so ug i got a gibson explorer today. it was repainted red. all the gold rubbed off the hardware from playing. it was made in 2001. i got it for $400. STEAL or STEAL?

Headstock shot or it's an Epiphone. That seems REALLY cheap.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
2001 made in montana. head stock has a small crack in it that doesn't affect playing. its a players guitar not a collectors. 400 was a steal pups sound great! doesn't have a slim neck. i love chunky necks.
Fake.

Montana is the Gibson Acoustic factory, there have been fake electrics with Bozeman factory numbers popping up fairly often recently.
they guy seemed reasonable said he would hold my money till i'm satisfied. i'll go friday to a vintage dealer i know and get it checked up. the guy has alot of experience with this
Interesting on my Gibson Explorer the front button for the strap is not located where yours is, its on the back of the guitar. As mention you confirm the serial # on it? Cause that guitar looks exactly like a "1958" Epiphone Korina Explorer repainted to look like a Sammy Hagar guitar.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Epiphone/1958-Korina-Explorer.aspx

-Pick Guard Shape Matches
-Gold Hardware Matches
-Pickup Covers Match
-Control Knobs (Les Paul Style) Match
-Strap Button Placement Matches

I have debunked the mystery of a lot of Gibson guitars from 1930s acoustics to 2009 Les Paul Studios (over at the Gibson forums) and I would personally say with 100% confidence that is a Epiphone, which is ok its still a decent guitar, and a great way to spend $400 in comparison to some of the Chinese knockoff Gibson I see people trying to sell for upwards of $1000
it was repainted. i unno if the guy moved the strap button or what. i had one before and it had the strap button the back that gave me a red flag as well
Quote by king bun bun
it was repainted. i unno if the guy moved the strap button or what. i had one before and it had the strap button the back that gave me a red flag as well

I cant remember the exact year but in 82-83 there was an explorer being put out by Gibson that had the strap button in that location, I think it was the Explorer II or something like that, but it had a highly figured maple top to it, I couldn't see someone painting over that. I think the original 1958 Gibson model also had it in this location, as you said though it could have been moved.
Quote by king bun bun
if it is it is if not if not.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Like really, what just happened there?

Anyway, sucks about the fake, but if you think it plays well and sounds great, have fun with it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Like really, what just happened there?

Anyway, sucks about the fake, but if you think it plays well and sounds great, have fun with it.

You just blew my mind

Seriously though, I'd never let myself get ripped off with a counterfeit Gibson. Go get your money back, and threaten to call the cops if he sells it as a real Gibson. It's a felony to do so knowingly, and some other poor soul is going to buy it thinking it's real. I don't know what the going rate is for a real Gibson explorer that's been repainted, but if it's considerably more than $400, he probably knew it was a fake and was trying to make a quick buck.
Even if it is a fake, it's a pretty guitar
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
pickguard is wrong. not long enough.

that's just at a glance.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
As said many times in this post, that is not nor will it ever be a GIBSON. Go get your $400 back you got ripped off that guitar shouldn't cost more than $200 used. They sell new for $450ish and since it has been refinished it looses alot of value.

I hope you can get your $$ back, but unfortunately your probably gonna be screwed unless you bought it from a retail store.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
We need a serial number so we can check that as well.

No Gibson solid body will say made in Montana. Also check with Gibson as well they can spot a fake a mile away.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
if it plays nice and sounds good, i would tell the guy to give you $200 back. i kinda think a fake would be cool to own. i would like to see more pics. Is that a single ply pickguard?
Quote by socalguitar
if it plays nice and sounds good, i would tell the guy to give you $200 back. i kinda think a fake would be cool to own. i would like to see more pics. Is that a single ply pickguard?

yea but its illegal, so its keeping a $200 fake guitar or getting his money back to avoid complications in the future
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
^^^ Yea, but if he really likes it then it makes sense to just ask the guy for a portion of the money back. Well, as long as he doesn't sell it later on, advertise it or anything, I doubt anyone would care much.

It may be illegal to sell a fake but is it to knowingly own one? The seller can get in alot of trouble buy I don't think Gibson or anyone would care as long as he doesn't display it like it is a real gibson.
I mean, if i could take any of my guitars and write gibson on it and just keep it to and for myself, no one really cares about that as long as its for me.

Well, don't listen to my advice only. I'd rather not be blamed if anything happens but, as I reinforced, its unlikely there will be any problems. But remember, you have to like it
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
^^^ Yea, but if he really likes it then it makes sense to just ask the guy for a portion of the money back. Well, as long as he doesn't sell it later on, advertise it or anything, I doubt anyone would care much.

It may be illegal to sell a fake but is it to knowingly own one? The seller can get in alot of trouble buy I don't think Gibson or anyone would care as long as he doesn't display it like it is a real gibson.
I mean, if i could take any of my guitars and write gibson on it and just keep it to and for myself, no one really cares about that as long as its for me.

Well, don't listen to my advice only. I'd rather not be blamed if anything happens but, as I reinforced, its unlikely there will be any problems. But remember, you have to like it

It's illegal to sell a fake as a legitimate Gibson. But I guess if both parties know it's a fake, then what's the harm?
Quote by broc5k
Headstock shot or you've been trolling the whole time.

That seems likely.

HEADSTOCK PIC!
dude that is definately wayyy to cheap for a legit gibson explorer,

but i will say it looks legit....ive never heard of this montana? scam or whatever though so could be fake idk
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w