Hey guys.

I've been playing for about a year and a half now. I'm having a problem with:

(1) relaxing my picking hand. When I first started my picking hand never gave me problems; however, now that my guitar teacher wants me to speed things up i lose my pick often(hitchhiker thumb sucks hahaha) and the wrist tightens up.

(2) syncing my hands together esp when i warm up with the chromatic scale(faster pace)

Any suggestions? exercises? etc I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

btw just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to become "good"?
Quote by edi7
Hey guys.

I've been playing for about a year and a half now. I'm having a problem with:

(1) relaxing my picking hand. When I first started my picking hand never gave me problems; however, now that my guitar teacher wants me to speed things up i lose my pick often(hitchhiker thumb sucks hahaha) and the wrist tightens up.

(2) syncing my hands together esp when i warm up with the chromatic scale(faster pace)

Any suggestions? exercises? etc I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

If you are trying to do it at a faster pace and having trouble, you need to slow it down. Practice slow until you have it down perfect then, and only then, try to speed it up. Use a metronome to build fluent playing, and to increase speed at a steady pace. As for the last question, theres no set amount of time everyone learns differently. Even people who have been playing for a lifetime are still learning.
Basically, 1) is pretty much practice and paying attention.

2) a good way to do this is to play very slowly all over the fretboard, on every string, making sure your pick strikes the string at the same time your finger frets the note.

... that depends massively on your definition of good. In my experience it's anywhere between a year and never.
to relax your picking hand, i find thicker picks help you relax
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Play slow and comfortable. If you push too hard, you just experience problems and potential injury. I would recommend practicing at a comfy speed, then warming DOWN by playing a bit faster, as this is when it's most likely to be effective. Don't push it too hard, though.
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by Freepower
Basically, 1) is pretty much practice and paying attention.

2) a good way to do this is to play very slowly all over the fretboard, on every string, making sure your pick strikes the string at the same time your finger frets the note.

... that depends massively on your definition of good. In my experience it's anywhere between a year and never.

Hahaha "a year and never"

Look up freepowers videos on YouTube. He is a great help

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
First of all try to practice slowly until you can do a thing right.

Everything build up from there.

You can read the first to chapters in my ebook to solve those 2 problems once and for all .

You probably have the same memory muscle issues i had when i was starting out.

Don't worry if you practice slow (as slow as you can do things perfectly) you will see that things will start to get better, much better.

The main problem with most of the guys that try to start out is that they want to get as fast as they can in the least amount of time.

Guitar playing is a process and getting fast requires discipline and patience.

I hope i helped you and i wish you the best of practice with your playing

Paul