43 35%
Yes, with private funding
56 46%
No, without any effort by the government or the public
23 19%
Voters: 122.
Page 1 of 3
http://news.yahoo.com/americans-freed-prison-leave-iran-144936214.html

To summarize, a couple of American travelers overstepped the Iraq/Iran boundary and were sentenced to jail by the Iranian government. The US government had to spend 1 million for their release. It's not clear whether this funding is from taxpayer's money.

What are your sentiments and attitude toward incidents like this? Personally, I think the travelers are goddamn idiots. I don't think taxpayer money should be used to pay for their stupidity.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 21, 2011,
It's definitely their fault and was absolutely stupid of them, but given Iran's air of hostility towards the US, it'd probably be best to get them out first and worry about it later.
Iran is such a place where a traveller from abroad can either be greeted with an enormous amont of friendliness and hospitality, or be sentenced to jail/decapitation. You can't really tell on beforehand either. Things like getting sentenced to jail is pretty rare. They made a mistake and I think it was a good choice helping them.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by blue_strat
If it was you, I think you'd support the spending.

If it was me, I'd never go hiking on the Iraq/Iranian border in the first place.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think they should be bailed out, even though they were really stupid.
I think it's the right thing to do. Yes, they're idiots, but does that mean they should be left to rot? I wouldn't think so.
Also, inevitable penis poll is inevitable.

You can't comprehend how brutal an iranian prison can be , especially for an american. The punishment doesn't fit the crime so its the right thing to get them out.
Yes, there are way worse uses of taxpayer money than getting our own citizens out of phony espionage charges.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Gerard_xD
I think it's the right thing to do. Yes, they're idiots, but does that mean they should be left to rot? I wouldn't think so.

Why not? We can't cover every single idiotic action there is. There isn't any US law prohibiting travel. There are plenty of domestic idiocy that gets no safety. There are even plenty of legitimate issues that genuinely NEED funding, yet don't get any, such as the 9/11 responders medical fund. But two retards who were clearly asking for it get one mil? How is that fair?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's the right thing to do - They would not have had a good time in those prisons, and who knows how long they would be there for.

It was kind of stupid, but countries borders aren't marked with a big, fat red line are they?
They probably should have planned their route better but in that sort of landscape I can see how it is pretty easy to stray a bit.
Quote by Xiaoxi
If it was me, I'd never go hiking on the Iraq/Iranian border in the first place.

It's a hypothetical, but your answer was highly pathetical
Quote by Xiaoxi
Why not? We can't cover every single idiotic action there is. There isn't any US law prohibiting travel. There are plenty of domestic idiocy that gets no safety. There are even plenty of legitimate issues that genuinely NEED funding, yet don't get any, such as the 9/11 responders medical fund. But two retards who were clearly asking for it get one mil? How is that fair?

If you want to talk about uncessary spending, there are far better things to pick on than helping two guys who make a mistake. Like muffins.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
How much do we spend on subsidies to oil companies or large-scale agribusiness? Or tax breaks for the wealthy. Or war. $1 mil is nothing.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
This is the most judgmental thread ever. It's not like these guys were like "yeah! let's get arrested!" foreigners, especially Americans, are generally really naive when it comes to being in other countries.

I'd like to see you bitch about it if the noose was around your neck.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
They're retarded, but I think it IS our responsibility to bail them out, at least this once.

On a separate note, how is it that two American hikers can venture into Iran and get instantly jailed, yet several million Mexicans can venture into the U.S. and get jobs?
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yes, there are way worse uses of taxpayer money than getting our own citizens out of phony espionage charges.

Or we paid to get our spies back. Either way I have no issue with it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Xiaoxi

The US's relationship with Iran isn't the guys' fault, and the US government's first priority is to look after its citizens.

If the politics allow action to help, they have a duty to. It's sad that politics have to decide it, but that's the way the system works.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Just because they made a small mistake while hiking they doesn't mean they should be locked up for god knows how long. It's pretty easy to accidentally cross another country's border, especially when it's someplace you don't know well. Although, I think when they're home they should be made to do some community service or something similar.
Yes they were incompetent in getting stuck there in the first place, but it's hardly the most ridiculous thing the US government has spent money on.

Quote by benonbass1

It was kind of stupid, but countries borders aren't marked with a big, fat red line are they?
They probably should have planned their route better but in that sort of landscape I can see how it is pretty easy to stray a bit.

