So i've got a black Les paul studio, and the glossy finish attracts so much dust and mess! It's so annoying
I was wondering if there was some way i could get a matte / Satin Finish?

Any help would be lovely!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Last edited by Rossmillertarn! at Sep 21, 2011,
sure you could. you'd have to sand the previous finish off, and apply a new one. keep in mind, refinishing is a lot of work
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
That's the only way of doing it? I'm sure i read somewhere there was a quite simple way to do it :/ just can't remember how!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

I believe 0000 grade steel wool will dull the finish, seen it used on gloss necks quite a few times
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
yeah? will it leave scuffs or scratches or anything?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

no idea. never actually seen close ups of the finished article, I know I've seen it used to remove the sticky feeling of gloss on necks but I don't know what the finish is like.
I've only ever used it to get marks and scratches out of melamine, but that's not gloss and smooth so *shrug* sorry...
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
ok, thanks anyway!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

yeah you can try steel wool, it turns the finish satin-like. used it for aging one of my guitar, no idea how it looks if you treat the whole finish with it, but might look not that bad. but you said you want it because the high-gloss attracts dust and so on=> youve ever seen a vintage black ltd eclipse? you see every fingertip on it, so the only reason to get a satin finish is the ultra look (definitively the most beautyful finish ive ever seen, no flamed maple comes close IMO) if you made any experience with making the whole finish satin let me know, got a high-gloss black schecter and thinking about makin in satin..
edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzI-fZbvtI

heres a video ive found on youtube. this guy used steel wool only for the neck. not that good quality but you can see the difference between the high gloss and the satin finish
Last edited by derAlchemist at Sep 21, 2011,
Just rub it with gray 3M pads (at your own risk of course). I do this to all my guitar necks. It doesn't leave any major scratch marks or anything as long as you aren't putting body weight on it. Just rub lightly. You'd be doing this to the clear coat though so it might give your guitar a grayish appearance rather than deep black.
Last edited by samhell at Sep 23, 2011,