Page 1 of 2
One of my friends here in my dorm went to her hometown this weekend (she's a freshman) and took a stop sign from an empty parking lot. She says she thinks the parking lot was a public (state-owned?) parking lot, but she's not sure.

Parked in the lot was a truck full of orange traffic cones, and laying next to the truck were a few street signs - a couple of stop signs, maybe a work zone sign, maybe a do not enter sign, something along those lines. It wasn't roped off or anything, just all sitting in the corner of the parking lot.

So, she took a stop sign, and drove off back to her college dorm in Greensboro. But before we start planting this stop sign in people's rooms... what sort of trouble can you get in for possession/stealing of this sign?

Is it really stealing if it's just sitting there in a parking lot? Can you get in trouble for simply possession of a sign? I've heard everything from "it's no big deal, no one really cares" to "it's a felony", but at any rate our RA is pretty uptight and she's pretty scared of having something that could seriously screw her over.

Thanks!
Varies from state to state probably. Had you lived in Georgia you would've gotten the chair.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████

If it's got a sticker, it's state owned.

Also, it's a nice little tip for people that like to run stop signs. If you get pulled over, check the sign for a sticker

EDIT: Whoa giant picture.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Kensai
Varies from state to state probably. Had you lived in Georgia you would've gotten the chair.

I really don't want to laugh at that.

But I did
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

....it has a sticker.
So what's the penalty for THAT?

Note: She didn't take it off an actual STREET, per se, or detach it from anything. It was simply laying there, in a parking lot, next to a bunch of other construction/street signage/etc.
1. check for sticker
2. take sticker off
3. ?????????????
4. profit
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
It's still theft. And if I'm thinking right, stealing street signs is a felony.

DUN DUN DUUUNNNNN.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
if its a felony in one state, its a felony everywhere because its a federal offense. Honestly as long as no one gets hurt I doubt they would do anything unless she was caught stealing it. Tell her to destroy the markings on the back though or else they will be able to track where its from.
somebody prolly forgot about it. but you should return it. and maybe delete the thread to be safe . as soon as you get you answer

EDIT:

stealin ( especially state property) is a felony.

burglary..... take it back before someone notices.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Sep 21, 2011,
Its a felony. Any stop/street sign counts as theft of gov't property.
Not to mention you run the risk of a car accident because a stop sign was stolen.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Say you bought it at a flea market if it comes down to it, i doubt they've got any more than half of their forensics department working on the missing stop sign though.
Honestly it doesn't matter, no one's going to be tracking down what happened to that stop sign, especially since it wasn't even at an intersection
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Depends on the state. Check your local laws.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by WizMystery
Why is nobody finding it the least bit weird that someone stole a stop sign?

Because it's not that weird? Go to college.

But yeah, the majority of answers here are correct. It's illegal, it's a felony but I've never heard of someone getting legitimately charged for it. But for real, remove the sticker.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by izbbass
It's still theft. And if I'm thinking right, stealing street signs is a felony.

DUN DUN DUUUNNNNN.

This, you're friend is an idiot. Will anyone care that it's in her room, prolly not, but if a cop sees the sticker on the back of the sign, in her possession, then yeah, trouble here we come.

Highly unlikely that she will get in trouble though, everyone will assume it's a replica sign, unless she opens her mouth and tells everyone she stole it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(apparently, that was a stupid question.)

Also, to whoever mentioned profit, are you making an offer? ;]
Last edited by ?musichead?99 at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by ?musichead?99
Is it still stealing if it's on the ground??

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU
Quote by Artemis Entreri

This must be some foreign custom because trust me, I've never heard of this one.
Quote by bluekirby7
1. check for sticker
2. take sticker off
3. ?????????????
4. profit

Quote by ?musichead?99
Is it still stealing if it's on the ground??

Quote by ?musichead?99
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(apparently, that was a stupid question.)

this one is more....
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by Artemis Entreri

But yeah, the majority of answers here are correct. It's illegal, it's a felony but I've never heard of someone getting legitimately charged for it. But for real, remove the sticker.

Ya I've only seen major repercussions when the theft caused an accident, like the one in Tampa Florida in the late 90's.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
It varies from state to state. So tell your "friend" to read up on that.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by ne14t
BTW I have done the full on douche thing and contacted Crime Stoppers in a hopeful bid to get some cash for reporting this, daddy needs a new Guitar.

Not sure if trolling...
Just a stop sign? That's nothing.

On a trip back from the pub (half a mile walking) me and two mates liberated 4 large construction cones, 3 sandbags, 2 men at work signs, 2 construction barriers and 1 Set of roadworks traffic lights.

We took the traffic lights back because it felt like we'd gone a little too far. That and the fact that we left all these in my mates front yard which was a 5 minute walk up the road from where we nicked them.

This was about 9 months ago now, and last I checked they were all still there.
Quote by izbbass
(Invalid img)

If it's got a sticker, it's state owned.

Also, it's a nice little tip for people that like to run stop signs. If you get pulled over, check the sign for a sticker

EDIT: Whoa giant picture.

This is fiction. You may believe it all you want to I don't really care. But it's fiction.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Seriously... No-one CARES! It's a friggin' sign! They are made by the thousands, you are not hurting anyone by stealing, no-one is going to bust you. The police is busy solving real crimes, like murder, or trolling on internet forum.

It matters so little, that if you would saw down a sign, and no-one caught you, there is zero risk of getting punished, they'll just replace it, these are replaceable merchandise, it's not like they are made of unicorn tears, rainbows, and a childs laughter. It's just a piece of metal!
Your friend stole a stop sign... why are you friends with this person?
What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft?
E--4-
B--4-
G--4-
D--6-
A--6-
E--4-
Quote by BOYERxBREAKDOWN

Oh god, it's just a stop sign!
Quote by BOYERxBREAKDOWN

I guess he didn't know... when to stop...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!
Quote by Blargaha
Seriously... No-one CARES! It's a friggin' sign! They are made by the thousands, you are not hurting anyone by stealing, no-one is going to bust you. The police is busy solving real crimes, like murder, or trolling on internet forum.

It matters so little, that if you would saw down a sign, and no-one caught you, there is zero risk of getting punished, they'll just replace it, these are replaceable merchandise, it's not like they are made of unicorn tears, rainbows, and a childs laughter. It's just a piece of metal!

That we all paid for with our tax dollars.
Quote by Jackal58
This is fiction. You may believe it all you want to I don't really care. But it's fiction.

Is it? I'm honestly asking, not because I plan on running stop signs, but you never know when a nugget of knowledge like this may come in handy.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by ethan_hanus
That we all paid for with our tax dollars.

I didn't

But seriously, it's all about proportion, that sign probably cost you 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001$
Quote by Blargaha
Oh god, it's just a stop sign!

So?

Quote by racman92
Is it? I'm honestly asking, not because I plan on running stop signs, but you never know when a nugget of knowledge like this may come in handy.

Tell ya what you do. Stop after the sign and check for stickers. Lemme know how it works out for you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
So?

Tell ya what you do. Stop after the sign and check for stickers. Lemme know how it works out for you.

Please see above post about proportions, concentrate on things that actually matters
Oh boy
Quote by Blargaha
I didn't

But seriously, it's all about proportion, that sign probably cost you 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001$

Maybe...but add up all the idiots stealing signs, and government waste, and my ever increasing taxes, but the government continually racking up debt...and it adds up quick.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Maybe...but add up all the idiots stealing signs, and government waste, and my ever increasing taxes, but the government continually racking up debt...and it adds up quick.

Yes, people stealing stop signs and the like are the reason for all of that, not that massive amount of wasted money on the millitary every year.
Page 1 of 2