http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14998726

In particular:

Dr Barry Morgan said people's organs should be donated as a gift to others and not as an "asset of the state."

and

Dr Morgan said: "Organ donation surely ought to be a matter of gift and not of duty.

Does it really matter WHY something good is done, as long as it is done? This, I think, raises some interesting points.

So then Pit, any tips for the welsh government?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I'm with the government on this. Think of all the good we can do with recycled organs.

Save people.
Restore people.
Solve world hunger.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
that law would be like having the checkboxes in installers saying "Yes, please send me promotional emails about blah blah blah" all checked for you by default, and i hate that.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
that law would be like having the checkboxes in installers saying "Yes, please send me promotional emails about blah blah blah" all checked for you by default, and i hate that.

Except it wouldn't be, because it doesn't do anything to piss you off.
Things just happen to you once you're gone.
Organ donation should be an opt-out system, rather than an opt-in, like it is now. There must be millions of people who aren't on the donor list out of pure apathy, rather than any moral objection to it.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
I'm a donor and am surprised more people aren't. I think assumed consent is a good idea, I've been asking why it doesn't exist for ages now.

I unfortunately hear people not donating because 'they don't know who's getting their organ'... seems crazy. If someone was on the street dying you'd do all you could to save them no matter who that person is (if you're not a dick), why not do it when your dead?

Oh and people refusing to donate eyes is just ridiculous.
Last edited by vitchb at Sep 21, 2011,
In my experience, people that are actually against the idea of organ donation are major assholes.
Quote by vitchb
I'm a donor and am surprised more people aren't. I think assumed consent is a good idea, I've been asking why it doesn't exist for ages now.

I unfortunately hear people not donating because 'they don't know who's getting their organ'... seems crazy. If someone was on the street dying you'd do all you could to save them no matter who that person is (if you're not a dick), why not do it when your dead?

I like all my organs
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Random88
Organ donation should be an opt-out system, rather than an opt-in, like it is now. There must be millions of people who aren't on the donor list out of pure apathy, rather than any moral objection to it.

I think this man knows what's up. Some people have some objections that they feel are very legitimate. It doesn't matter that they're wrong.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Yeah, no one's touching my dick

damn straight, bro
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I haven't signed up for it, at least not yet...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by vitchb

Just to add to that, organ donations aren't taken lightly. They hold comitees for each individual case and judge whether it's worth giving an alcoholic another liver. They don't take chances either on the basis that it's very expensive.

+The only thing I decided not to donate was my eye lenses on the count they're really messed up. Everything else can be sold at a butchers for all I care Hopefully I make a good Foie gras.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
It's not like you're using them... I think organ donation should be legally mandatory.
Interesting point here. If someone donates their kidneys when they die, then then next person donates them, and so on, if nothing goes wrong with them, the same set of kidneys could last for hundreds of years.
Well, there are a lot of people who don't do it because they think the doctors will let them die so they can get their organs. I've had more than one friend freak out and tell me thats what would happen to me when they found out im a donor.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
welsh government

OT: I think people should automatically be on the register and have to opt out. There's too many people who would be quite happy to join the donor register but can't be bothered/havn't got time etc. etc. There's also too many people who just simpy haven't given it a moments thought who, if they did stop and think about it, would probably join. If someone really doesn't want to be on the register (and fair enough if that's the case, no one is telling them they have to be) then all's they need do is fill out a form and remove themselves from it. And as for children, it should be the parents choice whether to remove them or not. Though deciding whether it should be 16years or 18 years when you can make the choice yourself may proove difficult.

EDIT:

Quote by vitchb

Yes, it is. However I personally can understand maybe why people might not want to donate eyes. For some reason the thought of someone taking my eyes out of my head makes me cringe.

However, despite this I took my testicles in my hand (mainly to make sure no bugger get those, they are mine and shall stay mine, on that matter I will not budge) and ticked "Everything" (testicles are not included as 'everything') on the donor form.
Last edited by rockdude375 at Sep 21, 2011,
Is it sad that when I read this article, I imagined the government coming and taking organs from me by force?

shEDIT: I didn't realize until I read the thread that they're talking about after you're dead.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Last edited by intheshadowplay at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
So then Pit, any tips for the welsh government?

Yes: submit yourselves to your English overlords NOW.

you can keep your rugby team