I'm looking at buying an amp sometime real soon, within the next week or so. I have been looking at a Jet City JCA50H for awhile and that's what I'll probably end up getting. Well, eBay browsing made me realize I could afford a Mesa!

I'm looking for a 2+ channel tube amp that has good cleans at stage volume and still has some balls in the distortion. I know the JCA50H can cover that ground well, but what about the Mesa Studio 22+, 50cal, DC-3/5, or the F-50? Obviously buying used isn't an issue

Budget: $500 or so
Genre: Bit of everything, mostly heavy styles and classic rock. Still need to have a good clean channel
Gear: Check sig.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The DC-5 and F-50 would do what you want but the Jet City can keep up with them just as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
In my opinion, the Mesa Studio .22+ is a heavy rock amp, the JCA50H is a hard rock amp. The Jet City is a harder, tighter, crunchier sound, the Mesa is thicker and fuller, but kind of soft.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
I love my F-50. I keep the Contour boost on all the time on the OD channel though. Makes for some heavy drive.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
What's the DC-5 all about? It and the .50 cal are the ones I'm not too familiar with..

I know the 22+ has the clean channel from the MkIIC (which is pretty awesome) but I can't find any good clips of the crunch channel. Thoughts on it?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
a tremoverb is the cheapest used mesa I would even consider.

maybe an older mark.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Tremoverb kind of has nothing to do with Mesa. You can't really associate the Rectos with normal Mesa amps. The design is totally different, and unsurprisingly, so's the tone.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
Tremoverb kind of has nothing to do with Mesa. You can't really associate the Rectos with normal Mesa amps. The design is totally different, and unsurprisingly, so's the tone.

not sure if srs...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I seriously laughed out loud at AeolianSevenths comment and Acousticmirror's response.

Anyway....

I think all those amps would do what you want gainwise, you just need to decide if you actually like the tone. Try and play some of them or listen to clips or whatever. Also check out the mesa mark III. i had one a while back and it was great for clean stuff, classic rock, and some heavier rock stuff. I'm sure with a boost it could do more modern types of metal, but I didn't have a tubescreamer back then.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I actually was totally serious. Play any Rectifier, then play a Mark III, or a .22+, or a DC5, or a Lone Star. It sticks out like Stephen Colbert at a senate hearing.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
I actually was totally serious. Play any Rectifier, then play a Mark III, or a .22+, or a DC5, or a Lone Star. It sticks out like Stephen Colbert at a senate hearing.

So what are you saying? The flagship Mark amps are not Mesa enough? Or that Mesa is not responsible for some of the signature heavy rock and metal tones?

Dude, what have you been smoking?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
So what are you saying? The flagship Mark amps are not Mesa enough? Or that Mesa is not responsible for some of the signature heavy rock and metal tones?

Dude, what have you been smoking?

Um...the first part of that is the opposite of what I was saying. I'm saying that if somebody says "Mesa," you think "Mark." You think smooth, thick, mid-heavy overdrive. You don't think chugging scooped bass roar.

Let's see if I can say this more clearly. If you talk about Mesa tone, or Marshall tone, or Vox tone, you're talking about a specific sound. But if "Mesa tone" includes both the smooth, warm overdriven sound of Mark amps and the scooped, thumping Rectifier sound, then you're no longer talking about any one tone. If somebody likes Rectifiers, that doesn't mean they'll like Marks, and vice versa, so why group them together?

Uh... I think Rectifier tone is way more common/recognizable/popular than Mark tone. Not that there even is a "Mark tone" since all of the Marks are different.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Uh... I think Rectifier tone is way more common/recognizable/popular than Mark tone. Not that there even is a "Mark tone" since all of the Marks are different.

Eh. Could be. When a company's made thirty amps with one tone and ten with another, I find myself associating the company with the thirty.

And true, all the Mark amps are different, but they're close enough that they still sound like Marks. The JTM45, 1987, 1959 and JCM800 all sound very different, but they're all still Marshalls. Same with Fenders or Voxes.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
Eh. Could be. When a company's made thirty amps with one tone and ten with another, I find myself associating the company with the thirty.

And true, all the Mark amps are different, but they're close enough that they still sound like Marks. The JTM45, 1987, 1959 and JCM800 all sound very different, but they're all still Marshalls. Same with Fenders or Voxes.

So?? that's why they're called Mark right?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
In my opinion, the Mesa Studio .22+ is a heavy rock amp, the JCA50H is a hard rock amp. The Jet City is a harder, tighter, crunchier sound, the Mesa is thicker and fuller, but kind of soft.

Good thinking..
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by Vendetta V
So?? that's why they're called Mark right?

Yes, exactly.

Quote by DimeOwnsYou
Marks are pretty good but you should save up and get a Rectifier. I love mine \m/

The one that doesn't work because you're running it cab-less?