i need to clarify and understand two things before i can go about my day normally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfSkG5wj7Zo&feature=relmfu

how is it that that entire thing is in the key of E lydian? if he used lydian all around the fret-board wouldn't he be playing a bunch of chromatic notes?

second, i know the modes and shapes... i noticed people say phrygian mode is the minor scale with a flat second....the phyrgian mode i learned doesn't even have an F note in it (if were playing in G major) the notes...in order are as follows....starting on 6th string..b, c ,d,e,f#,g,a,b,c, d...then back to e on the G string... Why does the phygrian mode im seeing have an F note in it...instead of what i know?

someone clarify, it would be a big help thanks.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Sep 21, 2011,
ok...? its just a simple question that has me stumped?

yes...im STONE COLD certain of those things....
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Why does the phygrian mode im seeing have an F note in it...instead of what i know?

someone clarify, it would be a big help thanks.

You spelt the B Phrygian scale correctly. E Phrygian has an F in it.
oh shit. my bad. total logic fail, never mind.....i still don't they answer to my first question though.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
oh shit. my bad. total logic fail, never mind.....i still don't they answer to my first question though.

About the Lydian mode right? He's not playing chromatic notes, but staying within the confines of the mode.

The backing track is an E Lydian vamp, and that's where it resolves, which is the most important thing.
so hes just playing in a normal major key with the backing track being within the lydian mode???
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
TS, what do you think the chord progression is?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
so hes just playing in a normal major key with the backing track being within the lydian mode???

The key signature will have 5 sharps. But he's not playing in a key, he's playing in a mode.
its not chord i was using that as an example, its some single note thing.

what do you mean it will have 5 sharps...?

E lydian is in the key of B major.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag

Unfortunately not mate.

Whether the song is modal or not will be largely determined by the chord progression and it's effect on the tonal center. What do you think the chord progression is.
Soundcloud
its not a chord progression its some single note thing, that they just probably made up on the spot, i have no idea.

how is not in the key of B major if you go through all of your modes Lydian will be on E???
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag

Nope, modes are not in keys they are two separate concepts
how is such a thing even possible if a mode doesn't belong to a key? you can just do whatever you want???
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
how is such a thing even possible if a mode doesn't belong to a key? you can just do whatever you want???

No.
There should be a certain effect on your solo. If the mode is E lydian, you'll want to use certain notes more or less often than in B major.
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
its not a chord progression its some single note thing, that they just probably made up on the spot, i have no idea.

If you don't know how to identify a chord progression, I highly doubt you'd be able to find whether it was in a key or not. I'd put the modes down for now mate.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
how is not in the key of B major if you go through all of your modes Lydian will be on E???

B major is in the key of B major. E lydian in the mode of E lydian. Resolve to different roots, have different feels and sounds. In any case, if you can't identify a chord progression, I don't think you'd be able to tell whether a song is in either of these things.
Soundcloud
umm...well first of all...not to be rude or anything...but it says it at the beginning of the video...what key its in...also the backing track...ITS NOT CHORDS.... it says KEY: E lydian.

sorry if im coming off to be a dick. good day.

EDIT: try ending on the note you start with of each mode So resolution would be E in E lydian correct?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
umm...well first of all...not to be rude or anything...but it says it at the beginning of the video...what key its in...also the backing track...ITS NOT CHORDS.... it says KEY: E lydian.

Well, dare I say it, but Lick Library have made a typo in naming their DVD's in that manner.

A key is either major or minor, and not to be confused with a key signature. A key signature is a notational device. A mode is a diatonic scale that's defined by the key signature.
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag

sorry if im coming off to be a dick. good day.

EDIT: try ending on the note you start with of each mode So resolution would be E in E lydian correct?

Well then tell me the chord progression, and explain to me why it's in the mode of E lydian.

And if you're asking whether the note you start on determines whether a song is in a mode or not, the answer is no.

You're not coming off as a dick, just as someone who has been improperly educated about modes.
Soundcloud
ok....well i made up a backing track and put it in my jamman solo and soloed in E lydian. but it sounds like a major scale...

what im trying to say here is: whatever mode i play in doesn't sound different then major or minor scale. its those same notes but put into a different pattern.

and there supposed to give off some kind of different sound or something... am i missing something completely..? because they sound no different.

Example when i was playing in E lydian it didn't have any kind of different feel to it other than the sense that i felt i was being pulled toward certain notes. nothing changed
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
What was the progression? Ideally it should have been very few chords.

I'll write out one for you.

-----4---------
-4-2-5-7-12-11
-1-3-4-6-9--11
-2-4-6-8-13-11
---------11----
-0-0-0-0-0--0

what im trying to say here is: whatever mode i play in doesn't sound different then major or minor scale. its those same notes but put into a different pattern.

Patterns are irrelevant.
and there supposed to give off some kind of different sound or something... am i missing something completely..? because they sound no different.

Ironically, focus on the avoid note. Do you know what that is?
Example when i was playing in E lydian it didn't have any kind of different feel to it other than the sense that i felt i was being pulled toward certain notes. nothing changed

Then you weren't playing in E Lydian, unless the "certain note" you were pulled toward was A#.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 22, 2011,
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
ok....well i made up a backing track and put it in my jamman solo and soloed in E lydian. but it sounds like a major scale...

Yes. Because you weren't playing E lydian, you were playing the major scale.
Soundcloud
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag

To be in E Lydian your backing track would have to sound like it resolves to the chord of E major. The strongest tendency for that particular group of notes is to resolve to the chord of B major.

It's the backing track that determines the mode, not your solo.

Writing modally is not just choosing any notes from a given scale. If you do that you'll be writing in a key.

Modal music must, to an extent, be forced to be modal by compositional means; i.e. the music should give the listener the sense that resolution is elsewhere than the key tonic.
Last edited by Jehannum at Sep 22, 2011,
thank you sir, i totally understand now. i completely get it now. its all good thank you.

i didn't need some complicated music theory answer, just straight forward, and i understand it.

credit to jehannums reply
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator