i okay. my scales and open chords are down. I want to start playing more intermediate level stuff, but im wondering, if i learn a fast lead lick or solo in a song, and i get it down, will that increase my overall speed, or just the speed for that song? Much appreciated.
It will increase your overall skill/speed in things that are technically similar. For example, if you learn to alternate pick one lick at 13nps, you will find it easier to learn other alternate picked licks at those speeds.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
My personal experience: I'll attempt a song. Fail miserably. Try another song. Great success. Try song that I failed. More great success.

Everything you play will make you a better guitarist. Whether it's Iron Maiden or Jack Johnson.
short answer: yes

long answer:yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

anything u learn will make you better!
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Learning songs will build your technique, and will help your songwriting skills to a certain extent. However, writing your own songs will help your songwriting skills even MORE! Improvising will increase your improvising skills faster than learning songs.

It depends what your goals are. Learning songs will make learning more songs easier.

Playing songs is fun!
Quote by fluffymuffins
My personal experience: I'll attempt a song. Fail miserably. Try another song. Great success. Try song that I failed. More great success.

Everything you play will make you a better guitarist. Whether it's Iron Maiden or Jack Johnson.

Never has a truer word been spoken.

well ok, it's a few words.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I disagree that everything you play will make you a better guitarist. I mean if you can play iron maiden songs flawlessly then playing green day songs are not gonna make you any better, probably won't make you any worse but if you played nothing but green day for a week and then went to play along to an iron maiden song, the maiden song may feel a lot more difficult than it used to.

But then again you could say that green day will use different rhythms and play in different keys to iron maiden therefore improving your rhytmic knowlege and knowlege of the fretboard.

The key is VARIETY. If you constantly learn different things then you can't plateau.

Yes i am aware that i probably contradicted myself many times
Quote by mrbabo91
I disagree that everything you play will make you a better guitarist. I mean if you can play iron maiden songs flawlessly then playing green day songs are not gonna make you any better, probably won't make you any worse but if you played nothing but green day for a week and then went to play along to an iron maiden song, the maiden song may feel a lot more difficult than it used to.

But then again you could say that green day will use different rhythms and play in different keys to iron maiden therefore improving your rhytmic knowlege and knowlege of the fretboard.

The key is VARIETY. If you constantly learn different things then you can't plateau.

Yes i am aware that i probably contradicted myself many times

This is not that true though, playing green day songs will make you better. You are thinking technically better, there are other ways to improve. Learning green day songs might learn you some good new chord progressions, rhythms, song structures that you would not find in a maiden song. There more you know = The better you get.
Quote by Sickz
This is not that true though, playing green day songs will make you better. You are thinking technically better, there are other ways to improve. Learning green day songs might learn you some good new chord progressions, rhythms, song structures that you would not find in a maiden song. There more you know = The better you get.

yes i said that i contradicted myself
Quote by fluffymuffins

yea.. thats me exactly. Learning songs really helps my rhythm. So does singing. I dont subject live humans to it, and it sometimes makes the dogs howl but hey... its fun and it improves the playing
he of tranquil mind
Quote by maltmn
Would you guys think Im crazy if I said dancing improves your guitar playing? Because it does... xD

Dancing is preformed to music, and often require you do have a sense of rhythm.
I would say it will improve your sense of rhythm wich can be applied to the guitar, so yes it can improve your guitar playing. Maybe not stuff like fingering and finger independence, but rhythm for sure.
Essentially any exposure to music can make you a better musician if you're consciously aware of the music. Even going to club and just dancing.