It was looking like the HB wasn't going to be beaten, but it looks like I can get a Jet City 2x12 for £150 shipped, so I'm being swayed The HB w/V30s is £190 shipped. Which should I go for? I play through a Carvin X100B at the moment. I play Metal, but not teh brootulz, so want bottom end with clarity but a bit of midrange too.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Carvins sound good through V30s. The speakers in the Jet City are ok but not great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Assuming that they are in similar condition I'd go the HB. Because of the speakers. Not sure on the relative cab construction though
RIP Gooze

cats
I'd get the HB. A lot of people put them down, but I think speakers make more of a difference than cab construction.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yep, reckon I'll go with the HB - the JC cabs look good but they're designed for JC amps, really.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
The eminences in the jet citys probably arent bad but you probably will want the vintage 30s in the HB for what you play.
2nd Hand Marshall 1936?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd Hand Marshall 1936?

Seriously? They cost the same (if you're lucky) but they're made from chipboard and have rubbish speakers.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
GT12 75 are great for a tight almost scooped mid range with a decent amount of bass response.

They sound great, I prefer them to V30s as you dont get that big mid spike.

but all down to preference.

The 1936 cab is vastly superior to the HB one, even if the HB has V30s.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Going to have to disagree. The 1936 is overpriced, made out of inferior materials and is loaded with inferior speakers, personal preference apart.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Fair enough...

Though you know, the fact that your getting a cab for the cost of just the speakers in it, makes me seriously question the quality of anything on that HB cab...

But all down to preference.

I wouldnt buy any of the cabs your after as my personal preference is they are all sub par imi, but hey I suggested a slightly better alternative

Cause you know, if you think the HB is made with any care, thought or decent "wood" your only fooling yourself.

At least buy a cheap cab you will be able to sell for the same cost you bought it for.

Hardly over priced

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-1936-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-2x12-/140608342819?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item20bce90b23#ht_506wt_1270

I am not saying you have to buy a 1936, but i am just suggesting something that would work well for what you want, its slightly better quality and if you want to sell it, wont lose much money on it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 22, 2011,
The Harley Benton cab is made of MDF too IIRC. Only real difference is the speakers.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You have a MF400?

Whats wrong with that? Arent they meant to be awesome cabs?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Think about it. Thomann buy direct from source, making it cheaper instantly. Then the cab is made at source in China, and it's a cabinet - it doesn't need the care an amp or a guitar would need as all it has to be is square and tight-fitting, which they are, which has been said by people who own them. It's made from ply, which is a better wood than MDF, period. Then you throw in the speakers, which are made in China like all V30's. Then you ship them to Germany in bulk. It's not going to cost much - in fact it would cost a fair bit less than £170.

I'm not saying it's the best 2x12 about, but for the money you can't get much better, based on fact.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Quote by Tom 1.0
You have a MF400?

Whats wrong with that? Arent they meant to be awesome cabs?

It's a good cab, there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just sick of having to lug it around as it's ****ing huge and heavy. Especially just to play a tiny room!
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
And Marshall aren't buying direct from the source?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror
are 1936 mdf?

no.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Isnt it the 1922s that are mdf?
The 1936s are as well i think but i doubt the HB is made of the highest quality stuff either. A lot of the ones used wont be mdf though its a pretty new thing and also i've heard reports that its just the back. Silly Marshall.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Sep 23, 2011,
I like my jet city cab. It is built like a tank. Very cleanly built and I'm pretty sure it's not mdf. The speakers are fine to me, but I am going to get a g12h30 and v30 to go in it at some point. ADA first on the list though, lol.
Quote by gregs1020
no.

Actually, the recent ones are. The JCM800 and early 900 ones are ply, all the cabs after that are mdf/chipboard.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
^ noice!

Quote by Bidley
Actually, the recent ones are. The JCM800 and early 900 ones are ply, all the cabs after that are mdf/chipboard.

there was no specification made as to the year of the 1936 cab. I'm not aware of any "made in england" mdf cabs, though they may exist.

then again, so could bigfoot.

not a 212, but this.

is awesome.

and cost $200 with a made in england V30, which wasn't stock. but the 65 watt stock celestian would have been nice too.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 23, 2011,
Well, what do you know, got my HB 2x12, £115 off eBay and it's really quite good. Lots of bottom end, speakers give a nice little mid-hump, and it's extremely well-made for what it is. I gigged with it last week and it held its own wonderfully.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Up? I'd like to have some info about that too!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ i'd probably get the harley benton unless you really don't want/need vintage 30 speakers (and in that case, probably get the harley benton g212 without the v30s as it's cheaper than the jet city).

I suppose, if you're really trying to keep the price to a minimum and aren't able to swap speakers right now, the jet city's speakers are a bit better than the non-v30 harley benton's, but aside from that (or maybe cosmetic reasons), the harley benton is probably the better choice. It's a bit bigger and I think it sounds a little bigger, too. Not from a scientific test, just my (probably wrong) feeling of having tried them not head to head, but a few weeks apart (with the same speakers).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?