I was thinking of saving up for the Peavey JSX head. I currently own a Marshall MG412B. Will this be good enough for it or should I upgrade cabs too?
You will need a new cab. MG's are notorious for their awful speakers. They won't let the awesome tone of the JSX sound like anything more than a bucket of crap.

Get the JSX, and a new cab to go with that as well.
Where's Waldo?
I'm using a Harley Benton G212 Vintage and it's great, especially for the price. Although, I've never tried out any other cabs so I could be dead wrong.
I tried it out at some guys apartment that I was jamming with and I really liked the sound. I think he had a mesa boogie cab for it.. I don't know the model. It was a short little thing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
why the JSX?

just asking.

JSX is the sex. Should not have to be asked.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by dinley
hate to spring a new question, but any suggestions on cabs?

where are you located and what is your budget?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
US. I guess something between 1000-2000 if I had to put a monetary value on it
^ for a cab?

damn, I wish I had that kind of cab budget

Quote by chadreed32
JSX is the sex. Should not have to be asked.

agreed, it is a great amp but also a very bright amp and is not for everyone.

just trying to see the whole picture here - which is not easy.
This is big goal stuff you know. Like the reason to get up in the morning and go to work.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
a very bright amp

Heed these words everyone, what he speaks is true!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ for a cab?

damn, I wish I had that kind of cab budget

agreed, it is a great amp but also a very bright amp and is not for everyone.

just trying to see the whole picture here - which is not easy.
TBH, this doesn't make sense. I have 3 of these, 2 with EL34s and 1 with 6L6s, none are bright, very broad Mids and enough Gain on tap. Not as massive as the Twin Jet or Herbert, but you can easily dial in something that'll make you smile. Play around with speaker combinations ... it loves everything from V30s to EVM 12Ls. Very versatile and easy to dial.

BTW, you can snag on for ~$600 all day long, in mint condition.

Well then I would look into a 4x12 Bogner Ubercab $1200ish or a Mills accoustics 4x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nearly any cab with V30's should make the JSX shine. I've read that multiple owners love V30's with their JSX's.

That said, the JSX cab is the one good cab Peavey makes, so don't discount it just because it's a Peavey cab. I've seen people using the JSX cab for JSX's, and for 3120's. It also has some really cool features too.

I have to agree with Ippon. People always say the XXX/JSX are very bright amps, but I just don't really see it. Sure, they are brighter than average, but at the same time, they can be EQ'd in a way that they sound very dark. Which is a reason I'm so fond of them I suppose, they are very versatile, and very cheap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Offworld92, JSXs are indeed huge bargains!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

ok, brighter than other amps.

they are not dark like a 6505+ or a Rockerverb. No?

don't get me wrong, i love the JSX

I know you do! When peeps say bright, I think of Laneys, like the VH100R. But then, a preamp change to an RFT or Tungsram fixes brightness.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

ok, brighter than other amps.
they are not dark like a 6505+ or a Rockerverb. No?
don't get me wrong, i love the JSX

I don't find the JSX to be a "bright amp". Its more neutral in that regard.
However, because it uses active EQs controls, you can REALLY cause quite a bit of damage to your tone. It is NOT the type of amp that you run your typical settings on (Bass @ 8, mids @ noon ETC ETC). You will need to play with the controls a bit more to find "your tone" then with other amps.

That said, it definitely doesn't have the "pissed off" growl that 6505/5150 does. This is fine with me as it was definitely intended to be a bit "smoother" sounding.

Another amp that perhaps should be considered is a Carvin V3. However, while it is a bit more aggressive, it doesn't exhibit the type of prominent "mids" that peavey amps are so infamous for. But it IS 3 channels (with MIDI - YAY!) and if you're looking for something more "metal", it may suit you better.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100