Page 1 of 2
... have a high wattage amp head which is only used at home?

I'm looking for my first tube amp and I like the sound and possibilities of the Egnater Renegade and Tourmaster.
Do I need all that power? NO!
Do I like the sound and features? YES!

If I would go for those beasts (next year though), even the combo's would realistically be overkill in power.
I know the Renegade can be toggled between 18w and 65w and the Tourmaster even to 10w if I'm correct which should help to get a good tone at lower volumes. (I hope)

So, who uses heavy amp heads + cabs solely at home?
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
I used to, but it was taking too much room up, so I sold it. Also, I bought an Eleven Rack and used that pretty much 100% of the time for my guitar sounds simply because my Laney was far too big for my room. Sounded lovely though.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i use a volume knob at home.

But what if he wants teh power t00b distortion?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by AcousticMirror

This. Why do people never think about the volume knob?
I hate my sig
Quote by AcousticMirror
?? ??

You can't drive the power tubes hard without turning up your volume...
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

PS: get the Renegade head and matching 212

Another brick demolished from the mental wall to get it.

Dear Santa,

Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by barden1069
You can't drive the power tubes hard without turning up your volume...

Correct. And any amp will be too loud for power-tube-distortion at home. I've got a 2w and it's way too loud cranked.

Therefore, forget about power-amp-overdrive in your bedroom, unless you have ridiculously good sound-proofing or everyone in close proximity is deaf.

There's plenty of big amps that sound great at low volumes, and the Renegade is one of them. Wattage means very little.
people dont get that no one needs to crank their amp for good tube distortion since the 80's. amps made theses days or even in the past decade usually come with a pre and post gain (whether labeled as channel and master volume or w/e) i have a 150w halfstack in my room thats smaller then most bathrooms. i can get well over decent tones and bedroom levels.

on the flipside i crank it whenever i want untill someone walks in and unplugs the damn thing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by AcousticMirror

From the Renegade manual:

There is some confusion about the relationship between watts and volume
(loudness). There is much discussion about how this many dB is twice as
loud as that many and that many dB is double the power and blah blah……
lot’s of techie rambling but no real world explanations. I’ll try. Let’s say you have
a guitar amp with a knob to adjust the power (watts). Now say this amp is 20
watts at its maximum power setting and 1 watt at the lowest knob position. It
would be reasonable to assume that 20 watts should be loud enough to play with
the band and 1 watt would be whisper volume. Anyone who has had the op-
portunity to test this theory has found quite the contrary. 20 watts through a
reasonably efficient speaker is quite loud. 1 watt through the same speaker
is also quite loud. What’s up with that? Have you ever seen the specs for a 12”
speaker? A typical guitar speaker will produce about 95 to 100dB at 1 meter
(about 3.3ft) with 1 watt of input power. Now put 2 or 4 of that same speaker in
a cabinet and the output is even higher. What this is saying is that even with a
mere 1 watt of power, that speaker will put out the volume about equal to a per-
son yelling. Obviously not “TV watching” volume. To obtain that whisper
volume, you might need as little as 1/10 of a watt but…….at that low a volume,
most guitar speakers start to sound terrible.

It was the last part that worried me as an amp noob.
So you need 1/10 of a watt for power tube distortion at home.

So 18 watts doesn't get you any closer then 65 or 1 million.

Most speakers are less sensitive then what egnater says.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

Most speakers are less sensitive then what egnater says.

95-100dB spl seems normal to me. I can only think of very few that are below 95dB (and they're all either very small, weird, or shitty).

TS might want to look into an Eminence Reignmaker. No idea how well they work though and they're terribly expensive.
At home volume levels, no you won't be getting the best out of your tube amp. But if what you do get out of it at those levels makes you happy, and is better than modeling/SS amps give you at their best, then who cares!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The renagade and 212x are what I use at my house. I do get to crank mine but the biggest difference you'll between 18w and 65w setting is headroom on the clean channel.
Quote by TheQuailman

TS might want to look into an Eminence Reignmaker. No idea how well they work though and they're terribly expensive.

Now, if 311ZOSOVHJH (copy & paste ) can confirm that the Renegade doesn't sound shitty at very low volumes, then my worries were baseless.
I will test them first though when I get the chance to get to Köln again.
It does not sound shitty at low volumes - it just doesn't sound its best. Set up one channel on the 6L6 side on the 65w mode with reverb and set the other channel up at 18w on the EL34 tubes dry and switch back and forth. yummy

also, ffs it is electric guitar. EG was born using electricity and magnets to tubes to amplify your tone. That is why we are all here right? Your amp takes your guitar signal and a supply of power and marries them up in the middle and shoots out some killer tone. That is 311's tutorial on amplification
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It does not sound shitty at low volumes - it just doesn't sound its best. Set up one channel on the 6L6 side on the 65w mode with reverb and set the other channel up at 18w on the EL34 tubes dry and switch back and forth. yummy
8<

We designed the attic of our new house to become one big hobby and multimedia room.
It's one big room (80m² with a high ceiling (3,5m) and is well insulated. So space is not an issue.
Our house is directly build next to our neighbour on one side, but we are separated by 3 stone walls of 14cm thick and insulation between any of them (so 2x).
Except for hard direct contact, we don't hear a thing from them and vice versa.
But I have other family members and there will be times when it will have to be turned down to the minimum possible.

And then the Armageddon will be coming soon and looks very promising as well. My wife is holding her breath because she knows I get carried away easy and she also knows my 'to want list' is growing. I hope I can motivate my 5 year old son to start playing soon because then we can nag in stereo (honey - mom - honey - mom -...)

