So I'm going to be getting a 7 from Rondo music in the near future, and I've got 2 options:
Agile Interceptor 727 MN
Agile Interceptor 727 RN
Now, the obvious differences are that one has a maple fretboard and the other has a rosewood one, but the cheaper one has a no-name LFR whereas the more expensive one has an FR Special 7.

My question is, is the FR Special worth paying the extra $50 on, or is the generic LFR stable and fairly durable?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Don't **** around with cheap Floyd's. $50 isn't very much money in the long run, i spent more than that upgrading my shipping to get my Agile. Get the special 7
Both are going to be bad, the Special has a soft plate and zinc parts. Not worth the extra $50 since you'll need to replace it either way.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
The agile 7 string lfr really isn't bad at all. I've played several and all of them held tuning very well. I'm sure an OFR would be better, but for the price they aren't bad.
Last edited by a_hub10 at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by Metalfan41
Both are going to be bad, the Special has a soft plate and zinc parts. Not worth the extra $50 since you'll need to replace it either way.

The FR special has a hardened steel plate. I know it has zinc parts but those can be replaced fairly cheaply.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Special does not have a hardened plate. They even avoid saying it has a steel plate at all on their website. The O2000 (1000 series) has a hardened steel base and zinc parts, but you can't buy them aftermarket or in 7-string.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
The Special does not have a hardened plate. They even avoid saying it has a steel plate at all on their website. The O2000 (1000 series) has a hardened steel base and zinc parts, but you can't buy them aftermarket or in 7-string.

http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Special-Floyd_Rose_Special_-_Chrome.html

*cough*

I'm not asking if the FR Special is good - I'm asking about the Agile LFR. OK? OK.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
They're probably made in the same factory so I wouldn't worry if you're ok with the Special.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by oneblackened
I'm not asking if the FR Special is good - I'm asking about the Agile LFR. OK? OK.

He was pointing out that the more expensive FRT-S2000 is a special and not any better than the Agile LFR.
I'd say go for the upgrade if you're not willing so spend much more on a truly better Floyd
Quote by W4RP1G
I'd say go for the upgrade if you're not willing so spend much more on a truly better Floyd

I'll replace it at a later date, if need be... but they're expensive, to say the very least.

(and @jpnyc, yeah I know it's an FR Special, the "S" kinda gave it away .)
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Personally, I'd just get the cheaper one and buy one of the licensed floyds from guitarfetish. They're nice and cheap but use all steel and brass parts. It will be about $20 more than if you had gotten the more expensive one, and really $20 is less than two hours of work so you should be good there.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
Personally, I'd just get the cheaper one and buy one of the licensed floyds from guitarfetish. They're nice and cheap but use all steel and brass parts. It will be about $20 more than if you had gotten the more expensive one, and really $20 is less than two hours of work so you should be good there.

They're 7 strings
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by CJ Noble

Guitarfetish doesn't like 7 strings or something. They don't have anything for a 7 string. They suck like that.

I would avoid all Chinese and Korean LFRs if it were me. I know Takeuchi makes a 7 string LFR, and I suspect Schaller makes an OFR 7 as well, but I'm not sure.
The OFR 7 probably costs half as much as the guitars he's looking at, that's why he wants to avoid having to buy one later on. Seeing as the difference between the Special and the LFR is going to be negligible either one is going to been to be replaces anyway.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by Metalfan41
The OFR 7 probably costs half as much as the guitars he's looking at, that's why he wants to avoid having to buy one later on. Seeing as the difference between the Special and the LFR is going to be negligible either one is going to been to be replaces anyway.

Yep, $220 for an OFR 7.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Yep, $220 for an OFR 7.

Screw that. Why don't you find a used Jeff Loomis or something with an OFR already in it?
Because my craigslist is ****ing DEAD, man.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Because my craigslist is ****ing DEAD, man.

Well, if you're patient, you can keep an eye on eBay and all of your local music retailers that might get a used one. I know guitar Center will ship used stock to your local store for free.