Page 1 of 2
do solid state amps respond to different pickups like tube amps do?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
hey..

yes, kinda every amp responds differently to pickups etc..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Yes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
tsdr

hey 311 :wave:
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Sep 21, 2011,
In my experience they do.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Tunder250
wrong thread? LOL :P

Well now....
Last edited by Ghold125 at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by Ghold125
The HD500 would be a great buy, and there would be virtually no lag between patches and such. I used to own a Pod X3 live for a short time, and was happy with everything, except for the fact that my tone would change to much plugging into various sound boards.

wrong thread? LOL :P
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Try not to think of it in terms of SS vs tube. Just think of it as good amps vs bad amps. Good amps will have good response, bad amps won't.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Try not to think of it in terms of SS vs tube. Just think of it as good amps vs bad amps. Good amps will have good response, bad amps won't.

depends of a lot of things...

for example: a twin reverb will respond REALLY differently to a pickup, than the same pickup will for a Powerball..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
thanks. i was under the impression for some reason that if i have a SS amp it wouldn't make any difference at all if i swapped pickups thanks guys. BTW when i get my b-52 up and running i'm selling the fender!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Quote by IronMaiden76
thanks. i was under the impression for some reason that if i have a SS amp it wouldn't make any difference at all if i swapped pickups thanks guys. BTW when i get my b-52 up and running i'm selling the fender!

I think that comes from the litany of threads with people wanting to spend $100-$200 on new pick ups when that money could be better spent on a better amp (where a pick up change often can make a major difference). I had a Fender Frontman when I got here and one of my first threads was asking about some pickups.

That feels like 10 years ago

Have fun with the B52 and make sure you do a NAD for it. I like those amps - especially for the price.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think that comes from the litany of threads with people wanting to spend $100-$200 on new pick ups when that money could be better spent on a better amp (where a pick up change often can make a major difference). I had a Fender Frontman when I got here and one of my first threads was asking about some pickups.

That feels like 10 years ago

Have fun with the B52 and make sure you do a NAD for it. I like those amps - especially for the price.

till i get a few higher priced guitars i'm gonna stick with stuff like GFS cuz there's no sense spending half the value of the guitar on pickups. BTW would an ESP-LTD M-10 or M-15 be a good backup guitar? i only have my squier and since i'm gonna start gigging within a month i need a backup

EDIT: NAD thread is imminent!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Save a bit more for a 50 or a 100.; Even tose are a bit patchy- very inconsistent quality control. You might get an awesome axe or you might get a lemon.

i'll look into that for sure, thanks bro!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Save a bit more for a 50 or a 100.; Even tose are a bit patchy- very inconsistent quality control. You might get an awesome axe or you might get a lemon.

FWIW I really like my H-51, it's only $199 on MF, same price as my old squier standard but miles better imo, but then again maybe I just got a good one. Try before you buy if you can TS.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
have to play devil's advocate here and say no they won't react the same as a tube amp. a change of pickups can result in a different sound but most solid state amps won't show as big a difference. if the pickups aren't very different from what you were using you may not notice much or any difference in sound. tubes give a more harmonically complex tone than solid state. tubes can be somewhat unpredictable vs the sameness of solid state. often the difference found in pickups is found by how they interact with the harmonics. say you have 2 PAF style pickups from different companies in theory they should sound the same. often this isn't the case although the varience may be slight. through a solid state amp you may not hear the slight mid bump or rolled off treble.

point is to think hard about what pickups you want to go to and how big of a change they would be. the bigger the change the more likely you will hear it. also keep in mind that cheaper amps have crappier speakers that may not have the dynamics to reproduce some of the little nuances so once again something that would be noticable on a better amp (be it tube or SS) might not be so appearent on a cheapie.
Quote by monwobobbo
have to play devil's advocate here and say no they won't react the same as a tube amp. a change of pickups can result in a different sound but most solid state amps won't show as big a difference. if the pickups aren't very different from what you were using you may not notice much or any difference in sound. tubes give a more harmonically complex tone than solid state. tubes can be somewhat unpredictable vs the sameness of solid state. often the difference found in pickups is found by how they interact with the harmonics. say you have 2 PAF style pickups from different companies in theory they should sound the same. often this isn't the case although the varience may be slight. through a solid state amp you may not hear the slight mid bump or rolled off treble.