Thanks for your input (the same for the others).
Last edited by xgunterx at Sep 21, 2011,
I use a 100w TUBE amp and a 4x12 cabinet in my bedroom. I can easily get a good sound at a low volume. I don't understand where the "you can't have more than 30w at home" bullshit comes from.
You'll be fine. Especially if you are a good guitar player (neighbors won't mind as much). But seriously, if you were in an apartment with 8 other families all around you like Hollywood Squares then I'd suggest maybe a modeler or a MFX or software
My JCM900 is what I used to use at home. It did occasionally get dragged to small gigs when I couldn't be bothered lugging my whole rig around. It is a Master Volume amp so it sounds fine at low volumes. Sure it sounds better loud but you only have to get to about 2 for it to sound decent (well, as decent as a JCM900 gets) and that's not really that loud.
Now I also have a 5W Fender Champ clone and an 18W Marshall clone that I use when I want to get power tube distortion by turning them up to 10. Even the 18W'er isn't too loud turned up to 10. I don't know what sort of pigeon coups you guys live in where you can't crank a 20W or so amp up to 10. If your neighbours are too close to get away with doing that move, you are living in the wrong type of residence.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I use a 100w TUBE amp and a 4x12 cabinet in my bedroom. I can easily get a good sound at a low volume. I don't understand where the "you can't have more than 30w at home" bullshit comes from.

i think it comes from noobs who read that you need to crank up a tube amp to get power tube distortion, assume power tube distortion means "good tone" for some reason, and then use it as an excuse to not buy a tube combo instead of a 100 watt marshall MG full stack...

i have some 100 watt solid state amps that i only use at home. if i was in a new wave band i'd definitely be gigging them though
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
No problems with my TriAmp..

at least not with that
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I use my 2:90 in my music room, which is just a spare bedroom in my house. I can get a perfectly acceptable tone at remarkably low volume.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Power tube distortion can be good for lots of different classic rock songs and especially sludge/doom/stoner/metal that I like.

most metal needs to be tighter than that and power tubes/OT add sag to your tone. i think. ask one of the experts here.

just sayin'
Quote by Blompcube
i think it comes from noobs who read that you need to crank up a tube amp to get power tube distortion, assume power tube distortion means "good tone" for some reason, and then use it as an excuse to not buy a tube combo instead of a 100 watt marshall MG full stack...

i have some 100 watt solid state amps that i only use at home. if i was in a new wave band i'd definitely be gigging them though

this +1 million

even watt is too loud if you want power tube distortion.

although....i have to say that there really is no definition of what bedroom volume means...

I always thought it was how loud can you rock out in your room before your neighbors complain...

but some people think it means how loud can you play before you wake the box full of babies that is on top of the amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by xgunterx
From the Renegade manual:

It was the last part that worried me as an amp noob.

I dont think youll play the amp at whisper volume. At that kind of volume the strings will be louder than the amp

Quote by Cathbard
My JCM900 is what I used to use at home. It did occasionally get dragged to small gigs when I couldn't be bothered lugging my whole rig around. It is a Master Volume amp so it sounds fine at low volumes. Sure it sounds better loud but you only have to get to about 2 for it to sound decent (well, as decent as a JCM900 gets) and that's not really that loud.
Now I also have a 5W Fender Champ clone and an 18W Marshall clone that I use when I want to get power tube distortion by turning them up to 10. Even the 18W'er isn't too loud turned up to 10. I don't know what sort of pigeon coups you guys live in where you can't crank a 20W or so amp up to 10. If your neighbours are too close to get away with doing that move, you are living in the wrong type of residence.

You must be deaf from all the gigging. I had an MG at one point of time, 15W, SS.
Cranking it past 6 on the master would result in neighbours complaining.
Though I dunno if it was for volume or shit tone
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I dont think youll play the amp at whisper volume. At that kind of volume the strings will be louder than the amp

You must be deaf from all the gigging. I had an MG at one point of time, 15W, SS.

They weren't complaining about how loud it was, they were complaining at how horrible it sounded.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5

Or I'm not a pussy.
You need volume to get controllable feedback, even 18W isn't really enough.
The point I was making was about the neighbours, not how loud it sounds to you. I learned long ago not to live in an apartment, you need a house with a yard to separate you from the neighbors if you play electric guitar. Otherwise you pretty much condemn yourself to playing through headphones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if you know someone that works in an industrial area, most employees will have the option of using earplugs. my dad get them by the bucket load in little disposable pairs. they work great so just go around your street dropping a few in each mailbox
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I have a 130 watt 212 combo I use in my apartment. Mind you my neighbors cannot call the cops on me (if they do I report them for being drug dealers and they know I will ). So it's all good if you have a place to play it.
Quote by Cathbard
Or I'm not a pussy.
You need volume to get controllable feedback, even 18W isn't really enough.
The point I was making was about the neighbours, not how loud it sounds to you. I learned long ago not to live in an apartment, you need a house with a yard to separate you from the neighbors if you play electric guitar. Otherwise you pretty much condemn yourself to playing through headphones.

A house with a yard? Then 18W is probably ok on 10, since the walls of the house will contain the sound (mostly)......
Itll still be bloody loud
They aren't that loud. I run mine on 10 always.
Kids these days.

Now get off my lawn!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My hearing still hasnt died that said, I noticed my cell was much quieter after attending a local gig last sunday

Lol that reminds me, during the gig, there was an earthquake. Epicenter was about a couple hundred miles from the city, 6.8 on the Richter scale. I thought it was just the drummers blast beats when the chips packets started shaking
What you really need is....

Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"

Didn't mean to start a huge discussion about poweramp distortion. I just assumed from the OP that he wanted it. Of course you can still get good tones at relatively low volumes.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Page 1 of 2