Hi guys, how are you? I've been playing guitar for a year and 9 months and I love rock and metal music. I feel like I'm stuck because no matter how much I keep on going I can't get to play any "decent" solo well. I can play easy guitar rythim like Holy Diver(Dio), T.N.T. (AC/DC), Highway to Hell(AC/DC), Molinos de Viento (Mago de Oz), Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath), Bible Black (Heaven & Hell), Braving Flag (Galneryus), Run To The Hills (Iron Maiden), The Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden), Smoke On The Water (Deep Purple) ETC ETC.
When it comes to small solos I can play things like the one from Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana), Hunting High and Low (Stratovarius), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen), Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes) and Are You Gonna Be My Girl (Jet). You know, small easy solos.
About instrumentals, I am a HUGE fan of Paul Gilbert and well... I can't really play any song of his xD But I can play Mount Fuji Christmas without the solo perfectly and also Moon Over the Castle without the solo from Gran Turismo.

My gear is a Squier strato with a Peavy rage 158 and I bought the Metal Muff distortion pedal to get something more pure and better.

The thing is that I want to be able to play some AC/DC solos and harder songs, Van Halen songs, Aerosmith songs, etc in order to change my gear for something better (I was thinking about an Ibanez). So... you think that by the time I've been playing guitar I'm in a bad shape, normal, or really good? would it be too soon to change the gear? any song good for practice recommendation? help with solos?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
You dont need good gear to play well! Just practise and listen to the song, it takes time to notice any progress but you'll always get there in the end if you've tried hard enough.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Help with solos: get guitar pro and turn the metronome on. Slow down solo until do-able. Slowly increase speed until you make a mistake. Then go back a wee bit. Repeat until awesome.

Tuxguitar is free if you cant get guitar pro.
Its not your gear thats holding you back its your fingers man, you just have to practice and practice more and more and then when you think you have got it, practice even more! I have the same issue with the sweep arpeggios I am working on from the Dethklok Duncan Hills Coffee jingle and well one of them I got perfectly going up; however coming back down its sounding a little blah, just have to practice it more.
For the time period you have been playing you are not bad by any means. It all comes down to how often you practice though. Lets face it, you can't go out and buy a new "better" guitar and become amazing overnight. Sometimes buying new gear can help you slowly become a better player in a sense. Guitars with better build quality usually tend to be more comfortable to play, and sometimes gives players a drive to play a bit more. Beginners are usually having the urge to learn soloing but are turned off cause most solos are more difficult than the usual rhythm sections.

As far as buying a new guitar, nobody can shout out a brand name and make the decision for you. It's always up to personal preference to find what guitar suits you. If you list a budget and some features you are looking for on the guitar, people are glad to help recommend some specific guitars.Just keep in mind that it's not going to be the guitar that determines how good you can be.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
There is really no other advice than to practice, the Highway To Hell solo is fairly simple, I learned it very quickly after picking up the electric guitar. Otherwise it's just practicsing scales. A word of warning though, many players gets so involved into scales that they become mindless shredders, just running up and down scales, calling them solos...

I learned basic shapes, minor, pentatonic, harmonic minor, and dorian. Then I use them as base and pick notes that are outside that basic shape but are still a part of the key. It's less complicated than it sounds like
First, Don't change yore gear. You don't really need to change yore gear right now, wait a few months.

Second, yore advancing good considering you've only been playing 9 months.

Third., Practice recommendations. I know some people are going to disagree with me, but Through the Fire and Flames (rhythm sections). Yore only using a few chords and it'll really help yore right hand with speed picking and timing. No, it won't be easy, but you'll advance quicker if you take a few big steps rather then a bunch of little steps. And after that, you'll be able to play just about anything. Aso, Black Sabbath. Most of their songs are pretty easy with moderate pentatonic solos. You might have trouble with some of their solos, but I do recommend you at least try to play it.

Fianally, help with solos. Most important: DON'T LEARN SOLOS NOTE FOR NOTE!!! Yore just playing their stuff without adding yore own style to it. Also, learn some scales; minor pentatonic and diatonic are good ones considering yore style. practice them every day. practice them until you can rip through them like crazy. (might take awhile). Then, when that scale shows up in a solo, you'll have no problem with it. Also, don't expect to get good overnight. All those guitar players in those bands have been playing for years. In a year or so, then you can expect to get good (with a LOT of practice, of course). Don't give up, and keep it up.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Last edited by thrashdeth at Sep 21, 2011,
perhaps some better gear will help a bit but practice is the real solution. dude under 2 years in isn't long at all. don't feel bad i've been playing for over 30 years and i have a tough time playing paul gilbert solos still (if i can at all on many of them). those guys are guitar heroes for a reason if it was easy we'd all be doing it.

get yourself some tabs for some of the easier songs and start there. AC/DC is a good place to start and maybe Aerosmith. Judas Priest's Living After Midnight is a good place to start as well. get some of those down and then work your way up. realize this will take time and this will cut down on the frustration. also don't feel that if you can't burn of some of these licks you are a failure at guitar. i wanted to be a shredder god for many years but honestly no matter how many hours i practiced i wasn't. i finally woke up and started to aply myself to the things i was good at. see where your limits are and take it from there.
Thank you so much guys!! you are the best!! I'm so going to follow everyone of you in your advices =D R.I.P. Dio, always in our hearts.

and now... it's showtime baby xD xD hahaha