Of course not, but what are the odds that if you are hiking very close to Iran, that you might actually be in Iranian territory? It's just common sense to stay away from a politically hostile region like that in the first place. And it's not like there aren't well-known precedents that should have slapped some sense into "adventurous" travelers before.

And I'm not saying that this is the WORST use of tax money ever. I'm just judging it as an isolated case.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Who the **** goes hiking near Iran and Iraq?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by z4twenny
Everytime i see you post xiaoxi i wish you only the worst in life.

Ok. Fuck you too, cunt.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Of course not, but what are the odds that if you are hiking very close to Iran, that you might actually be in Iranian territory? It's just common sense to stay away from a politically hostile region like that in the first place. And it's not like there aren't well-known precedents that should have slapped some sense into "adventurous" travelers before.

And I'm not saying that this is the WORST use of tax money ever. I'm just judging it as an isolated case.

What are the odds of 3 Americans hiking in a country that is involved in a civil war with one side being aided by Iran and these people being on that particular boarder?
I saw all kinds of American "hikers" in Central America in the 80s. Didn't take much horsepower to figure out who they were working for.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Firenze

I'd like to see you bitch about it if the noose was around your neck.

Honestly, in this predicament, I deserve a death sentence. No one else should be burdened with my suicidal stunt.

Quote by Jackal58
What are the odds of 3 Americans hiking in a country that is involved in a civil war with one side being aided by Iran and these people being on that particular boarder?

So you're suggesting that they really are spies?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah sure, get them out, I assume they're important if the government used 1 million to get them out.
hue
I'm cool with spending one million dollars for something worthwhile.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
First, they were hiking in Iraqi Kurdistan, which is an autonomous region of Iraq that is almost completely unaffected by the current war in the rest of Iraq. In fact, parts of Iraqi Kurdistan are tourist destinations. It's not like they were taking a stroll through Fallujah.

Second, it's not as though the hikers went to the Middle East for shits and grins; all three of them lived and worked in the region prior to their hiking trip. It was a vacation that local residents had recommended as safe and enjoyable.

Third, Iran is fucking crazy. We all know this. It's quite likely that the hikers never actually crossed the border at all.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Xiaoxi
Honestly, in this predicament, I deserve a death sentence. No one else should be burdened with my suicidal stunt.

I have no idea really. I'm suggesting it's a possibility.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Xiaoxi

Honestly? Bullshit.
I don't think anyone has enough empathy to truly know what they would want in that situation, but wanting to have your life saved is certainly a natural reaction.
Also I don;t see how their actions were in anyway suicidal - perhaps misguided, but they aren't asking to be hung.

I think he is suggesting they could be spies, which seems plausible.
Last edited by benonbass1 at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by Das_Skittles

Third, Iran is fucking crazy. We all know this. It's quite likely that the hikers never actually crossed the border at all.

I'm not suggesting that they have unequivocally crossed the border. In fact, most likely they didn't (I don't think anyone is THAT stupid). You're absolutely right in that Iranian border patrols probably went out of their way and overstepped their boundary. But even so, they should have considered the risks given the very well-known nature of this kind of thing.

Quote by benonbass1
Honestly? Bullshit.
I don't think anyone has enough empathy to truly know what they would want in that situation, but wanting to have your life saved is certainly a natural reaction.

Every day, there are people who risk their lives to do something and they don't ask to be saved, only hope for the best. If for whatever reason I was doing that, I would never expect to be saved. And given how callous this is, I wouldn't want to.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by z4twenny
And now no one needs to wonder why

Well let's see. I just voiced an opinion, and you tell me you wish me the worst. How is that warranted? I don't even know who the hell you are. But if I give a negative reaction, it's suddenly justified?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm not suggesting that they have unequivocally crossed the border. In fact, most likely they didn't (I don't think anyone is THAT stupid). You're absolutely right in that Iranian border patrols probably went out of their way and overstepped their boundary. But even so, they should have considered the risks given the very well-known nature of this kind of thing.

The thing is, it's not well known. Like someone posted earlier, sometimes Iran is extremely welcoming and gracious to Americans. In any case, it's documented that the region they were vacationing in is usually welcoming and gracious. It's reasonable to assume there's some risk, but I don't think anyone expected that three people on a hike in a somewhat tourist-y area would be arrested by Iranian border patrol.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
We spend billions each year paying for people's healthcare/saving lives, why not theirs as well?
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
I find this an almost perfect excuse to use taxpayer's money.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I think it is quite funny how everyone is always saying: "not with my tax money". They use it as an argument but the numbers in the problems are usually far greater than the amount of tax these people pay. So they should just... shut up.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 3