Hey UG,
Does anyone know information about Gallien-Krueger bass amp products and how they cope with low tones such as a 5 string bass.
To be specific the model I wish to purchase is the Gallien-Krueger MB112 or MB115.

Any advice would be awesome!!!!
The GK Backline series leaves a lot to be desired. The tone isn't as good as that of their better amps and the quality isn't nearly as good. The other stuff - the Fusion, the RB and the Micro series amplifiers are very good and do just fine across the tonal spectrum.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Wow thanks man,
Now I feel pretty confident with Gallien-Krueger,
I'll have to check em out at a store first.
I have a GK MB-112 it's a good amp, however there are better ones out there.
I honestly am not too happy with it. I might sell it and grab something a bit better.

The main reason I don't like it is the gain/volume has too much distortion so truly clean tones are nearly impossible at higher volumes (12 O'clock position)
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
I honestly am not too happy with it. I might sell it and grab something a bit better.

The main reason I don't like it is the gain/volume has too much distortion so truly clean tones are nearly impossible at higher volumes (12 O'clock position)

Hmm compared to a drummer would putting the volume to "12 O'clock" be loud.
Also do you think the GK MB-115 be an alternative you would buy?
I love GK.

As said, stay away from the Backlines... I like the RB series the most, but they've been around for decades, so they've gotten their kinks worked out. The MB and Fusion sereies are still fairly new, so they have their bugs. From what i've read... each new ideration gets better and better.

If you want the MB combo series... i'd reccomend the MB210 above any of the others. It's a fantastic 2x10 combo, but unlike most of the others, it has the ability to add another 8 ohm cab... so you can be set for almost any gig. The MB212 is decent... between the two you mentiond, i'd certainly pick up the MB115 over the MB112.

Luckily, a lot of bigger chains carry GK stuff, so it should be easy enough to go and try them.

I use both a 400rb and 800rb, and they handle the lows on my active 5 string juuuust fine.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Grimwade
Hmm compared to a drummer would putting the volume to "12 O'clock" be loud.

Not really, not for this amp anyway. Come to think of it my Peavey Vypyr 15 is louder then my 200 watt GK. This just goes to show that wattage does not equal volume.
Quote by Grimwade
Also do you think the GK MB-115 be an alternative you would buy?

In some respects yes, I like that you get separate gain/volume controls, but I can't see the 100 dollar hike in price.

Don't get me wrong with the 112, I may not care much for the sound but the quality is pretty damn high, and these are very light for bass amps.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817

I never had this problem with the MB200 head, which IIRC is same amp that's in the MB112 combo. Started to break up at about 3 o'clock on the gain clock.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The cabinet version of that (which is touted to be the same) goes down to 51hz, so it won't be great at putting out your B string.

You should try it out though. There's no information about the MB112, so I can't tell you about that.

The lack of a master volume knob is pretty odd though.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by consecutive e
I never had this problem with the MB200 head, which IIRC is same amp that's in the MB112 combo. Started to break up at about 3 o'clock on the gain clock.

I have the problem with my 112, maybe my EQ settings?
Quote by FatalGear41

I just bought the MB 212 and the combo sounds GREAT!!! I've gigged it a few times and had a great sound with my 5 string basses and plenty of power, only weighs 37 pounds.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
The MB series are known for developing electrical problems around the 2-3 year mark. Ive played three of them that were approaching this age and they all started developing serious problems, namely, the signal would start breaking up worse than a fuzz pedal when the volume was past 12 o clock. Could be worth noting that all three of those amps were used by people doing heavy duty upright bass gigging

Havent played any of their other stuff.