I'm looking for some fast alternate picking patterns other than the usual up-down left-right.

Anyone?
Up, Down, Left and Right are the only ways you can go... >.>; Try playing Into the guitar?
Make them up?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Down-Down-Down-Down-Down-Up-Down-Up-Up-Up repeat?

Changing a picking pattern isn't going to make you're playing any better. If a different pattern makes a riff easier then go for it, but writing to accommodate a certain picking pattern is just unnecessary
Last edited by 37 Narwhals at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by 37 Narwhals
Changing a picking pattern isn't going to make you're playing any better. If a different pattern makes a riff easier then go for it, but writing to accommodate a certain picking pattern is just unnecessary

I disagree. Learning how to economy pick changed my playing more than anything really. That and I'm beginning to learn Hybrid Picking and THAT'S opening up a bunch of possibilities that I couldn't do before (or were hard) and didn't think about, let alone sweep picking and tapping.

TS, like I said... there's tapping, sweeping, hybrid picking, economy picking, string skipping, basic arpeggios (major and minor triads as well as 7ths - extensions if you're into that sort of thing ). The possibilities are endless. Just get creative!

Quote by ArtemR
alternative picking is up down up down man

I think he means alternate as in the dictionary definition.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by JMKAM
Up, Down, Left and Right are the only ways you can go... >.>; Try playing Into the guitar?

rofl
you made my day

but i think he meant playing a scale up and down not the picking style^^
Try playing stuff like this

17 14 16 
               17 14 16
                               16 13 14
                                                16 13 14

Pretty unconventional pattern and it will feel really wird when you first play it. Start off really really slow and use a metronome. Play them as triplets.

You can create ANY pattern you want though. This is just as nice little run in e major
I'm looking for some fast alternate picking patterns other than the usual up-down left-right.

Sorry, what on earth do you mean?

Also -
fast alternate picking patterns = alternate picking pattern, fast

Figure out something new, build up speed.
Quote by Freepower

Figure out something new, build up speed.

this, all guitar manuals, instructional manuals, scale books, chord books, theory books and anything guitar related should have this on the cover.
Quote by Cavalcade
Do I have to be the one to do this? Fine...
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right A B.
Are you happy now?

shredzorz mode enabled, 32nd notes at 400 bpm.... GO!!!!!
Experiment with rhythmic subdivisions on a single note, placing the accent on the downbeat. In contrast, experiment with accented clave rhythms, these are common ideas used in jazz, funk and latin styles.

Also, check out Bireli Lagrene for interval skips to the extreme, and pedal tone string crossing.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 21, 2011,
find a song with a riff you like then learn it. figure out what scale it is in and learn that scale. you will then know 2 very important things, the scale that makes the sound, and how it needs to be played to make that sound. then u can make up your own all over the neck.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Experiment with contrapuntal motion on non-adjacent strings, like the G and top E string, alternate picking only.

Then attempt two string jumps like A to B string. That'll hone your technique and accuracy.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 22, 2011,