Sounds like b minor to me but i havn't got a guitar on me atm

edit: after a second listen. sounds like e minor

edit: after a third listen sounds like e major. Can definately recognise the major 3rd.
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Sep 21, 2011,
When learning theory and how things sound, people generally associate major with sounding happy, and minor with sad. This song is a perfect example of how a major key can sound sad.
the key is E.

The chords roughly are:

E - C#m - A - Bsus4 or B

Sometimes their is a D added in between E and C#m, and thus avoid the D# note on this when improvising.

Also sometimes the A chord is normally 4 beats long, but sometimes it's 2 beats long (half a bar) and the other half of the bar is E/G# which is an E Major chord with a G# in the bass.

I cba too fill it out step by step, cause there are so many typical little pop music conventions added throughout the song.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by mdc
When learning theory and how things sound, people generally associate major with sounding happy, and minor with sad. This song is a perfect example of how a major key can sound sad.

yes i generally mistook it for e minor because i knew it resolved on e and it sounded sad. It wasnt until i recognised the major third interval that i realised it was e major
tried figuring it out on the guitar
heres some(all) of the keys played?

a b c# e f# g#

input that into some scale finder online and it gave me like 15 different scales hmmm

doesnt emajor have 4 sharps? i dont think he played d# at all
It's not about what "he" plays, it's about the tonal center of the song - where it resolves. That is E major.

At some points out-of-key chords are used. For those you employ accidentals.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's not about what "he" plays, it's about the tonal center of the song - where it resolves. That is E major.

At some points out-of-key chords are used. For those you employ accidentals.

Yup Yup

Especially how the D chord is used briefly, is very common, especially in poppy punk rock and pop.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 22, 2011,