I'm new in this forum, so bear with my unfamiliarity with the forum if it becomes a nuisance.

I'm currently practicing on a soundking ak15g but the tone is horrid and all I can do with it is push it into overdrive and equalize because the built-in "overdrive" is pretty bad.
I'm looking for a better sounding practice amp to which I could plug pedals to, since I want to start practicing using pedals.
Since I was a ****ing slacker I'm on a basic-intermedium level with some knowledge on advanced techniques so I'm not certain if a tube amplifier would be too much.

I have a bucket of 200 to 300 $ for it but I don't have a lot of options because, Peru.

So I'm between the Vox ac15vr, the Vox pathfinder 15r and the Fender Frontman 25r, what is the best among these for a practimce amp?

Finally, how close a solid state amplifier can sound to a tube amplifier by using a tube pre-amplifier?
dont waste money in pedals , buy a decent AMP , go for a peavey vypyr 30 watts, its very versatile amp and fun to play with . There are a lot of features and different settings and presets you can save on the amp.

Check that one out.
But I want to "waste" money on pedals. wat do?
I'm looking for something vintage sounding.
What do you mean by "I'm not certain if a tube amplifier would be too much"? Too much in what way? Too much quality of tone or too expensive? If the former, how is that possible?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Will you be willing to throw a $150 delay, $100 chorus & $150 wah on a $200 amp? Going with individual pedals will give you better quality and flexibility, but aren't the cheapest. You could get the Vypyr 30 + sanpera footswitch, have a decent tone & decent effects and only pay a little over $300.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'd go for the Vox's or the Vypyr's.

The Frontman is kinda ish.

I got my Vypyr 60 for $315 USD. That is what I recommend. Effects sound decent.

FYI - most amps with a 12AX7 tube in the preamp is a bit of gimmick. <flameshield>
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
FYI - most amps with a 12AX7 tube in the preamp is a bit of gimmick. <flameshield>

A Fender Champ only has one 12AX7 in the preamp.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
To say the truth, I've heard and played Peavey before and I was indifferent to it's sound, like it would only work on metal. I really don't like it and nobody in Peru have the Vypyr series.
Quote by walruswalrus
To say the truth, I've heard and played Peavey before and I was indifferent to it's sound, like it would only work on metal. I really don't like it and nobody in Peru have the Vypyr series.

Might want to check out this vid on youtube (vypyr 60 tube) to see what it can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AH-SpQ1iHE

Too bad you don't have a local dealer.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
A lot of people like the Pathfinder and say that if you run it into an ext cab it really sounds good. If you are buying pedals I think that's the best option of the 3.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

Answer those questions ^ and you'll get better responses.

I only missed what genres, home or gig and new or used.
I may use it for practicing along with a drummer.
I can get a good price around here so it doesn't matters if it's new or used, just if it's a good amp; and as for what genres, is kind of a mishmash of things I listen to: Dick Dale, Korn, 6gig, the Boo Radleys, Faith no More, Squeeze, that sort of things.
Quote by Cathbard
A Fender Champ only has one 12AX7 in the preamp.

You know what he meant

Just to play along, the vox ac4s, (i think) the blackstar ht-1 have 1 12AX7.......just adding on.

OT: If you're so inclined to blow money on pedals why not just get a small tube amp like all of ^^^^^^those (fender champ is great for a small budget) and buy all the pedals you want.

If you're going to get an SS, most of them will have effects and everything you need, well maybe except a wah and a looper if you wish.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I saw some reviews on this site on the fender frontman 25r that said it was a fairly good practice amplifier.
If I were to put a tube preamp pedal like the EHX Tube EQ or EHX LPB 2ube on it, how close the sound could get to that of a tube amp?
Don't waste your time with a tube preamp. There are tube distortion pedals that sound good. But there are also SS distortion pedals that sound good. Buy a pedal because of the sound. The use of a tube is not the discriminator.
Don't waste your time with a tube preamp. There are tube distortion pedals that sound good. But there are also SS distortion pedals that sound good. Buy a pedal because of the sound. The use of a tube is not the discriminator.

Thanks, as I suspected tubes are used as a gimmick on a lot of equipment.
I'm thinking of the Fender Frontman since in god damned Peru no one sells the lower lines of Vox, but there's a fairly good amount of brands of pedals so if the clean tone is good enough that may do it for me.
I tell ya... if I was in a country where guitar gear was expensive, I would consider a regular audio power amp and a guitar cab. Even just audio speakers if you get a multifx. That's assuming standard audio gear is cheap. Then save your money and maybe one day you'll find a great deal on a tube amp used or new.

I know that advice will freak a lot of people out, but I have a stereo power amp that I use with a miced amp (and other stuff). But also can run a multifx straight into. In the past I hooked it up to a 2x12 cab and it sounded pretty good. Of course that's only good for the studio. If you need to take it with, then a guitar amp is necessary.
The only cabinets I've seen here are 100w and up and way more expensive than the Vox AC30 that I actually want.