So, I've decided to go down the self-taught path for learning guitar and I want to get a book or 2 that will teach me.
I had a look online at a few but I'm not sure what ones to get. I was thinking of Guitar for Dummies because it had a few good reviews but I'm still not sure.

Can you guys rec me some books that you think are the best?
Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?

No need to get books, there are tons of videos, lessons all over the web.

You have everything you need to learn how to play well, you just need to do it: start learning.
I asked for book rec's for a reason guys, I don't have much computer access.
Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?

Guitar for dummies, Guitar Bible.
I would personally recommend some dvds. I have a couple Metal Method dvds that helped me immensely.

Shawn: Yeah I've read alot of sites and that one really clicked with me over zentao and the crusades column here. Things really started making sense. But thats me, check a few out.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by Chopped_In_Half
Ok thanks, I'll get Guitar for Dummies then. Also, is this worth getting?

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Rhythm-Guitar-Vol-Stetina/dp/0793509580/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1316645391&sr=8-9

No, this isn't an ad either.

http://www.berkleemusic.com/store/product?product%5fid=11250&usca%5fp=t

If you know how to read music (or are will to buy another book that will teach you) then hands down the berklee series.

It's really tough for a series and doesn't have you playing mary had a little lamb variations for the first 75 pages.

That said it DOES NOT teach you how to read music and just assumes you know how. But reading music is not very complicated and you could probably teach yourself pretty damb quick (or with the aid of another book),
As others have said already, Ultimate-Guitar is a great source on lessons, check them out. Everything you really need is on here, YouTube and Google.
As I said already I need books because A) I prefer them and B) I don't get much computer access so it would be good to have books to learn from when I can't use a computer.

There are a couple of versions in the "Guitar for Dummies" line - depending on what type of music you like one of them may be of a bit more interest than the general one.

I have "Rock Guitar for Dummies", which still starts out at "the beginning", but has chapters for different rock styles, as well as lots of "riffs in the style of xxxxxx". Everything is on CD, also, and you can always migrate the CD to your iPod, or computer.
Quote by ne14t
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

Free Online Theory for ya, Enjoy! I stumbled on this a while ago and it learned me some good stuff on music theory.

That's a great website. I was pretty confused with his explanation of modes, so I found this site.

He covers modes in a much more accessible manner, and he explains how to use them well.

As far as just learning scales and songs goes, just find a website with scales and chords listed, preferably with the fingering for chords, and learn more. But you really should learn music theory so you can discover your own and so you understand how they work and different ways to use them.
Yeah, a book that teaches both the playing side and theory side would actually be really good.

+1 on the DVDs. Visual aids work a lot better than just trying to pick stuff up off the page. Your local chain book stores should have a pretty good selection of books that have either DVDs or CDs included.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
I live in a town of about 200 people, no book stores here. Yeah, the books I'm looking at have DVDs / CDs.