point is to think hard about what pickups you want to go to and how big of a change they would be. the bigger the change the more likely you will hear it. also keep in mind that cheaper amps have crappier speakers that may not have the dynamics to reproduce some of the little nuances so once again something that would be noticable on a better amp (be it tube or SS) might not be so appearent on a cheapie.

he's right...it's all about the crystal lattice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTj08qTwGw
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by monwobobbo

so tubes react more... but SS reacts.. less?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

it's a different signal from pickup to pickup.

everything will react.

the point is that a bad amp will still sound like bad.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by IronMaiden76

I think it depends on how you ask the question...

Quote by IronMaiden76
so tubes react more... but SS reacts.. less?

not so much a matter of more or less but rather differently. it comes down to the way each circuit sees the incoming signal. the reason many prefer tubes is the way the harmonic structure of the signal is affected by tubes. it is more pleasing to the ear especially when you get into distorted signals. SS still lags in this dept because no one has found a way to totally simulate the unpredictable way tubes react. many things can cause a tube to sound just a little different (voltage, heat etc) these things really don't come into play with SS. SS tends to see a signal one way and that's it. some of the really high end ones do a much better job but still not exactly like a tube.

what it comes down to is whether your amp can process the little things your pickups have to offer that give it an individual character. tubes just tend to do a better job at this. as i said if your pickups offer a very different signal than wha you originally had then you will notice a difference either way. on the other hand the amp might only notice the difference in output and not much else in some cases. this leads to grumbling by guys who swap pups figuring that suddenly they would have awesome tone. this is a big reason you hear "get a new amp" here so often. a 15 watt MG for instance just can't do justice to a boutique pup.
Quote by edbert
FWIW I really like my H-51, it's only $199 on MF, same price as my old squier standard but miles better imo, but then again maybe I just got a good one. Try before you buy if you can TS.

I have an H-51 too. Why? It felt better in my hands than the more expensive H100

And SS amps will react differently to a tube amp cause the tech used is different. Whether the resulting sound is good or not is upto your ears to decide.
Regardless of whether its a tube amp, an SS amp, a pedal or a modeller or whatever
Bad gear will akways sound bad, good gear will always sound good.
And idiots with no idea how to EQ will make the best of gear sound bad
At this local gig, I saw one band with two DSL's, one head and one combo. Neither guitar could be ehard over the drums or bass in spite of being miced
i find that some overdrive channels on solid state amps are a bit fuzzed out and don't really sound all that different unless you're using very different guitars.

for example i have an old HH IC100 which is a bit like that. the cleans are very transparent but the overdrive only really lets you hear the difference in frequency content and output from guitar to guitar because it has so much artificial transistorized gain that just can't be adjusted. so, for example, a telecaster with single coils will give you a bit less gain and more bite whereas a les paul will be more gainy and have a thicker sound, but really you can't hear whether it's a tele or a les paul. it just crunches up the sound far too much.

it depends on the amp basically.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
i think i understand now. my b-52 ls 100 is on the way, so we'll see how that does.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76

Yes. In my opinion, the guitar's pickup is the main source of sound for all kinds of pickups.
Quote by IronMaiden76

oh yeah totally. but like, since solid state amps are different from tube amps then they respond to different pickups... er, um... differently.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ a new perspective emerges

it's like an onion... an 11 dimensional hyper-onion with Calabi-Yau shaped layers. we have far to go before we exhaust the perspectives on this complex beast-of-a-subject.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 24, 2011,
SO.. MUCH... DIFFERENTLY... oh well. i have a water bottle for the journey across the desert and wild onions grow im my yard so i guess you can borrow it for your journey
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

you confused me a little
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

excuse me?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76

No.
Page 1 of 2