new guitar time is fast approaching So hears the deal, looking for a new guitar for metal that copes well with drop D, don't want a floyd rose or any other type of trem!! No strat or super strats!! preferably either les paul/single cut or explorer body shape, open to suggestions though no more than £400 please!

thanks for the help.
Forever shouting 'IM THE DEVIL I CAN DO WHAT I WANT' at inappropriate times.

Most any guitar will do Drop D easily, just shove a set of 10's on and you'll be fine. I'd look at the Ibanez ART series and the ESP LTD Eclipse series.

Saying that though you're Epi should be able to play metal with not much problem. What Amp are you playing through?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
yeah the epi is not too bad but doesn't hold tuning too well, my main amp is a vox vt but i have a blackheart half stack for gigs and stuff

I was going to suggest the LTD EC or Ibby ART so props to ChemicalFire
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
If it doesn't hold tuning well: ask yourself some questions before buying a new guitar (if you don't need it).

- Are the strings old? (Or: did you stretch the strings? If not do so on a new set)
- Maybe you want a heavier gauge and/or get your guitar set-up for your preferred tuning?
- Do you use multiple tunings on the same guitar and do you switch a lot? (This should improve the stretched-ness of your strings, but it is not that good for stability, I reckon)
- Is it more affordable or desirable to just buy some better tuners and/or bridge-pieces?

If all of these are 'No.', then consider buying a new guitar
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
They are all big fat No's saddly as I really like my epi!

Adbot. *reported

Edit: Arz uses a fat neck akin to the epi lp, so it should feel decent, downside: made in china. I bought an arz800 for my buddy at his wedding and the finish quality is absolute shit. But it plays pretty well, amazing upper fret access for a les paul. Also the emg 60 is alot better for leads then the 85 imo.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
Just lock your bridge on your guitar and it will be fine.

And set up intonation.

Well until you want to fool around with different tunings, then the floating trem becomes a royal PITA.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs