Is this absolutely insane? I've been thinking of doing it but I'm afraid it might kill my strings...
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Just make sure it's fairly blunt.

I used a Quarter as a pick on bass for years, and never had a problem with broken strings.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I have a metal pick, and it sounds horrible unless you're really precise about the angle your playing all the time. It's not really worth it IMO.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
metal picks are tough to play with and generally don't sound that good. It's not worth it.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Umm didn't the bassist from Tool use something along the lines of this? If not my apologies.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Idk how fast you could go with this, but they do sell metal thumb picks for guitarists, it's wrab around so you'd keep it in the same position easier. I just don't know how fast you could play for long without getting sore from pushing down so hard.
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Umm didn't the bassist from Tool use something along the lines of this?

Justin Chancellor? Nope.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
I tried steel picks once. All it accomplished was a horrible scratchy tone, and grey dust that got everywhere. Not worth the aggro - get some good ol' dunlop tortexes.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Just get a big ol plastic pick that's really thick. I think V-picks makes some of the best bass picks you can get. I use a 2.75 Onyx for bass.
I sometimes use my metal finger and thumb Banjo picks on my Basses, but it's not the same as using a normal pick. I have tried coins but they're very scratchy sounding. I use Dunlop 3mm Big Stubbies and I'm thinking that a metal pick shaped like a Big Stubby would be much better. And Big Stubbies are expensive and wear out quickly, a metal one wouldn't. I know you can buy metal picks made out of Dollar coins but they're expensive.

I just need to find a piece of metal suitable to try to make one my self. A coin would be ideal if only I could find one thick enough.
I tried one once. The scratchy sound was more prominent than the note itself
Professional lurker since 2009.
Yea, here in texas they sell lots of those billy gibbon peso picks are $50+ a pop. find someone maybe to grind you a few custom picks/
I've just ground one out of a two pence piece. The shape is a bit rubbish, there's not a lot of material there to work with, but the tip, the part that hits the strings, is good. It's tapered in such a way that it doesn't scratch the strings. It feels good and has a very defined attack, it feels really easy to use. Even the puny (and very, very old) strings on my 6 string Guitar coped well with it.
I'm going to have another go but I need to find a better blank. I'm thinking aluminium would be good.
Quote by Felkara
I tried steel picks once. All it accomplished was a horrible scratchy tone, and grey dust that got everywhere. Not worth the aggro - get some good ol' dunlop tortexes.

+1. tortexes are the way to go! I use the green .8something for bass, and it works just fine. plenty of attack without too much pick noise
Orange Tortex is better to my ears and hands
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I've had a few goes in the last couple of days, the best one, so far, was fashioned from a 2" steel washer. It feels really good, isn't scratchy at all, and the hole is in a position where it makes holding the pick easier with no slippage. Still want to try an Aluminium one, just looking for a suitable piece. I might end up melting down some tubing I've got and try casting one.

I'd like to have a go at a hardwood one too.

EDIT: I've just tried the steel pick on my Bass fitted with flatwound strings and it doesn't feel so good on those.
Last edited by KingBollock at Sep 25, 2011,