Hey. I have a Montana Metro Tuner -IMT202 . I know there are 4/4 and 4/2 time singnatures or whatever the hell theyre called - but i am clueless to how about it comes into use in the metronome. I mean - should i input 120bpm and 4 beats to have a 4/4? Is the 4/4 even related to what ive mentioned before?
the first question we need answered is this :

do you know what 4/4 is, that is do you know what the numbers refer to?
@damage_inc07: wow dude, way to be helpful lol

@OP: When you talk about a time signature (e.g. 4/4, 3/4, etc.) this is describing the way beats are distributed in a bar of music. If you want to understand what this means I suggest you look up some very basic music theory. This is a pretty good place to start: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/

For the purposes of your metronome: 120bpm describes the speed of the clicks. So quite literally you will have 120 clicks per minute. Also, metronomes usually start counting each bar with a different sounding click. If you set it to 4 beats, it will give you 4 clicks per bar (i.e. one loud click and 3 quieter ones). If you set it to 3 beats, it will give you 3 clicks per bar (i.e. one loud and 2 quiet ones) etc. Regardless though, there will still be a TOTAL of 120 clicks per minute.

The best way to understand this is to play around with the metronome and change the settings and see what happens.
Quote by Standarduser
Oh ok.

And is there any connection between the tempo(bpm) and the time signature?

They go hand in hand.

You should understand this first though.
Quote by z4twenny
the first question we need answered is this :

do you know what 4/4 is, that is do you know what the numbers refer to?