Scale the Summit and Between the Buried and Me are two of favorite bands. They also have some of my favorite guitar tones. I am currently looking for an all tube amp that would be good for this kind of music. I must stress that I am looking for an amp that will be able to do 90% of both bands tone.

The ones I am looking at the most closely are the Bugera 333xl (copy of the Peavey JSX). The Bugera Trirec (obvious a copy of the Mesa/Boogie triple rectifier. which is now due on shelves in November) or the Engl E530 preamp.

The things I need answers for are:

Would either these two work great for this style?

Or would I have to (with 100% certainty) go for the more expensive amp they copy?

Or am I completely unrealistic and the ONLY way to do this would be a Mesa Mark V? (which i could never afford/ nor without a band, justify)

EDIT: what are your thoughts about a single recto for this style?
Want Sub-Forums For GB&C, CLICK and Comment to Help the Right People Notice.
Last edited by targetdude at Sep 21, 2011,
im not so sure about Scale the Summit and their gear, but i know Btbam are Mesa users in the studio (and they use Axe FX live) so between the two Bugera's i would go with the Trirec.

Paul uses/used Dual Recs and a Mark V while Dusty used a Roadster for quite some time. i would honestly save up and buy a used Roadster (or hell, even a used dual rec...but i personally prefer the Roadster) if you think the Mark V is too expensive. it will surpass the Bugera on literally every level sound wise, it'll last forever and in my opinion is well worth the money having played it quite a few times. that's just my advice, but out of the two Bugera's i would go for the one that sounds more like a Mesa if that's what you're going for.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Sep 21, 2011,
That'sswhat I figured, as for as the BTBAM tone. It's Scale the summit part that kinda screwing me up. I know at one point they used ENGL, Mesa mark V, and now axe fx.
honestly, my real advice to you would be to walk into a store...play as many amps as you can get your hands on within your price range and decide which one sounds the best to you. limiting yourself to one or two models/brands isn't wise in light of the fact that those guys in the studio use a whole lot more than JUST those amps to sculpt their sound. pedals, mics, and all sorts of processing goes into the recording process and can alter the original tone of their amps, not to mention that they use high end guitars with high end pickups which also affect their tone.

it's good that you know what tone you want to go for, but in the end those amps might wind up not sounding the way you want them to for whatever reason. good luck
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Sep 21, 2011,
there is the problem.......
Music shops in my area of tiny, so tiny in fact if they have ANY tube amps is just one of two lower quality ones. Its been a huge problem in the past with my amp buying experience.

I also am well aware of the use of pedals and studio stuff techniques to sculpt the sound. It not a big deal for me, as i will never a gigging musician. But i do plan on, once I get some good gear, to record my own music.
Made an edit to original post. because i know were i can get a single rectifier
I wouldn't get the Single Rec unless you can find the older model (2 channel, perhaps? Not 100% sure). I personally wouldn't go with any Bugera products, simply because you will become dissatisfied after a couple of months of using them.

The E530 is a good all-around amp, but perhaps not enough saturated gain for BTBAM and StS. Plus, you'd have to buy a power amp to use it properly.

Honestly I would think that you POD HD would be able to pretty accurately replicate their respective tones if you play with it long enough.