Budget: $1000

Genres: Melodic death metal, neoclassical (shred), and of course, some clean classical-style guitar.

I will mostly use this amp for gigs and practice with my (melodeath) band, seeing as how my current puny amp (Vox VT30) will not be enough to outdo my drummer. So it has to be loud. Also, my band's songs consist of heavy distortion (of course) so I would like something that has that nice punch. There is also a neat little solo in some of them so I want it to have be able to have those nice leads. I usually play in a style similar to that of The Black Dahlia Murder, The Faceless, Arsis, Death, Augury, Inferi, As Eden Burns, etc.

I hope this is enough information. I want to see if I can buy a stack with just $1000 but it seems unlikely. I just really need some recommendations so that I can check them out. Metal amps. Big, loud (let's not sacrifice tone for loudness though), metal amps.

Also, I hope for one that isn't running on presets.

My current gear:
Vox VT30
ESP F-100FM w/Dimarzio D-Activator X @ bridge
Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Boss ML-2 Metalcore Pedal

Not much, I know.
So if anyone can help a fellow guitarist out, it'd be really grateful.
Thanks in advance.
everyone will tell you 5150/6505.. but i'm gonna stay away from those for the sake of not sounding like every other -core player out there. Plus you need cleans

it looks like you've got pickups that have some serious grunt, which is good.

IF YOUR BUYING USED:
Mesa DC-3, or Mark III, maybe a Rectoverb or tremoverb combo if rectifiers turn your crank. Sometimes rectifier heads go for lke 900, and you could sit it on a 2x12cab for a couple hunred more. You'll probably want some kinda boost for the rectos, maybe on DC or Mark. People go either way with those

Peavey JSX. Almost as over reccomended as the 6505, but its a seriously great amp for like 700-800 bucks. versatile, and can do everything pretty well. and the ****er is really easy to dial in, i find.

Dont go for a Marshall DSL. If a TSL comes up dirt cheap, its worth checking out, so long as its the 100 watt and you have full control of each gain channel. the 60 is kinda a dumb layout. i;d take a TSL over a DSL anyday, but preferably neither.
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
carvin v3m and whitebox 2x12
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Quote by Carndawgy

Dont go for a Marshall DSL. If a TSL comes up dirt cheap, its worth checking out, so long as its the 100 watt and you have full control of each gain channel. the 60 is kinda a dumb layout. i;d take a TSL over a DSL anyday, but preferably neither.

why don't you recommend DSL's? I think they're pretty nice amps.
Quote by Carndawgy
everyone will tell you 5150/6505.. but i'm gonna stay away from those for the sake of not sounding like every other -core player out there. Plus you need cleans

it looks like you've got pickups that have some serious grunt, which is good.

IF YOUR BUYING USED:
Mesa DC-3, or Mark III, maybe a Rectoverb or tremoverb combo if rectifiers turn your crank. Sometimes rectifier heads go for lke 900, and you could sit it on a 2x12cab for a couple hunred more. You'll probably want some kinda boost for the rectos, maybe on DC or Mark. People go either way with those

Peavey JSX. Almost as over reccomended as the 6505, but its a seriously great amp for like 700-800 bucks. versatile, and can do everything pretty well. and the ****er is really easy to dial in, i find.

Peavey 6534.

The best amp in your budget is the 6505.
Quote by Carndawgy

Yeah, I've heard of those Peavy models. My band doesn't exactly go too much into core. We don't have the CHUG CHUG CHUG aspect in our music. I read reviews on JSX and I'm planning on checking that one out.

I will take a look at that Laney amp. I don't think I'll find it anywhere though.

What about a Mesa Dual Rectifier? Opinion of that? I could try and stretch to a $1400 budget.

Thanks for all the responses.
Hm... definitely check out the Peavey XXX or 6505. Possibly a JSX, but I think a XXX would be a better choice for what you play.

If you can stretch your budget, a Rectifier would be a very good choice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
6505 or a dual recto if u can find one used for a good price.

or take a look at bugeras they make good rip offs of peavys for half the price, i have a 333xl and i play metal and i get a great sound of it, theres also a 6262 which is a 6505 knock off, for the price youd pay for one new you can get a decent 412 cab too for 1000 or less.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Last edited by OurRequiem at Sep 22, 2011,