Page 1 of 4
No, I'm not thinking about suicide. I just thought it would be an interesting discussion and yes i know what depression is.

What are your views on suicide. Do you think it is a selfish act? Do you think it is selfish for people to try and prevent their loved ones from doing it? Do you think people who do it are cowards or do you envy *maybe not the best word choice* their guts to go through with it?

Also, I searchbar'd, didn't find anything.

I suggest anyone with the IQ over 80 to stop reading after this post. UGers have a pretty ignorant and unsympathetic view of suicide and of people who commit it so if you want to save yourself some rage-induced moment just stop reading.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by High&Mighty

Also, I searchbar'd, didn't find anything.

I find that very hard to believe.
I believe that if you have no one around you that cares, and that genuinely is the case, I feel that's the only way suicide could not be selfish, there is a rap song called "The Magicians Assistant" (HERE) all about it.

I don't think suicide is ever the answer, despite how much life sucks there is always SOMETHING that can make it better and SOMEONE who cares.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by blake1221

this
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by blake1221

searched "suicide" and "killing yourself" with not really any results. maybe i missed something, idk.
I think the marginalization of suicide victims is one of the most pervasively unnoticed social problems surrounding depression in general. It's pretty awful, insensitive, and just plain thick to call someone facing suicide a "coward."
Quote by maiden_man_666
This thread again...

I think that suicide is wrong, selfish and cowardly.

care to elaborate why?
Suicide is extremely selfish. How could you leave your loved ones to wonder, "Was it my fault?" and suffer all the unnecessary guilt? It is also the death of a coward. If you're gonna die at least go out doing something cooler than sucking the barrel of a gun. Try to fight a bear or some cool shit like that. Then you can die like you wanted and with honor.

Just my $0.02.
This space has been intentionally left blank.
People that say suicide is selfish are generally the selfish ones. They say things like "If somebody killed themselves I'd never see them again and it would cause me pain". That's just thinking of yourself. People don't take into consideration what is going through peoples' minds when they commit suicide. I'm not saying it's bad, but I try to understand people who do it and I don't consider them selfish or cowardly.
I think the villainization of the act is accurate. It hurts a lot of people more than most people who do it think.

That said, that villainization is something only an idiot would give to someone who's depressed and contemplating it. People in that situation don't exactly react well to someone calling them a selfish coward. Honestly, nothing generic is - they need highly individualized support, because it's very much something unique to each case in how it comes to that.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by slipknot5678
People that say suicide is selfish are generally the selfish ones. They say things like "If somebody killed themselves I'd never see them again and it would cause me pain". That's just thinking of yourself. People don't take into consideration what is going through peoples' minds when they commit suicide. I'm not saying it's bad, but I try to understand people who do it and I don't consider them selfish or cowardly.

+1
Quote by High&Mighty
care to elaborate why?

Going to leave you with a slight anecdote:

Kid at my old school was 18, didn't get into the university he wanted so he hung himself from the banister of his stairs. His mum came back and found him.

Think of what his mother felt? You can't honestly think that ending your own life but having a detrimental effect on people close to you is a selfless act?

Euthanasia on the other hand, I support in most cases if it is actually in reason and the choice is supported by family in friends, for example in the case of the England rugby player who was tetraplegic and visited the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.
Check out my fitness blog here
I think it's justifiable. I believe that people who are emotionally mature have every right to remove themselves from the world, and to do so without being judged by others.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Speaking from experience, attempting it felt like the least selfish thing to do at the time. It seemed to me that it was the only way to stop the problems in my life bringing down my family and friends.
I view someone that has committed suicide as someone who has simply given up.

I came to the conclusion that life sucks a long time ago, and I will admit things happen to me from time to time to only further encourage that kind of thinking. But somewhere along the line I started viewing life as a test. Life is always trying to bring you down, throw obstacles in your way, create problems that seem unsolvable, but its going to have to kill my in a freak accident to get rid of me. If I kill myself, life wins, and thats not a satisfaction im willing to grant it.

It works, viewing life as an animate object.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcuZBDu48I

Self harm, that's what they call it.
'Cause it just affects you.
It's your life, your body, so you can choose what you do,
And if one day you can't rein it in,
and of your last breath you are the only witness,
Then so be it, cause it's your last breath,
and it's nobody else's business.
But, how about your little sister?
I mean, you think your life's been bad,
And by no means am I belittling that,
cause I know the troubles you've had
But a teen finding out her sister chose death over life,
Finding out instead of turning to her with your problems, You turned to a knife
That's a whole lot of pain to deal with,
and a whole lot of damage
And the only role model she has is little more than words engraved in granite.
But as you said before, this just affects you.
It's your life, your body, so you can choose what you do.
And if one day you can't rein it in,
and of your last breath you are the only witness,
then so be it, cause it's your last breath,
and it's nobody else's business.
I find it hard to believe that people have tried every single possibility and cant find a way out but i feel bad for people that feel that way...
Quote by maiden_man_666
Going to leave you with a slight anecdote:

Kid at my old school was 18, didn't get into the university he wanted so he hung himself from the banister of his stairs. His mum came back and found him.

Think of what his mother felt? You can't honestly think that ending your own life but having a detrimental effect on people close to you is a selfless act?

Euthanasia on the other hand, I support in most cases if it is actually in reason and the choice is supported by family in friends, for example in the case of the England rugby player who was tetraplegic and visited the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.

The fact that you think this kid hung himself for the sole reason "he didn't get into the university he wanted" shows you have no clue what you're talking about.
Quote by High&Mighty
Do you think it is a selfish act?
Depends.

If a guy kills himself out of a "They'd be better off without me" mentality, I'd hardly consider that selfish.
Quote by High&Mighty
Do you think it is selfish for people to try and prevent their loved ones from doing it?
No. That's called help.
Quote by High&Mighty
Do you think people who do it are cowards or do you envy *maybe not the best word choice* their guts to go through with it?
I don't know.

I'm in no place to judge ANY people who are suicidal or have killed themselves.
Quote by due 07
The fact that you think this kid hung himself for the sole reason "he didn't get into the university he wanted" shows you have no clue what you're talking about.

This. I lost a friend in a similar situation. I can only speculate as to what was going on in his head at the time.

Yes, I lost a friend to suicide and I still think it's justifiable.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
I think it's justifiable. I believe that people who are emotionally mature have every right to remove themselves from the world, and to do so without being judged by others.

I agree. I wish their loved ones could realize thats what they wanted and to only be sad over the fact that they miss the person. (which would be the case with any type of death) But not to be sad becasue they think it is their fault or that they could have done something.
Quote by due 07

Give me more credit than that... I tried to keep it short. Obviously he was going through a lot of shit... But think of his family, and his friends, blaming themselves. It's a selfish act.

Almost as selfish as the bandwagoning sympathisers who didn't know or maltreated an individual who suddenly become their best mate once their dead. Makes me sick.
Check out my fitness blog here
I was just thinking about how these threads always bring out the worst people. And here one is!
i don't know why i feel so dry
Nobody chooses to be alive, so at the very least people should have the right to end their own life. It's selfish of the people who think it's selfish. They are basically saying that people need to live because they want them to. Most people who commit suicide aren't exactly thinking clearly either.
Quote by AtGiza
Nobody chooses to be alive, so at the very least people should have the right to end their own life.

This completely.

Jack Kevorkian anyone?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Sep 21, 2011,
What you have to realise is that the state a of depression, loneliness and regret that a person who commits suicide usually has gone through makes your grief pale in comparison.

I've been through a mild depression myself - though nothing that serious - and I could never call someone who committed suicide selfish. I'd feel for him/her - enormously - but calling it selfish just shows that you don't know what you're dealing with.
Quote by maiden_man_666
But think of his family, and his friends, blaming themselves. It's a selfish act.
It's really not. Honestly, to me it felt like the most selfless thing in the world, like continuing to live would just bring my friends and family more shit that they didn't deserve and could do without. You really don't know what it feels like.
Quote by Kensai

I suggest anyone with the IQ over 80 to stop reading after this post. UGers have a pretty ignorant and unsympathetic view of suicide and of people who commit it so if you want to save yourself some rage-induced moment just stop reading.

Why didn't I listen to you

People who say suicide is cowardly have clearly never attempted suicide before.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Kensai

Just from skimming posts from here-on I already regret not listening and trying to give me two cents.

Reminds me why I stopped most of my posting around here...
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by AtGiza
Nobody chooses to be alive, so at the very least people should have the right to end their own life. It's selfish of the people who think it's selfish. They are basically saying that people need to live because they want them to. Most people who commit suicide aren't exactly thinking clearly either.
People with Boards Of Canada avatars always have smart things to say.
Another thought: People who successfully go through with suicide are doing it even though they are probably very much aware of the hurt which they will cause loved ones and the consequences their actions will have. Can you imagine the level of despair and hopelessness which would drive someone to ignore all of that and still end their own life? Those people saying it's selfish, you honestly don't think they take that into account? Those people saying it's cowardly, you think it's easy to go through with it despite the knowledge of the possible ramifications?

Quote by fail
People who say suicide is cowardly have clearly never attempted suicide before.

Also this.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Yes, it's justifiable. I don't blame anyone who has committed suicide, but neither do I respect them for it. It's a choice that they made, and if they felt the need to do so, then so be it. It's not up to anyone else to make that decision for them. I would always prefer that one would be able to overcome their difficulties, their depression, or whatever it is, and keep on living happily, but sometimes that just doesn't happen. Nobody should blame someone who has killed themselves, or is thinking of it. If you know someone who's suicidal, do your best to help them through it. If it doesn't work, don't blame yourself.

That's my somewhat fragmented collection of thoughts on the subject.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by entity0009
Another thought: People who successfully go through with suicide are doing it even though they are probably very much aware of the hurt which they will cause loved ones and the consequences their actions will have. Can you imagine the level of despair and hopelessness which would drive someone to ignore all of that and still end their own life? Those people saying it's selfish, you honestly don't think they take that into account? Those people saying it's cowardly, you think it's easy to go through with it despite the knowledge of the possible ramifications?

Said it better then I could.
I don't really have much of an opinion on if it's selfish or not or anything like that. I just wonder why people who are so fed up of life they want to die don't go on a giant adventure around the world by any means possible, or attempt to ride a polar bear, or try to swim the pacific, or try to climb a volcano etc. etc.

If you don't mind dying, might as well try to do something really ****ing crazy and if you die in the process then that's a far more fun way to die.
Quote by due 07
I think the marginalization of suicide victims is one of the most pervasively unnoticed social problems surrounding depression in general. It's pretty awful, insensitive, and just plain thick to call someone facing suicide a "coward."

This
Page 1 of 4