear is supposed to emulate the cab or something? or i think it was that it uses the power tube section
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

I see a:
Peavey XXX
Crate V50
Laney AOR
Bugera 6262
Line 6 Spider Valve
Marshall DSL
Ampeg VL1002
Peavey XXL
B52 AT100
Randall V2
Mesa Rocket 44

..on the Vegas CList

I forgot all about Bugera. Definitely check them out. I personally love their tone if you can get one thats not a lemon
I hate my sig
Laney GH50L or VC50 (discontinued though).
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.