Hi guys me again! Iwas thinking of building the red special as i find it really interesting! But I do have a couple of questions...

Is there any where i can buy the neck and not have to make one?

What are some cheaper pickups that sound like the trisonic pickups that wont break the bank (anderson *spelling* would be great but 65 bucks a pickup ist really that well with me.)

and finally

Is there an organised list of everything I would need and how to go about making the guitar? This would be my firsst made from scratch guitar and realise it would be a tterrible choice as a first build being itss complexity, but I really like it.

Thanks in advance guys!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Wisthekiller
Warmoth neck maybe.

For pickups, GFS makes some that are supposed to sound right iirc.

Thank you. I actually have a gfs VEH in my frankenstrat and its boss
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
The GFS brighton rocks are supposedly similar to the Tri-Sonics. I have no idea how close they actually are, the Tri-Sonic is a pretty unique design.
The GFS ones are smaller too. They're designed to fit strat sized pickguards.

As for the neck I don't reckon you'll find one to Brian's specs. The fretboard is fairly wide and uses a zero fret, not very common on electric guitars.

There's quite a bit of info about the red special out there. I suggest you do some googling nd find out as much as you can.

This site has some useful info to get you started: http://www.brianmayworld.com/redspecial.html
Quote by Sampy
The GFS brighton rocks are supposedly similar to the Tri-Sonics. I have no idea how close they actually are, the Tri-Sonic is a pretty unique design.
The GFS ones are smaller too. They're designed to fit strat sized pickguards.

As for the neck I don't reckon you'll find one to Brian's specs. The fretboard is fairly wide and uses a zero fret, not very common on electric guitars.

There's quite a bit of info about the red special out there. I suggest you do some googling nd find out as much as you can.

This site has some useful info to get you started: http://www.brianmayworld.com/redspecial.html

There is no one who makes custom necks such as this? That sucks.

My problem is im not to good when it comes down to specifics of things, such as neck angles and headstock angels. I tend to rushstuff.

Also I think I found and easier variant for myself. I think I'll order a hollow body guitar either in shapeof the Red Special or shape one out of a routed pecie of wood from Warmoth, and attempt to hollow it. I dont know, right now I don't think I'll be able to makethe Red Special per say, but a tribute to in another body pretty much. Like maybe a telebody or strat body.

Unless I can some how figure out an easier way to do all of this, im screwed.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
UPDATE:

After some long thinking I'm pretty sure what I want to do now.

I'm thinking of a Semi-Hollow Tele/Strat With a 3 pickup configuration. HOWEVER I am having trouble finding a cheap hollow body strat or a tele with 3 pickups strat sized. And warmoth is way to expensive.

If anyone can help me find one it would be greatly apreciated.

Also I'm thinking of a clear red paint or stain the wood then clear coat.

Also I am going to keep the 6 switch layout as I find that the most interesting thing about this build.

THanks in advance.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Brian May rocks. Best electric guitar player out there ever was.

Google "red special forum", you can find a ton of info about the pickups, wiring and what have you from there.
Brian May got his Ph.D in Astrophysics and was made chancellor of a university. So you can, too.
Quote by Roc8995
Brian May got his Ph.D in Astrophysics and was made chancellor of a university. So you can, too.

Oh then im more than qualified to make one
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
I have been doing it for many years now. Each one is a one of a kind piece they all have a life of their own. I love it when a buyer comes in to pickup the guitar and see it for teh first time. It is like magic....
This picture is of Daniel Gomaz with his band MOMO... he owns the first Relic Red Special we built and he has played with it for 4 years now and over 200 shows a year.

Second pic is Deanna Passarella with Blackwater James she play a Red Special for a couple years and now plays a RS Custom Epic Standard

Both short scaled guitars