Hey folks, my buddy at work came to me today and said he was going to sell his Highway One Strat and I am seriously considering it. The only thing he has modified is the pick guard. What has been your experience with these guitars and if I did purchase it what would you consider some good modifications to make?
I played one at a story, only unplugged though.

It's a cool guitar, the nitro finish feels good, neck feels pretty good, should be a solid guitar actually. Depending on what you play you might want to change the pickups.
Eventually you could upgrade the tuners, my American Special has the same ones AFAIK and people keep complaining about those, I don't have any problems with the tuners though.
You could eventually replace the bridge if you want. As far as I remember the one on the HW1 I played seemed to be a rather cheap one (not sure though).
My brother owns one. Generally it is a well made guitar and plays very nicely. My only criticism of it would be that the bridge pickup can be slightly too hot and harsh sounding at times, though that may be a matter of personal taste.
I played a used one at GC, they were asking $450. I was truly remarkable. It was easily the lightest solid body electric I've ever held, and it had and amazing neck with very good action and no fret buzz. I was blown away buy it, but it was black and I don't much like black guitars. Looking back, I think I shoulda bought it anyway, it was damn good.
Buy it. Mine is a model from 2008. Maple neck, 3-color sunburst, Alnico 3 pick ups (stock), enlarged 70's-style head stock, and a whole bucket full of awesome.

I had one for 3 years and it has never failed me once. I get the most amazing tones out of it (I play blues/stoner rock), and that's with the stock pick-ups. They're like the mid-way pick up between a Mexican and American [higher end American strats]. The satin finish also gives it a beauty look to it (also nice for getting the quick road-worn look). The maple neck gives it such a smooth feel, easy to glide the hand up and down the neck.

This guitar is absolutely amazing. I high recommend it!
It is a diecent Budget USA made fender. Pickups are meh at best, and the hardware is OK. My friend has had one for about 4-5 yrs, and it is a pretty solid guitar. With a few upgrades like locking tuners, new p/u's its a great USA strat.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by K Reyn
Hey folks, my buddy at work came to me today and said he was going to sell his Highway One Strat and I am seriously considering it. The only thing he has modified is the pick guard. What has been your experience with these guitars and if I did purchase it what would you consider some good modifications to make?

i'm guessing it's not one of the old ones with the translucent finish, right?

the ones after the switch over, get much better reviews.

they did double the price though.

anyway, i'm talking to myself here. make sure you look at the
model year on the sn.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I had planned to buy one and trade out the pickups for some Fender CS 69's but I just didnt like how pale the neck is on the model. The Nitro finish is great though!
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
I own a 2009 Highway One Strat and it has definately given me many good surprises over the years I've used it for.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the nitro finish.

Pickups could probably be better, but they sound really good in any case. I think the amp has way more to do with the overall sound.

The only problem I have with it is the frets. Now, I played this guitar ALL the time, but the frets wore out really easily for just 2 years of use. I'm going to need to get them leveled some time soon, but considering how they wore out so easily in the first place, I'm thinking of just getting a total stainless steel refret. Or a new neck. I dunno.

Other than that, it is an incredible guitar, and I love mine to death.
I have a 2004 red highway one and I LOVE it. It's the cheapest american strat (im pretty sure) but that's not a bad thing. It has a great action and it's my favorite guitar right now. I won't lie to you though, I have read on forums and on the internet that they don't use very good pickups in it. However, I thought they sounded great. I did eventually swap them out for the 1969 fender time machine pickups though. I don't really notice a huge difference to be honest, even though they're really cooll...the same lady that hand wound them made them for Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton back in the day. She initials them too for proof.
Every Strat is different. Really, you'll have to get hands on. There are some real gems with the Highway one series out there. Could be a better buy than you know.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I just ran into my buddy, he said he played the H1 Strat last night for hours and he is not sure if he wants to sell it now but said he could cut me a deal on an Ibanez RG470. I am really set on this strat, I hope he decides to sell it to me.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I think pass on the V-tone and even with the V-tone $650 is waaaayy too much.

A new Highway One Strat is $700 and even with the case that's a ripoff.

The Fender is barely used and the amp is new. But this really doesn't sound like that good of a deal?
Ah sorry when I read V-tone I was thinking of the V-amp. I didn't realize you were talking about the combo.

Well together the guitar/case/amp are over $1100 so I guess altogether that's a good deal but I still wouldn't want a V-tone.
No, if you wanna pay that much, just get a new one. Berhinger isn't the best amps ether, I knew a guy that had one and had nothing but probelms with it. It was really noisy also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I guess I better do some extra reserach on the amp before I commit to anyting.

Edit: It's a 120 watt amp, I mean I am really thinking about taking the whole package. I have read mixed reviews on the amp but for the most part they are postive comments.

Any imput is appreciated.
Last edited by K Reyn at Sep 28, 2011,